"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Hate it. Wish it was January.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I usually like this time of year and have pretty much everything bought for everyone,but this year is tough, I've been out of work since March and most of our family is in Florida for the first time so our Christmas is not going to be very joyous. The one thing that really bothers me is even though the girls (15 & 18) say they understand that there probably won't be anything under the tree this year, it bothers me to not be able to get them anything.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Hate it. Wish it was January.
I have children and grands too. I have been there in the early years with our kids loving and looking so forward to the big day.
But it's always brought on angst as I can't please everyone, get everywhere < on time, get every gift just right and have any time for me. My husband and I have always thought, gad, we don't get to enjoy the holiday cause we've always had to drive to this or that relatives house and there's not relaxing for us from the start of the day forward. That's it, I'm moving to an island.

I don't hate Christmas like you Callisto, but with you I am in wishing it was just good old January.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Lefse, start a new tradition, stay home on Christmas day and visit and do what needs to be done another day. My friend has a big family get together every Christmas - but the weekend before. This way she is home with just her family. Relaxing day, welllll maybe- lol
Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I have a 16 year old, sitting at home is not relaxing, it's exasperating. She's currently into loud music and talking on the internet and expects a TV for a gift. I'm looking forward to our convention in January dealing with 1500 brick people more than I'm looking forward to the weekend of Christmas. I should get a job and volunteer to work that day.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When Buck and I lived back East, all 5 of our children lived at home or nearby. Since moving here 13 years ago, 4 of them have married and 2 have children of their own. None of them live near us. The closest 3 live in the Atlanta, GA area. So, since moving here, we've celebrated Christmas by ourselves.

I shop/make gifts all year long...always have...and, as a result, it's rare I get caught up in the mayhem of shopping, malls, etc. That's one great stress I don't have to worry about. And, because all our family live so far away, I have to get all their gifts mailed well before the holiday. Another stress eliminated or reduced.

Because it's only Buck and me, I do minimal decorating, especially since it has always fallen on my shoulders to decorate and to UNdeocrate when the holiday is over.

Now, as for THE day, Buck and I really, really enjoy it. We get up late, have a nice "special" breakfast and then go into the family room to open gifts. We always have bourbon and ginger ale while we open our gifts and have our favorite Christmas music playing in the background.

Then...we take our time. It is not unusual for us to draw out the gift-opening for 3 hours or more. By mid-afternoon, we're nice and mellow (bourbon and ginger ale helps here), the family room floor is full of torn wrapping paper and ribbon. All this is pure fun for our inside kitties, who think they've died and gone to heaven and they pop in and out of the mess on the floor.

At this point, we decide we should get out of our jammies and put on some "real" clothes. We spend the rest of the day playing with all our goodies, which is usually heavy on music to play and books (especially cookbooks) and talking on the phone with our children, grandchildren and Buck's mom, as well as my brothers and sisters.

I prepare a nice dinner and, when it's all said and done, we crawl into bed at the end of the day happy and grateful.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I feel like a bit of a loner, after reading this thread - I actually really enjoy this time of year.

When I was growing up, my family decided that they weren't going to 'do' Christmas. They gave us a couple of presents at the start of the holidays (so we wouldn't feel left out when we went back to school) but that was pretty much it.

My DH and I do more than they did, but I'm lucky that his family is also pretty relaxed about it. We don't exchange gifts. We'll usually go away for a bit of a holiday, often with my husband's family, but we don't always even do that. This year, we're heading to the south island with his brother and sister, their families, and some other friends. We'll be spending christmas day driving / on the ferry. It'll be great (I'm looking forward to it already).

We have a gift pool at work, and I'll make the other four ladies in my office something special as well. I'll buy a present for my DH (it's a great chance to give him a treat). I'll get a little something for my little brothers and sisters too. Otherwise, that's my gift giving done.

Sometimes I'll decorate the house. I didn't last year, cos we'd just moved in. I probably will this year, cos the tree looks so pretty. But if I don't feel like it, I won't.

I love all the specials on the shops (it's the only time of year that baking goods come on special here, it seems!) and I love the late-night shopping. Mum and Dad farm, so they'll be given a few free hams from companies they buy from - we'll get one, and it's the only time I get ham (mmm....)
Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
Head Chef

It's hard to get into the "Holiday" spirit, when it's 80 degrees/beach weather, & looking up at Palm trees. Guess, at this stage of "the game" I'm sort of apathetic - not necessarily jaded. IMO, the Holidays are more about kids/family and giving thanks (being grateful). Since my family is gone, & I have no little ones, it's really just another day on the calendar for me. I love picking the perfect gift for friends any time of the year. Giving to those who who have very little or nothing and appreciating what I have (not in terms of money) puts this time of year in prespective (for me). I see so many homeless people & folks that have lost their homes to fires here, on the news - & that, breaks my heart. Over the years I have donated a lot. That gives me a sense of selfless giving, with no thank you needed.

The only thing that irks me about the Holidays is, the "obligatory" gift-giving & how much one spends on a gift. In years gone by, I felt stressed when I could not take time off because of work. Guess, it's part of growing up & moving past the little things that don't mean anything; & concentrating on the people & things in life that are most/more important.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #19
Head Chef

I have often thought I'd like to take off to the Caribbean the day after Thanksgiving, and return home on January 2nd.

However, I have a teeny family, who won't be around forever. So, when I'm all that's left, and I'm able to spend the holidays on an island, I will be sorely missing these times and all the effort that is currently driving me nuts.

Joni Mitchell sang, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone." I try to keep that in mind. :-)

Lee
Old 11-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
The only thing that irks me about the Holidays is, the "obligatory" gift-giving & how much one spends on a gift.
I was so impressed yesterday when my colleague let us know that she didn't intend to get us any presents - she is limiting her gift-giving to family. Seriously - we both know that the bottle of wine or whatever she would have given me isn't worth the extra stress for her. I'll make her some goodies, but it's nice that she was happy to pipe up so I won't expect anything from her, and she won't worry wondering whether I did (and am consequently offended)