Do you 'really' enjoy this time of year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've turned into a Scrooge the past few years. I think my reason is that my boys are older and it just isn't the same. It's just another day around my house with a few gifts, that's it. I love the music, the lights and decorations, and I love being around our families to catch up, but, that is it!!

Tell them the road goes in both directions!!! Not that our families ever listen to that.

Our families never understood that either. My dh and dk's and I were always the travelers. We had to go see my mother and her husband, my father and his wife and dh's
parents too, usually all in the same day. For some reason, no one ever said, let's just do it at your house.
When we arrived at each place, we were either greeted with happiness or anger. My mom was usually the first on our list to visit so things were good there. It went downhill from there as my father and his wife were annoyed that we had little time to spend there and my dh's folks would always say, "it's about time you got here, dinner's cold, let's eat." Very welcoming? Nope...

I really do love it, I just get stressed that I don't have the time / money to make and do all the things I want to for everyone.

We used to run around all day, but after the 2nd kid, we decided that no, it is our turn to make our own traditions. Christmas Eve is with my side at my house, my brother and SIL have no kids and aren't going to. Everyone chips in with dinner, we hang out and watch the kids open presents from my brother and parents. They all go home by about 7, DH and I get to hang out in the kitchen while I put the strata together for the morning.

In the morning we just enjoy our kids. They play, I put together whatever I am bringing to DH's moms house and we go about 3. Some relaxing, some visiting, nobody's angry because WE said what WE will do and that's that. Nobody gets to have expectations of us.

Now if I could just remember everything at the store I could start playing with candy recipes!!!!!

One of the things I so enjoy about the Holidays, is watching the old b/w movies, like the original Scrooge w Allister Simms (sp), Holiday Inn (& another oldie, w Barabara Stanwyk (sp) - was it Christmas in Connecticut?, Miracle on 34th Street (w Natalie Wood) -- curling up on the couch w hot chocolate topped w marshmellows, or a slice of hot pumpkin pie w the whipped cream sliding off the top. Maybe it's the food. :LOL:

Last edited:
I used to get really stressed out at this time of year. Then, I learned to let go of it. I didn't have to buy the best gift for everyone I knew, I didn't have to have an open house for 100, I didn't have to make 40 different appetizers, I didn't have to do everything everyone else wanted / expected me to do. Now, I buy what I want for who I want. There will just be the two of this Christmas (same as last year), and we are starting to make our own traditions, which is really fun.:)

oh no, not another woman who prefers ice.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

well, i guess i could work more o.t.. :wacko:

I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm staying with my family, and DH is obviously coming here. My parents have other people 'there own age' coming, which is great, if we are not just the to of us I'd rather be a jolly group I suppose. But last year, just us, was SO wonderful, I think we even stayed in pjs all day and we ate some, went to bed some, watched tv some. This year will be smart clothes, serving drinks and we'll not get to chat to each other.

There is inevitable pressure and tantrums from DH's fsamily, and my sister's family and I just hate that, reall, so much.

" We had to go see my mother and her husband, my father and his wife and dh's parents too, usually all in the same day. "

For 30 years, I spent almost every Christmas travelling cross country to spend it with my parents. (There are 6 other siblings who didn't). Last year for the first time, I went to VA. You should have heard the comments from some! I guess they've gotten used to the idea, no comments so far this year! :)

" I think we even stayed in pjs all day and we ate some, went to bed some, watched tv some."

I think this may be part of our new tradition. Thank you for the sage advice, lulu!!!:LOL:

I love this season.

Christmas really is about celebrating the real reason for the season, so that alone makes this time of year amazingly special.

I love that my family puts everything aside just to hang out together.
I love that the weather cools down, and occasionally, we'll even get rain (like today - our first real rain of the year)
I love that the sweet lady at WalMart sings along to the Christmas Carols while she rings up your sale.
I love that my kids (12 & 15) still look forward to seeing the Salvation Army's "red-bucket-guys" and joyfully put in their own money.
I love that around this time of the year, my friends don't mind how much butter and cream I use in recipes.
I love "A Charlie Brown Christmas".
I love that my parents don't mind what day we celebrate with them (usually mid-month), and are just happy that we spend quality time together.
I love that we don't do the "obligatory" giving. We only gift those in our close family.
I love that baking cookies for others can be such a wonderful experience!
I love that we send Christmas Cards to remind our friends how dear they really are to us.
I love that I've had another year to spend with my family.

And the list could go on and on and on.

and if anyone needs a dose of the Christmas Spirit, my door is always open.

I do like this time of year. I love wearing sweaters! The only things I'm really missing are insulation and central heating. Other than that, I do enjoy fall/winter. I'm very light-skinned, so I really shun the sun. Winter is great for staying indoors.

I love that jkath's first rain will be our first snowstorm tomorrow...

except that I have to work and HATE snow driving.

Wish me luck and good bagels?!

Happy Holidays!

I really, really do enjoy this time of the year....I miss loved ones who have passed away so very much, but When Christmas doesn't make my heart swell up it until it nearly pops, or fill my eyes with tears, or make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....then I will know that someting inside of me is dead! :(

But hey!!! That Ain't gonna happen!! It's to ingrained in me...;)

:)They have predicted a huge snow storm for tonight 1-2 feet at our elevation 7500 ft.This is good news for the ski areas as they have had not much so far.

It's a time of festivals, family and friends. I love our change of seasons in the mid- Atlantic because I can do long slow cooked stews, soups and roasts, late fall and winter dishes.

I know some are lonely and some are stressed due to family and work situations. I just take it a day at a time and refuse to be taken in by the rush. I will have my holidays (Holy days) as I see fit. My friends and family are welcome to join me if they can slow down to my pace.

I really, really do enjoy this time of the year....I miss loved ones who have passed away so very much, but When Christmas doesn't make my heart swell up it until it nearly pops, or fill my eyes with tears, or make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....then I will know that someting inside of me is dead! :(

Well said, Uncle Bob!!! I ain't dead yet! Hooray!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom