Do You Shop at Whole Foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
The nearest Whole Foods is 125 miles away from me and I go there about once or twice a month. I went to Whole Foods yesterday. I absolutely love that store but their prices are a bit outrageous (hence the name Whole "paycheck" Foods).

Yesterday I bought crab cakes made with the big lump crab meat. I had them tonight with a Caesar salad and they were wonderful, melted in my mouth. I love their meat, fish and produce sections. I also bought a 2 lb roll of homemade butter - its is heavenly slathered on bread.

They had alot of cute Valentines Day related items, heart shaped cheesecakes and bread, etc.

Its a good thing the store is 125 miles away or I'd be wide as a barn.

Do you shop there? What are your favorite items to buy there?

For me its their bread selection, the meat and fish counter and I love their produce. I always try to buy one new thing and try it every time I go there. Yesterday my new thing to try was their mini crab cakes and they did not dissappoint. I may have to make another trip this Saturday!

I shopped there a couple times, the first to get a vanilla bean because my local grocer didn't carry them (small town shop) and next to get some fancy cheese for a friend's party. Nice stuff, but definitely expensive.

I am wanting to check one out. I have a job offer with them for next year as a corporate chef in there r&d kitchen. All I know about them is what i have seen on the web, sounds cool. I like the emphasis on foods from around the world.

Sounds interesting. Maaatha always speaks of them. Not likely we'll be shopping there. The nearest one for us is about 150 miles away. Probably a "Good Thing" based on what others have said about prices.:rolleyes: We'll just continue to be creative and "make do."

Walking into a Whole Foods can bring tears to my eyes. The stores could be featured in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine. They are so beautiful and smell wonderful.

The cheeses, the fruits and veggies, seafood displays...I could go on all night. :pig:

Since I think I could live on cheese alone, that's my favorite purchase at WF.

Oh how I wish there was one close by. When I go up to MI to visit my brothers, my older brother takes me there and we check out the samples. I've been able to try out things I've never had before. By going there I learnt about different cheeses and olives that I like and dislike.
Its not somewhere I'd do my fully shopping at but I'd def. like one to go find specialty and unique items.

We had one very close in MD but the one north of Atlanta takes me over an hour to drive.

One bag at WF usually runs me around $80. At Trader Joe's, a bag averages about $25 but they don't have nearly the selection of WF.

Would if I could but we don't have one. There is a Trader's Joe's a hop and a skip from my house. And a Fresh Market is about to be opened. Plus a few miles in the other direction in a wonderful local market that only sells very fresh veggies and fruit and some speciality items. I get my meat at Costco/Sam's. I feel a little embarressed wheeling by basket around Kroger's. The only thing I get there is junk for my DH who eats crap and never gains weight (Ice Cream, cookies, pork rinds etc.), baking supplies, cereal and kitty litter.

There's one about 10-15 miles from my house. I like it, but as stated, they are a bit pricey. Good stuff none-the-less.

when I can I do...it is a drive for me. But the quality means the food lasts longer, thus I don't waste any, thus in the long run I save money buying better quality.

Sigh. WF is one of the things I miss most about home! They bought a small chain of stores here in the UK and are opening the first real big WF in London this year. But of course, I dont live in London!

What I love most about WF is not only the beauty but the selection is amazing. Fruit and veg, cheese, bread and I love their 365 brand products. I dont mind paying for good food, its what goes into my body!

Oh but now I'm sad thinking about it....:( cant wait to move home!! :)

I shop them when in Denver and always love it. But am selective about what it is I get--love their cheeses, for special occasions. We are getting not one, but two in our city and a TJ's. It has made our major supermarket chain upgrade their "gourmet" parts of their stores--like cheese and bread. Fresh Market is OK, but amazingly, I think their produce is atrociously kept. We've had them for years.
Central Market in Texas is even better than WF--really miss going there!!
The newer concept WF stores are HUGE compared to say, the Cherry Creek WF--old store. IN the new Denver WF on Arapahoe there is a chocolate fountain that is easily 6 feet tall--and in operation!!

I bought this tea there, it said "hepls breathing" or something along those lines. Since I have asthma and recently (a year after being told I have asthma) quit smoking, I decided, what the hey, lets try it. I bought the stuff and I'm still not sure if it really helps with breathing or not (I haven't had trouble with my asthma in about a month and a half or so), but it tastes good. It's like pepperminty tasting! It's really good!

We had one in Arlington, I shopped there for seafood. I didn't think they were as good as Central Market or United's Market Street stores, but they are definetly pricy in IMO.

later

There's one about 10 min. from me. I shopped there once for ingredients for one of Flay's recipies. It was pretty expensive. They do have alot to offer but the other supermarkets around me are now carrying "specialty items" So it makes sense for me to do all my shopping in one store. The one thing I noticed lately was how the regular supermarkets are carrying much more organic foods now. You have to be reeeeal careful, otherwise you'll spend $4.59 lb. compared to $.99 lb.

I do shop there, but if I lived 125 miles from it, I doubt I'd go very often! :ohmy:

The one where I shop is across the street from my favorite place, the Union Square Greenmarket. I used to get all the stuff I couldn't get at the greenmarket at Whole Foods, but now that Trader Joe's is just one block further, I do some of my shopping there, as well. They don't have the same things as WF, but when they do, their prices are usually better. I buy just about all my meat and fish from the vendors/farmers at the Greenmarket, tho.

I do have one big gripe with Whole Foods: that is they "rain" on their produce, which makes it rot much faster. For some reason, someone's convinced a n awful lot of people their produce needs to be washed for them.... Well, it sure gets you back into the store faster, when the lettuce all gets "goopy.!"

Last edited:
I thought they 'rained ' on it to make it heavier at the checkout counter, hence more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom