"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #31
Master Chef

i take potassium fer my electrolytes & to keep my ticker at bay, multivitamin, & calcuim, those being prescribed cause i don't eat enough.
on my own, valerian fer my anxieties, melatonin fer my sleepy-bye & both to give my prescriptions a boost.
i notice if i don't take my potassium, cause my ticker flutters & flops.
others i don't notice if i've taken them, except valerian. with my prescription, it eases my anxiety.
oops, & my doc put me on zinc & another vitaman, i'm defiecient.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #32
Head Chef

Unless my doctor or blood work showed that I needed something, I wouldn't. Just curious how someone (not doctor ordered) decides what to take and why?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't call Rx medications suppliments...I take a good multiple vitamin daily, plus fish oil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l
Unless my doctor or blood work showed that I needed something, I wouldn't. Just curious how someone (not doctor ordered) decides what to take and why?
Miss Elaine, I choose to take a multiple vitamin every day just to make sure I'm getting everything I need vitamin/mineral wise....They are water soluble, so if my body needs something...then it uses it....if not... it eliminates it. No harm!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #34
Executive Chef

my bad UB
Old 09-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #35
Senior Cook

I take Centrum Silver daily to be sure that I'm getting enough vitamins and minerals.

I also take Lutein 20 mg softgels daily for my eyes. Once in a while I used to have my cornea start to tear away before I took Lutein. Jagged lightning tears would suddenly appear in one eye. Sometimes in both eyes. I'd close my eyes and gently press on my eyelids. About 15 minutes later it would clear up. I'm very near-sighted. Now with daily Lutein capsules it never happens. I'm a believer.

My doctor has me taking four softgels daily of fish oil softgels to help lower my triglycerides.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sutton View Post
My doctor has me taking four softgels daily of fish oil softgels to help lower my triglycerides.
My triglyceride levels are somewhat on the high side too.
But since I discovered this last year I stopped eating donuts every morning. I'll find out in 6 months if this has helped any.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
And you're entitled to it, as I am to mine I wish the government would take control of the supplement industry. Those supplement manufacturers aren't in it for their health, or yours - they're in it for a profit (not that there's anything wrong with that, until people get too greedy - witness the bank failures over the last couple of weeks). And if they can convince people they need x, y and z when they don't, or x will cure y when there's no evidence that it will, more money for them.

Also, when you take commercial supplements, there is *no way to know* what the dosage really is, because they're not regulated. The bottle might say it has x mg of calcium, but studies have shown that it's not always the case. Which is apparently why the FDA last year approved new regulations on that point: FDA OKs Dietary Supplement Regulations
You are soooo right. I sometimes wonder what makes people decide for themselves what they THINK they need. So much of what they take goes right into their urine because the body takes what it needs and gets rid of the rest of it. There is a ton of money going into the toilet, literally. Vitamin A in large doses is a dangerous thing because the body stores it. Overdoses can result is serious problems.

I have a friend whose son and daughter in law take huge doses of supplements - 13 daily to be exact - and give them to their four kids ages 3 and triplets 4. The kids are constantly sick with stomach aches, diarrhea, and vomiting. No one know why. Can't be the stuff they're taking can it??? The man at the health food store loves to see them come in . He sells them "today's new find every time they do. I want to be a health food store owner.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #38
Executive Chef

One tv guy who takes supplements and wouldn't be without them is Regis Philbin? I can't even tell you what tv station he was on. Never watched the show, read this info somewhere. Oh, another piece of info I read was that Jack LaLanne fitness guru almost 100 years old never eats meat anymore. Claims it rots in your gut and causes problems. Only fruits, vegetable, fish, I don't think dairy either. Strange what works for some and not for others. Your body truly is your own so you got to work with it.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #39
Cook

I take brewers yeast mixed with a bit of skim milk. It's all natural and full of B vitamins and minerals. I mainly do it because I'm still breastfeeding my 19 month old son, I want to make sure my milk is of a high quality so that he also gets the nutrients (breast milk is FULL of vitamins, and the better the mother's nutrient intake, the more vitamins the milk will have).

If I get a cold I take synthetic vitamin C for a few days to help shorten the duration of the cold. Other than that I have a very healthy diet and my blood tests have always shown me to be VERY healthy (BTW I'm 30 years old).
Old 09-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #40
Master Chef

I was a big believer in "if you eat right you don't need vitamins". Now look at me! I don't know what the rest of that poop is doing, I do know that glucosomine/condroitin IS doing something for my knees. The rest of it? Probably just, as I said, expensive urine. I'm a very healthy cook, grew up that way. Since the diabetes scare w/hubby, maybe even more so.