"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Do you have a pool and a kid? I need info on Baby Fences.

I am trying to find info on baby fences for pools. I have found a lot of fences that are specifically made to keep babys save. They are made of a mash weave so that kids can't climb them. Before my wife, I had never seen nor heard of these.

Well we have an inground pool and we want to make sure our daughter is as safe as possible. I have been calling places and these fences seem unbelieveably expensive. My wife wants us to consider other types of fences that are not specifically for babies or kids. I do not think this is a good idea.

For those that have kids and pools, do you have baby fences or any other types of fences?

Just for clarification, I am not talking about a fence around the yard. We already have that as it is required by MA state law. I am talking about a secondary fence just around the pool. Here is an example of what I mean.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You want to be able to have your daughter in the yard and keep her from reaching the pool.

What is it about the other fence options that makes you uncomfortable with them? As long as they keep her out and are not dangerous to her...

Old 04-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Well right now at this age, nothing. But in a few years (maybe sooner) she will be able to climb fences. She actually was trying to climb a chain link fence a few weeks ago. She is not able to do it yet, but it won't be long I am guessing.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Have you talked to a fence guy? They may know about product you would be unaware of and can make recommendations.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah I have talked to a few, but they all push the baby fences because they make a lot more $ off of those.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Executive Chef

IMHO it's better to invest in the fence you know is safe. I'd rather not take any chances and I'm sure you feel the same. I'd get the baby fence. Aidan can scale just about anything. He climbs up the side of the dishwasher to get up on the kitchen counter.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
Master Chef

My SIL and BIL have one. Their kids are a little older now, but, they went ahead and paid the money too. They also got those monitors that would sound if someone where in the pool. They felt completely comfortable after getting the fence though, the monitor was just extra. I would pay the money also. It's worth your sanity.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah we are going to get one of those monitors as well as getting alarms for the doors that lead out to the pool. We don't want to take any chances.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I wish I could help Gb but my pool is an above ground. It had a fence that was screwed onto the rails and went all the way around the perimeter of the pool with a padlock on it. Yours is an inground pool so I'm not sure how a fence would work on that.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Our backyard of course is fenced and we have a fence around the perimeter of the pool and the gate is locked. When in the pool area, all kids have to have on a vest even if they can swim and that is put on before they go out. We have drummed this into Cade's head so he knows no vest, no pool and never disobeys us. All the others will get the same drill, but that locked fence really helps, they also know, try to climb the fench and no pool for a week, no playing on the swings or slides or sand box, so far so good, but a fence is a MUST! If we have a big gathering of adults and kids, parents tend to get to talking, I refuse to be in charge of the kiddies, so no swimming is allowed at all. No price is to big when it comes to our babies.
kadesma