Do you recycle gifts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Rolling my eyes at those totally tacky moments that give regifting a bad name. Like I said, I read recently that regifting is becoming quite fashionable and the "in" thing to do. I thought the idea of a shower with "recycled" gifts was a really good one.

I've also been thinking about some of the rules of etiquette we've all been taught and how we need to be flexible and change with the times. I wonder if Miss Manners is going to write an updated book for this millennium? I am sure she would include email thank yous and regifting in there. Those are thoughts for another thread though.

This season I've already received something I intend to regift and I have no guilt or qualms about it. Its a lovely bottle of wine, going to someone who will truly appreciate it. I would not enjoy it as much as this person so...off it goes.

And for the record, anyone who is thinking of sending me presents this year...I am totally good with recycled stuff. Trash to Treasure as Oscar says. :LOL:

This kind of brought up another thought for me. Again, I am not against re-gifting, just haven't had much occasion to do so. And yes, better used by someone that needed it than left on a shelf somewhere.
But, do any of you think part of the reason re-gifting is on the rise could be because there seems to be less thought going into gift giving? What I am trying to say is that if you are very careful about the gifts you give, then it seems there would be few occasions for it to need to be re-gifted, and vice versa.
An example I used to my wife was what would happen if one of our Mormon friends invited us over and we brought a bottle of wine as a gift, not a very well thought out gift and sure to be re-gifted if not completely refused, LOL.
Just wondering.

I think there is a lot more to it than just that Mav. That may be one part of it, but there are many other factors. People get so many gifts these days. Each holiday season I find I am getting duplicates from different people. You can not always return them because you do not know where they came from or can not get to the place that sold it. Also there are things like Yankee Swaps where you are not buying a gift for someone specific so thought really can't go into it. Lot of people end up with gifts from a Yankee Swap that they have no need or desire for, but other people might love them so re-gifting is perfect (IMO) there.

This kind of brought up another thought for me. Again, I am not against re-gifting, just haven't had much occasion to do so. And yes, better used by someone that needed it than left on a shelf somewhere.
But, do any of you think part of the reason re-gifting is on the rise could be because there seems to be less thought going into gift giving? What I am trying to say is that if you are very careful about the gifts you give, then it seems there would be few occasions for it to need to be re-gifted, and vice versa.
An example I used to my wife was what would happen if one of our Mormon friends invited us over and we brought a bottle of wine as a gift, not a very well thought out gift and sure to be re-gifted if not completely refused, LOL.
Just wondering.
This is why gift cards and cash are very popular gift items. I personally prefer giving these as gifts myself. I don't need stress myself over what to get for such and such person...

This is why gift cards and cash are very popular gift items. I personally prefer giving these as gifts myself.

We did this for several people as well. Two were VISA gift cards, the other two were to specific to places they requested gift cards for.

Maverick, you made me laugh with the above--had I ever sent a gift card or gift certificate to my parents they would have been quite upset with me. They expected their children to purchase thoughtful and appropriate presents for all occasions that required gifts. And in my family, we also gave gifts "Just because". Just because I love you or just because I saw this and thought of you or just because I knew how much you wanted this....etc.

I actually love present shopping!

Edited to add: I guess that you all can tell that I was the baby of the family raised by parents twice my age. I was raised pretty old-fashioned.

Maverick, you made me laugh with the above--had I ever sent a gift card or gift certificate to my parents they would have been quite upset with me. They expected their children to purchase thoughtful and appropriate presents for all occasions that required gifts. And in my family, we also gave gifts "Just because". Just because I love you or just because I saw this and thought of you or just because I knew how much you wanted this....etc.

I actually love present shopping!

Edited to add: I guess that you all can tell that I was the baby of the family raised by parents twice my age. I was raised pretty old-fashioned.

Oh I love shopping for presents as well, and I often 'just because' gifts for the wife. But in this case they were requested as they came off the Angel tree at church. Each card had a 'sensible' gift request like pants or shirts or coats and then one 'wish' gift. We picked up four kids. Two of em wanted digital cameras so that is what we got them; one wanted a gift card to Game Stop; the other wanted a Target gift card.
The other two went to our neighbor who is in the Army. He has done three tours in Iraq and is finishing his 4th in NC, I think, on a base down there. His wife and youngest son is down there with him, but they came back up here to spend the holidays with their two oldest kids who are still living in the house up here.
Their two favorite restaurants are Applebees and Famous Daves so we got em one from each.
Funny thing is one of my wifes clients got her a Blockbuster gift card last Christmas and it is still in her wallet, LOL.

Oh I love shopping for presents as well, and I often 'just because' gifts for the wife. But in this case they were requested as they came off the Angel tree at church. Each card had a 'sensible' gift request like pants or shirts or coats and then one 'wish' gift. We picked up four kids. Two of em wanted digital cameras so that is what we got them; one wanted a gift card to Game Stop; the other wanted a Target gift card.
The other two went to our neighbor who is in the Army. He has done three tours in Iraq and is finishing his 4th in NC, I think, on a base down there. His wife and youngest son is down there with him, but they came back up here to spend the holidays with their two oldest kids who are still living in the house up here.
Their two favorite restaurants are Applebees and Famous Daves so we got em one from each.
Funny thing is one of my wifes clients got her a Blockbuster gift card last Christmas and it is still in her wallet, LOL.

i got two tickets to the movie theater last year. still had them, regifted to a friend that goes to movies a lot. let someone that will really enjoy them have them.

i thought i'd revive this old thread about regifting--a practice that is probably even more widely practiced in 2011 than back in 2008 when this thread made its rounds. i'm still not a re-gifter myself, but am not opposed to the practice.

i do want to share with you an experience i had a few years ago, with a "secret" christmas gift exchange at work. there was only one lady at my job who i didn't much like. this lady drew my name and had to present me with a christmas gift. i'm just glad i didn't open the gift at work, in front of other people. i would have been embarrassed, a little for myself, but mostly for the lady gift-giver. what is was: a gift tea set--cow mugs, a sugar dish and assorted teabags. the problem? the mugs were decorated with the annual year printed on them--from two years prior! the tea itself was actually out-of-date! so, i'll leave you to draw your own message or lesson from my little story...and happy gifting, and regifting! :)

This topic reminds me of an old story.

A woman received a beautiful silver platter for a gift. It was engraved with her initials. It was lovely but not something she could ever use. As she had a wedding to go to in the near future, she had an idea. She took it to her jeweler and asked him if he could remove her initials and replace them with the bride-to-be's initials. The jeweler examined the platter carefully through his jeweler's loop and responded: "Yes, I can do it, but this will have to be the last time it's done."

I don't receive or give gifts. If I want something, I buy it. As I get older, I buy less stuff and give more stuff away. I have far too much stuff as it is. However, friends do the same, if they have something they think I might like, it will get offered. That's how I got the dishwasher for the farm. But I don't receive Christmas or birthday gifts.

Last edited:
I am a regifter. I keep a drawer filled with new items I accumulate throughout the year and pull a quick gift from it when the need arises.

I am a scrounge when it come to antiques and collectibles so I also give things to people who have seen them in my home and expressed an interest in them. It allows me to keep shopping.

Many years ago I received a very pricey bottle of champagne as a gift from a business associate. I took it to a friends house as a hostess gift. A few weeks later I was at a New Years party and the bottle surfaced again, under the arm of another friend. The whole group cracked up because everyone recognized it. That night we popped the cork and put it out of its misery!

I don't receive or give gifts. If I want something, I buy it. As I get older, I buy less stuff and give more stuff away. I have far too much stuff as it is. However, friends do the same, if they have something they think I might like, it will get offered. That's how I got the dishwasher for the farm. But I don't receive Christmas or birthday gifts.

I was about to start a line about this very subject! How to create less stress at the holidays. I'll still do it.

The only thing I re-gift are bottles of wine (i throw a big party early in the season and receive so many bottles!) and food items (again, crackers and such that I bring on to the next party). I live in a very small town, so it would be embarassing for someone to find something in their house as a gift that, heaven forbid, they gave me (my memory isn't great!). Unwanted or unneeded gifts, I put aside for long enough, then give to Goodwill or some such.

I like regifted items so if you don't want it well.......

I have done it, only if it is new, but I like used stuff too ;) as you see I am hard to please :huh::santa:

Back
Top Bottom