Do you smell that? Roll the windows down...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a shame. I always thought Cedar Rapids sounded a lovely place name.

DH lived and worked in Cedar Rapids for several years, and loved it there. It's a pretty town. We frequently stay there and fly out of their airport. I've never smelled anything...

Dryden, Ontario has my vote for stinkiest town. The paper mill, peeyouuu!

as a kid in kaneohe, there would be just waves of mosquitoes.
Every so often "the bug man" would come by our house spraying this sweet, lovely something-or-another from his truck.
All of us kids would rush to the jalousie windows, which were open almost consistently, and breath deeply.
Now we know what that was, ddt

screaming yikes.jpg

another one for me is on my way home in the morning.

as i drive up the west side highway, there's an elevated section of road at 125th street where a bbq joint (dinosaur bbq) exists below on a side street.
most mornings you get a wonderful smell of the smokers firing up. it's definitely hickory wood, but there's something else in the smoke which i think is apple wood.

makes me hungry for ribs at 8 am. :pig:

Sadly, the factory you pass now probably manufactures synthetic flavours.

i think i found the place off rt. 80. it's called naturex (you can see the building from the highway), and it appears to be natural flavourings and frangrances. Naturex - Naturex - Ultimate Botanical Benefits .

i know a lot of people think new jersey is nothing but highways between nyc and philadelphia, and petrochemical companies (not sure if it's the same stereotype in england), but that's just a small part of our state.

anyway, no aromas tonight. it's pouring out.

bucky, one trip to FL we were talking and completely missed I-95 or 295 or the NJ Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway. Whatever it's called close to NY. Anyway, we ended up going down the east side of Joisey. When we saw the signs for Tom's River :ohmy: we knew we had done wrong. That cross-state trip to get back to I-95 was a real eye-opener. Rolling countryside, pretty homes. Jersey? Who woulda thunk?

cg, if you were near my river ;), you were down in horse country. yes, new jersey has lots of stables due to monmouth racetrack.
there's some really wealthy areas down there that are just beautiful that would rival kentucky.

ok, so this morning on rt. 80 was the smell of brown butter. mmm.

and i just saw a show that featured dinosaur bbq, the place on 125th below the west side highway. the chef mentioned that he uses green hickory. i knew something was slightly different than the hickory that i use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom