"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Do you really want Jell-O?

snopes.com: JELL-O and Horses' Hooves

__________________

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
Yup, new vegetarians always freak when they find out! I didn't eat jello even before I gave up meat! Yuk!
__________________

__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
I had no idea. Strange. I wonder who thought this up.

And the next time I have jello I'll say, "yum. Nice horse meat!"
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,894
Yep. I've known that for almost forever, but it doesn't bother me. I grew up in a family where one of my father's favorite treats was pig's feet my grandmother made for him. I can still see him lifting one of the feet out of the gelatinous goo they were cooked in.

As a matter of fact, anyone who makes soups and stocks with bones has seen the "jell" effect bones have.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,209
Finding uses for all parts of an animal is a great way to minimize waste. It doesn't seem very different from using rendered fat to make gravy.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,033
Yep.. I knew that.. that's what gelatin is.

And Bleu cheese / Stilton is full of mold

And Scrapple is pig parts

And then there is blood sausage, head cheese, the list can go on and on..
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
jeninga75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga
Posts: 721
Not meaning to debunk anything as nothing on the internet is necessarily true or false, and I do love snopes.com, very cool site, but I found this...

Source: Gelatin information, news, history and more about halfway down. Says on another page that the start of the process starts with degreased, dried, crushed bone or pigskin. That's under the raw materials and production tab.

Q.Isnít Gelatin made from horse hooves?
A.No. Horse hooves are made of keratin, the same material as your hair and fingernails. Gelatin cannot be made from keratin.
__________________
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown
jeninga75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
Not meaning to debunk anything as nothing on the internet is necessarily true or false, and I do love snopes.com, very cool site, but I found this...

Source: Gelatin information, news, history and more about halfway down. Says on another page that the start of the process starts with degreased, dried, crushed bone or pigskin. That's under the raw materials and production tab.

Q.Isnít Gelatin made from horse hooves?
A.No. Horse hooves are made of keratin, the same material as your hair and fingernails. Gelatin cannot be made from keratin.
Interesting, thanks for the link..
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
jeninga75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga
Posts: 721
Ya, I guess it's no better that pigskin or crushed bone though as far as being a vegetarian.
__________________
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown
jeninga75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
I hope no one thinks that just because the link says Jello and horse hooves, that Snopes says it is made from horse hooves. The article says that it is made from boiling animal bones and hides. The last sentence states that it is a popular belief that it is made from horse hooves, but that Kraft (who makes Jello) assures us that it is not made horse hooves.

Like they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. If we choose to read articles such as this, we need to make sure to read all of it.

Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I hope no one thinks that just because the link says Jello and horse hooves, that Snopes says it is made from horse hooves. The article says that it is made from boiling animal bones and hides. The last sentence states that it is a popular belief that it is made from horse hooves, but that Kraft (who makes Jello) assures us that it is not made horse hooves.

Like they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. If we choose to read articles such as this, we need to make sure to read all of it.

Barbara
I agree that people should read all of it. Snopes can be misleading sometimes. Just thought it was an interesting read.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I agree that people should read all of it. Snopes can be misleading sometimes. Just thought it was an interesting read.
I go to Snopes quite often myself.

Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I go to Snopes quite often myself.

Barbara

I go there , especially if people send me emails about something and want me to pass it on to others, I check there first.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,540
then, here ya go, elsie!!!

snopes.com: Chain Letters
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
Hahaha! I hate those stupid emails....I always delete them!
__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
then, here ya go, elsie!!!

snopes.com: Chain Letters
yep, that is the one I send back to those who send those stupid chain letters.
__________________

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×