Do you own a GPS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Specifically, does anyone own a Sony car GPS system? My credit card rewards point account would let me get one of these, but I can't find any reviews on it to see if it is a good one or not. Anyone have any experience with it? What do you like to dislike about it?

i don't need one. i have an hts. (husband tracking system)
my wife makes sure she knows where i am at all times...:(

j/k, i'm thinking about getting one as well. i'll be interested in following this thread.

buckytom said:
i don't need one. i have an hts. (husband tracking system)
The key difference between the gps system and the hts system is that the hts does not come with a mute feature :whistling

None by Sony, but I have 3 of 'em.

One in the Navi system in the truck, a handheld (starting to get old), and one in the boat...

I them, especially in the boat. The one in the car is nice though, especially on trips - makes it easy to find an alternate route.

John

I played with my dads last night. He just got the Garmin StreetPilot c330. I liked it a lot. It was very accurate, easy to use, fast.

My rewards points has the Garmin StreetPilot i5 listed as one I can get, but that one does not look nearly as good as my dad's. The StreetPilot i5 does not really look worth it to me.

We demo'd the nav system that you can get on your cell phone and that works well. It costs $10 a month or $3.95 for 24 hours. From Verizon wireless.

I would love to help but I have a 2005 Honda Accord 2-Door Deluxe car and all the music is build in.

I have no idea what it is called but it came from the factory that way.

Over the weekend I went to a store to see if I could play with the Garmin i5 and the Sony to see if I liked either of them. Of course the store did not carry either of those.

Last night I did a bunch of research and it looks like the Sony is just too new to have any reliable reviews. The reviews that I did read were split. People either loved it or hated it.

The i5 had a ton of reviews (or two hundred that I was able to find) and of those only about 6 were bad reviews. Of those 6, about half were because the unit did not work right (manufacturer defect) and that is to be expected with a certain percentage of any electronics gear. The rest of the reviews were great so I went ahead and ordered the i5. It says I should have it in 4-6 weeks, but they said the same thing about my iPod and I got that in about a week. I can't wait to get this thing and start playing.

thanks for the update gb.

guys never ask for directions becuase we prefer maps. pretending an inch equals a mile is one of our specialties!

One of the reviews was pretty funny. A newlywed couple were driving around the country going to a bunch of major league ballparks for their honeymoon. They got the gps just in time for their trip. The husband was sure the marrage would have been a short one had it not been for the gps as a lot of the parks were difficult to find, but his wife never had to ask him to stop for directions once.

We have a Garmin Sport Trac. We can move it from vehicle to vehicle or take it on the boats. We also have Streets & Trips that works with a GPS & a laptop so you can get your route and the GPS will track your progress. I can also use the Streets & Trips for Pocket PC on my cell phone.

The laptop the company provided Bob died and we are hoping to get a new one very soon - he really liked that setup. We have the map CD so we can load the nav. charts for when we're on the water. :)

we have a Navigon transonic, that is a handheld type GPS... you need that with four cars, and, btw, it'S cheaper...
But most important: look at it!
On our trip last week Frank missed teh way twice, first he stopped the Navigation ("We know the way to Stuttgart..") and missed the highway junction.. until I realized he didn't want to turn right it was too late..
and on the way back he was just dreaming....

Back
Top Bottom