Do you recycle gifts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
amongst ya-selves.

oy, hacht, ok, discuss.

(sorry, i sometimes channel an old jewish woman...)

I just read an article in the paper about this. Apparently its "in" to regift. They even have Bridal Showers that are regifting parties.

I have regifted secret santa gifts that I can't use that I know someone else will love. I'll likely do that again.

Only if it's part of a white elephant game..

or if it's bringing wine to a party...Paul and I don't drink wine ( we just don't like much of it) but people keep on giving it to us so it's either regive it or keep it up above the fridge forever....

I have done it, I really see nothing wrong with it. If you get something you don't use but you know someone that could use it, go for it!

My sister in law did it once. Gave it to my sister for Christmas but forgot to remove the card inside which was addressed to the bride.

I only do it if it looks like it came directly from the store! My mother is known for always giving me little cutesie stuff or lotions and body sprays up the ying yang, so I often regift those when I am making a baket of goodies and I know the person will like it or if I am giving a small gift to a young relative.
But over all I enjoy shopping for others so I prefer to get an item that suits their individual personality...

I have done it many times and have no problem doing it. I got Christmas tree ornaments with sayings like Jesus will save you printed on them from someone who knows I am Jewish. I graciously said thak you and how pretty they are and the next day the were wrapped for someone else.

I have done it. I see nothing wrong with it. Someone gives me a gift and it becomes my property to do with as I see fit.

If someone gave you cash for a gift, and you gave a cash gift to someone else, that would be re-gifting. Would it be a problem?

I did it once and felt really guilty about it. The main reason was I couldn't remember if anyone at that shower had been at mine when I received it!

Recently I gave a shower gift and the bride got two identical so I went to give her the gift receipt and she said she changed her mind, she wasn't going to return it, she was going to regift it to her brother because he was getting engaged soon. If I didn't know the bride well and didn't appreciate her quirkiness I would have been very offended. At least I knew what NOT to buy her brother!

I re-gift, but out in the open...Hey I got this, and I can't use it, don't like it, etc. etc. ---I thought you might like/want it....I don't think I have ever re-wrapped and re-gifted...Nothing wrong with it however...Like Andy said...It's your property! Do with it what you wish!

I was taught to never regift. It was ok to exchange a present if it were the wrong size and didn't fit. However, I still had to write a handwritten thank you note even if I bought something slightly different.

one year my granddaughter was given a huge chocolate bar. it was re gifted and someone else's name imprinted on the bar. now that is tacky, i think. the same people once re gifted a rural mail box to my son, that lives in the city. if you don't do those kinds of things, i guess it is ok. would certainly save some bucks. lol

I re-gift, but out in the open...Hey I got this, and I can't use it, don't like it, etc. etc. ---I thought you might like/want it....I don't think I have ever re-wrapped and re-gifted...Nothing wrong with it however...Like Andy said...It's your property! Do with it what you wish!

That is what I do if I get something I don't want or cannot use. I don't have a problem with regifting as long as the recycled gift is an item the receiver can honestly use.

I think we have re-gifted once or twice in the past. I think it is better to do it out in the open like UB does, and uh avoid being tacky about it (a chocolate bar with someone else's name imprinted on it?? LOL).

I don't tend to regift - instead I will probably donate unwanted objects to schoof raffles. This includes an aftershave set (I have a beard) and similar items given by people who do not think through the gift.

Back
Top Bottom