"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Head Chef

Do You have a Blog site?

I used to have a blog site but gave it up for lack of time. Now I'm thinking about starting it up again. As you all know I have a lot to say and a head full of thoughts and ideas.
Do you blog? If so, do you blog every day? Is your blog visible to the public or by invitation only? Will you post your blog site on this thread so we can see it?
And most of all, what are the pros and cons of blogging?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Sous Chef

You should definitely start up your blog again. I would be very interested in reading it, I always enjoy your comments.

Mine is curlyandburlyventspot.blogspot.com. B warned, it covers a wide variety of subjects and I tend to be pretty opinionated.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks for posting your blogsite. You have an interesting mind. I did comment, hope it took. What is the downside to blogging? What's the upside?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Sous Chef

The downside is that your relatives will see what you really think. And you might say something you regret and people all over the world will have read it.

The upside is that it is a way to fight back at the media for not telling the whole truth. It's a way to tell a whole bunch of people something at once so you don't have to keep repeating yourself. And it's a good way to keep family and friends updated (I do a family blog with pictures but it's private).

Thanks for visiting the blog. I'm still waiting for others to post theirs. (fingers tapping)

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
This embarasing. I have over 45 years in the computer business and do not have, nor do I know how to get a blog site.

I think you and B's Girl covered anything that I can think of for upside.

Downside.
1) It is a self invited invasion of privacy.

2) It has, on occasion been used by prospective employers in screening for the hiring practice.

3) It has been used against employees.

If you are retired, as I percieve you are Drama Queen, you may not care.

Definitely do not post anything that you do not want everyone to see and spin their way, noy yours.

With all that said, I do have a whole lot, I would like to get off my chest.

Finally, mood is hard to convey in print. None of this is said in a demeaning, or angary way.

AC
Old 10-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
This embarasing. I have over 45 years in the computer business and do not have, nor do I know how to get a blog site.

I think you and B's Girl covered anything that I can think of for upside.

Downside.
1) It is a self invited invasion of privacy.

2) It has, on occasion been used by prospective employers in screening for the hiring practice.

3) It has been used against employees.

If you are retired, as I percieve you are Drama Queen, you may not care.

Definitely do not post anything that you do not want everyone to see and spin their way, noy yours.

With all that said, I do have a whole lot, I would like to get off my chest.

Finally, mood is hard to convey in print. None of this is said in a demeaning, or angary way.

AC
Okay here's your tutorial.

1. It is not an invasion of privacy. When you blog on a subject you expect it to be seen by the general public. But they will only see it if they have your blog address or a link somewhere. If you want to keep it private you can make your blog seen by invitation only. It will be seen by only those whose e-mail addresses you have given your account.

2. Your opinions, meanderings, thoughts, ideas and whatever you blog are a part of the freedom of speech amendment. Your employer cannot see your blog if you haven't given him your blog address and have approved his viewing.

3. See 1 and 2

And yes, I'm retired. Not dead, just retired. Blogging is a lot of fun and you'll soon see how many online friends you make.

No one can see or comment on your blog unless you allow them to do just that. When a comment comes through, if you have your settings set to "notify" you will be alerted by e-mail that a comment has come through to your blogsite. You can read that comment and decide whether or not to allow it to be published in your comment section. I dont' allow any comments I haven't seen . If someone you have allowed onto your blog comments in a way you don't think is appropriate to publish, just hit delete. You have total freedom and control over your blogsite. And you talk about anything from soup to nuts.

If you have something to say, I wish you would share it with us. I love stimulating conversation. Go to B's girl's site and take a look. I'm sure she censors her comments too.
Mine is almost ready and will be called "Out Of A Drama Queen's Mind." watch for it.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Head Chef

I had a blog about 4 years ago but it went dormant. I have an idea for a new blog, which I may start up this winter. My fear is that I won't post enough content to keep it active.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the tutorial DQ.
I'll say that I don't know what the blog thing is all about. I watch ESPN and their people are saying so and so's blog said.... and I wonder what they mean. Why didn't the guy just call a reporter and tell them what he said.
So OK, probably different for a celebrity, maybe they have somebody "blogging" for them, maybe they don't, but I kinda understand the blog thing a little better now.

What I don't understand is, how is a blogsite different from setting up a website or forum? Why not do that instead?
Could a person "stumble" into your blogsite doing a search?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
DQ - I am really not trying to be combative. I do find the subjecy interesting, but, please take a look here.

I put the last paragraph in my post to hopefully convey that I am not trying to be critical. As far as I am concerned retired is good. Hopefully I will get to do that someday.

So how does ont go about "Getting a blog ready?"

One last comment. Making your blog private is one thing. If you do not Google, Yahoo, etc.. will find it and index it. I know someone who built an entire website, got hacked ahd his server was destroyed. He got all his code for his website back from Google.

Thank You

AC
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What I don't understand is, how is a blogsite different from setting up a website or forum? Why not do that instead?
Could a person "stumble" into your blogsite doing a search?

Thanks
A blog is just a website template and kind-of a public diary. It's easier to maintain than a website because it's set up for periodic entries.

I started a blog this summer, mostly so I could share recipes with family and friends. I post a couple times a week and ended up really enjoy it. What's really stunned me, though, is that people actually read it. It's a pretty niche subject, after all (vegan cooking).

myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com