"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #41
Master Chef

I've turned into a Scrooge the past few years. I think my reason is that my boys are older and it just isn't the same. It's just another day around my house with a few gifts, that's it. I love the music, the lights and decorations, and I love being around our families to catch up, but, that is it!!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
Tell them the road goes in both directions!!! Not that our families ever listen to that.
Our families never understood that either. My dh and dk's and I were always the travelers. We had to go see my mother and her husband, my father and his wife and dh's
parents too, usually all in the same day. For some reason, no one ever said, let's just do it at your house.
When we arrived at each place, we were either greeted with happiness or anger. My mom was usually the first on our list to visit so things were good there. It went downhill from there as my father and his wife were annoyed that we had little time to spend there and my dh's folks would always say, "it's about time you got here, dinner's cold, let's eat." Very welcoming? Nope...

Old 11-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I really do love it, I just get stressed that I don't have the time / money to make and do all the things I want to for everyone.

We used to run around all day, but after the 2nd kid, we decided that no, it is our turn to make our own traditions. Christmas Eve is with my side at my house, my brother and SIL have no kids and aren't going to. Everyone chips in with dinner, we hang out and watch the kids open presents from my brother and parents. They all go home by about 7, DH and I get to hang out in the kitchen while I put the strata together for the morning.

In the morning we just enjoy our kids. They play, I put together whatever I am bringing to DH's moms house and we go about 3. Some relaxing, some visiting, nobody's angry because WE said what WE will do and that's that. Nobody gets to have expectations of us.

Now if I could just remember everything at the store I could start playing with candy recipes!!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #44
Head Chef

One of the things I so enjoy about the Holidays, is watching the old b/w movies, like the original Scrooge w Allister Simms (sp), Holiday Inn (& another oldie, w Barabara Stanwyk (sp) - was it Christmas in Connecticut?, Miracle on 34th Street (w Natalie Wood) -- curling up on the couch w hot chocolate topped w marshmellows, or a slice of hot pumpkin pie w the whipped cream sliding off the top. Maybe it's the food.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #45
Executive Chef

I used to get really stressed out at this time of year. Then, I learned to let go of it. I didn't have to buy the best gift for everyone I knew, I didn't have to have an open house for 100, I didn't have to make 40 different appetizers, I didn't have to do everything everyone else wanted / expected me to do. Now, I buy what I want for who I want. There will just be the two of this Christmas (same as last year), and we are starting to make our own traditions, which is really fun.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i need to go shopping.
Oh, EXCELLENT!!! I'd like a diamond tennis bracelet, please.

Lee
Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

oh no, not another woman who prefers ice.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

well, i guess i could work more o.t..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh no, not another woman who prefers ice.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

well, i guess i could work more o.t..
I'd rather have an iPod I promise I've been a good girl this year
Old 11-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #49
Head Chef

I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm staying with my family, and DH is obviously coming here. My parents have other people 'there own age' coming, which is great, if we are not just the to of us I'd rather be a jolly group I suppose. But last year, just us, was SO wonderful, I think we even stayed in pjs all day and we ate some, went to bed some, watched tv some. This year will be smart clothes, serving drinks and we'll not get to chat to each other.

There is inevitable pressure and tantrums from DH's fsamily, and my sister's family and I just hate that, reall, so much.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #50
Executive Chef

" We had to go see my mother and her husband, my father and his wife and dh's parents too, usually all in the same day. "

For 30 years, I spent almost every Christmas travelling cross country to spend it with my parents. (There are 6 other siblings who didn't). Last year for the first time, I went to VA. You should have heard the comments from some! I guess they've gotten used to the idea, no comments so far this year!

" I think we even stayed in pjs all day and we ate some, went to bed some, watched tv some."

I think this may be part of our new tradition. Thank you for the sage advice, lulu!!!