"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #21
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
I feel like a bit of a loner, after reading this thread - I actually really enjoy this time of year.
Oh my gosh, don't feel like a loner. I am so happy for you that you love it. I only wanted to know if I was alone in my thoughts about this time of year. It's comforting knowing others are stressed too is all.

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #22
Executive Chef
I'm not stressed, I just hate this time of year. All those trees cut down for no reason left to die for a couple weeks of stinking up the house. The fighting over scraps at the sale table. The lights the neighbors won't turn off so you can sleep. And the political correctness angle of having to be nice to the woman who moved in with your father under false pretenses. I really hate all holidays that involve dealing with my family, I don't just hate Christmas.

If I was the one going to my aunt's ski lodge rather than my father and that woman coming to my house, I might feel differently, but as of now, I really hate December.

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #23
Master Chef
Christmas has always meant church for us. The advent wreaths and hymns and special music is what helps me get through the season. It helps keep me focused on the true meaning. After my mother passed away 4 years ago, I find I spend less time stressing about stuff. If it doesn't get done, oh well (consequently no cards sent the past 2 years!). This year is my turn to host my family celebration but we will have it on the 30th. My kids and hubby and I will celebrate Christmas eve by going to church then in the AM will open gifts. We usually find a new DVD and watch a movie together before my oldest goes to work at the restaurant. The rest of us go have dinner with him cooking for us that evening. The part I hate is driving the 10 hours to visit my in-laws. Last year was the first year we didn't go at all. It was so nice. But MIL's BD is Dec.28th and she is turning 80 this year so must make an appearance.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #24
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I LOVE the Christmas season! I am one of the world's biggest kids at Christmas! The special programs at church, the bright and colorful Christmas displays, the decorated trees, looking for just the perfect gift for everyone (or dreaming of the perfect gifts when we can't afford anything). Even the last two Christmases when we could only afford one small meal a day and those meals weren't very big, I love Christmas! I know some people say that people are crabbier this time of year, but I have never seen that. Everywhere I go, people are more cheerful and giving (yes, some are stressed and it shows, but even the stressed out ones I see are still cheerful for the most part). But when it is all said and done, I am the most happy when I stop to remind myself of the true meaning of Christmas. Even when I am stressed that brings me peace.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #25
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I am wishing you all a very "Merry Christmas" early, whatever it may be. Katie E, your day sounds wonderful, Bless you both !
Barb L.

Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #26
Head Chef
I love it...all of it....every song, party, card, cookie, friends, family, gifts, giving.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #27
Executive Chef
Assuming you're talking about Christmas, it sure isn't what it used to be. Namely a very special time of the year when there was no talk of getting away. It used to be a time for families to put aside their daily woes and join together in a celebration, when people became more civil towards each other, and even during wartime for nations to call a truce to celebrate a special holiday. There was a time when I wondered why Christmas couldn't be celebrated many many times per year.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Christmas has always been a big fight in our family... as a child of divorced parents... now add Paul's family into the mix and it gets quite stressful. We've always had to drive for hours and then "deal" with my family and drive more hours to have fun with his.... a few years ago we started doing X-mas with his family one year and Thanksgiving with mine switching the next year so that my Mom gets x-mas everyother year ( according to her it only counts if we are there to celebrate on December 25th. One day early or late and it doesn't count. She doesn't get her Christmas! She's quite a pain about it.

This year however
I put my foot down!!! I'm having Christmas at my house. I get to be the mom and plan the menu and do the decorating and be in charge. It's much nicer and so far (even though there have been pleanty of complaints) I'm liking it much better!! : )
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #29
Executive Chef
I have until this year always worked on Christmas.I dont get excited about it much.I just think the media has over hyped it.I think its nice to give gifts but I do that all year round just because.Over loading the kids with gifts is something I dont think should happen just because its Christmas.Too much money spent on things people neither want nor need.It would be nice if everybody took some of the overkill spent on Christmas and donate to a worthy cause for people that have nothing.You could buy a goat or cow or sewing machine etc for someone in a third world country.Something that small literally can change their lives fot the better.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #30
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
My fiancee and I go to Indiana University together, I'm just finishing my undergrad in a couple of weeks and she's about to start grad school. Ironically, we both come from the same neighborhood, and in HS we lived about 3 blocks away. It's fortunate for us that we can at least go home to the same town every holiday. However, we both hold jobs, and so when we get home it's usually for 3 days max. The entire time home is spent driving. And it seems like every x-mas after we get back to Bloomington, we swear we'll never go home for x-mas again, that it's just too stressful and too much work. Every year though, we just duck our heads and push through it. We hate that it has to be that way, and my dad and stepmom make the holidays easier by scheduling their festivites around our schedule, but it's still a hassle to visit my dad, my mom, my grandparents, her parents, her extended family... usually all on the same day, and everywhere we go people complain that we can't stay longer. We wonder why we continue to go home even though all we hear the whole trip is that we never stay home long enough.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote