"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Do you 'really' enjoy this time of year?

For many it's joyous and for some it's a time of stress.
It's lovely to view the adornments and hear the music and see the sights but hard to get into it somehow.

Where as it's supposed to be one way, around this household my husband and I discuss just wanting to go away over the holiday.

It's hard to say why but it's just come to that. It's asking a lot of anyone to admit, but right now, I'd appreciate knowing how others deal with the angst and stress that accompany this time of year.

We know and appreciate the reason for the season and are extremely grateful, that goes without saying. It appears set aside in lue of buying/spending/getting/going stuff.

What is your take on this season and how do you deal with the angst that can be associated with it?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Executive Chef

To me it is a laborious time of year which usually means hours of driving on the day for me, so I get very tired just thinking about it. Not so bad driving out but driving home again is frought with danger as people who don't usually drive are suddenly thrust behind the wheel because the other parties have been drinking, or worse, the person behind the wheel has been drinking. There is the rush of the morning to leave, (no relaxing Christmas Day breakfast here!), the looks we then get cos we didn't arrive earlier, and yet they still aren't ready when we get there. Then for every minute we are at lunch, is equal to two minutes in the car. Then when we get home, we get to run around feed cats, freshen up, and get back in the car again to see the rest of the family. By the time we get home again, I am done.

This year sounds like a quiet Christmas, and I won't be unhappy!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Lefse,
yes it is stressful and yes you want to run and hide..But, you do the same thing over and over until you just want to leave town. I've felt that way, but kept doing this for my kids, and then the grandkids..The cooking, the shopping, the oh dear I forgot to get something for, etc etc get to you and you get a tad resentful..Of course Christmas, watching the babies and seeing their faces makes you feel warm and fuzzy..But the day after, you think what the dickens do I do this for..Let me tell you, get sick, and have the things you always do yanked away, yes it really hurts, but, the stress is less letting someone else in to help you, doing less persents per person sure eases things up as well..I adore my family and would go get the moon for them, but, after all that has happened, I finally realize that when they say mom, one gift is enough, we just want to be here with you..It is enough and I've been given the best gift of all, the love of my family..So, yes, the holidays use to be very stressful, but I still love them and being able to see and be here one more time.So, change your routine to fit you and your DH the other will fall in line..I bet they will even say yahooo
kadesma
Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Although a part of me enjoys this time of year, I mostly find it to be a big double helping of stress. Expectations are too high. Too much to do, not enough time. And it seems that bulk of the work involved falls into the lap of the lady in the house. I decorate the house, the tree, the porch, do the shopping, menu planning, cooking, wrapping, baking, Christmas cards, etc. etc.

Ugh, I gotta go!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

It takes me awhile to get into the holiday. Once the spirit catches up with me, I get into it and don't mind the extra effort required to deal with the parties, open houses, family get togethers, travel, etc.

This yea SO and I are flying to Florida to spend Christmas with her family and take a short trip to Epcot. My daughter-in-law has already told me she would send me a menu to cook for our TWO Christmas dinners.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My daughter-in-law has already told me she would send me a menu to cook for our TWO Christmas dinners.
At least she HAS warned you Andy!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Christmas

We have hosted Christmas breakfast for DH's family for 20+ yrs now. Sometimes it is in the am and sometimes the pm but always on Christmas. We are never able to please every sibling as to time or to what they are to bring for the meal but I remind them that they choose to come to our house because DH is the only son, and I am the only insane person willing to host for over 30 people!! Also, we always have Christmas for my side of the family to do during Christmas day, usually around 1:00 pm. Somewhere in there, between it all, the children and grandchildren come to exchange gifts also!! Isn't Christmas grand!!!
Stress lasts minutes, memories a lifetime.
DawnT
Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

this year is gonna be great.

i'm sorry it's stressful for you and yours lefse. maybe you could go out and rent yourself a three and a half year old that really believes in santa claus?

i couldn't have been more happy to see my boy, mesmerized, as he watched (and understood) "fosty the snowman" and "santa claus is coming to town" for the first time. his eyes we glazed over throughout, mouth agape. (i fed him a huge dinner by stuffing forkfuls into his mouth that night ).
he woke up in the middle of the night, and ran to get his newest favourite toys to sleep with, so the burger meister meisterburger wouldn't get them. it was really cute.

also, at this age you have to employ every technique available to get cooperation from a toddler, so a little threat of notifying santa about bad behaviour goes a long way.

besides the home front, i'm back in charge of my dept.'s christmas party at work. there's usually a few people who get involved, all butting heads to try to get things done their way. but this year, i was given the ball to run with. so i'm doing the cooking, while everyone else brings in appetizers and desserts. i'm making a salad, sunday gravy, 2 lasagnas (1 sausage, 1 veggie), pasta primavera, and chicken piccata.

the only down side is that i might have to come into work on christmas day if a person, low in seniority but has certain tricks to pull (ain't equality in the workplace great? ) so that if she doesn't get it off, no one does. i'm hoping if that happens, i'll do a very short 10a to 6p shift, which will end up being more like am 11-4.

i love shopping this time of year as well. i guess it's the provider/ hunter gathherer instinct in me, but i love to buy my wife and family presents. even if it costs 'till it hurts, i'll find some way to pay for it.

anyway, i hope everyone who feels badly at this time of year can remember when it was like in a child's eyes, magical and exciting, and maybe feel a little bit of the spirit of the season.

if not, then no prob. somebody's gotta be on the bad list, or else it's a scam... he hee.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I enjoy it a lot more since I started doing the shopping online We don't have children, so we only go all out with decorating when we're hosting an exchange student (every other year) and so have teenage help DH and I might take a small trip together somewhere - our families are both WAY out of state (MI, IL, CA) and we don't go where they have snow for Christmas anymore, so it will probably be just the two of us. Some finishing touches on our kitchen renovation project will probably be our gift to each other.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Thank goodness for grandchildren, especially when one is 3 yrs. old. Christmas would probably be so much different without them. Since we retired, we buy just for the grandsons. Having a big dinner is my gift to the rest. We don't entertain, or have family to visit. Sometimes I have to force myself to decorate. But once started I am fine, love my tree in the morning with my coffee - the only lights on. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday, just takes a little more effort now.