Do you take supplements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
My walking buddy and I were discussing taking supplements, vitamins, etc. and she disagrees in taking ANY pills whatsoever. And I respect her decision. Of course, she takes great care of herself, eats lots of antioxidant foods and drinks lots of tea. I, on the other hand, take a multi-vitamin, 2 fish oil capsules, 3 flaxseed oil capsules, and a 500 mg Vitamin C chewable everday. Occasionally, I will take an 80 mg aspirin. Am I the only one NUTS about supplements?!:rolleyes: My curiousity is, do you take supplements, which ones, for what purpose and are you feeling the benefits from them?

I don't take any supplements whatsoever, I don't think they do me any good if I took them.
I'm like your friend, I don't take any pills, unless I'm really sick and miserable, I'll on occasion take some over-the-counter remedies.
I used to take supplements during the vitamin craze of the early 80's. The Vitamin Bible was a very popular book back then and I've experimented with different vitamin formulas. I wasted a lot of money and I smelled like a walking pharmacy. :-p

I only take potassium and magnesium as I have electrolyte issues due to fluid pills. I probably SHOULD take more but I'm terrible about keeping up with it and I have an issue with the size of those pills!!!! :ohmy:...and the taste of them. They stink!!!

I take prescription potassium for my electrolyte issues, stress formula vitamin B+folic acid to help with my neuropathy, and MSM for arthritis pain.

husband buys me vitamins because he's scared I don't eat right and am always exhausted. imagine that? so it's primrose, fish oil, flax oil, magnesium, coral 1 a day for lady's, etc.

my supplements that I take every day are aspirin, motrin, tylenol etc for kidney pain and jaw aches after dentist dilemmas.:( have I mentioned how much I hate dentists yet?:ohmy: <---- Sorry Larry, oh.............no I'm not, you've not yet agreed to see me......... :(

I don't take supplements either, though it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. And I too don't like the smell of the natural ones. Not to mention I like the color of my urine right where it's at :ermm:
Whoa! What's this?! Oh yeah, I took those couple vitamins a few hours ago. :LOL:

I take a lot of supplements, but I have a medical issue that makes it difficult for me to absorb nutrients from food properly, so some are prescription and all are recommended by my doctors. Before this happened, though, my family doctor told me he thought everyone should take a multivitamin because most people simply don't eat enough fruits and vegetables.

Taking large amounts of specific supplements can be counterproductive, though. For example, in the '60s, Linus Pauling advocated taking huge doses of Vitamin C to prevent colds; scientific studies have shown that this does not work and Linus Pauling himself died of cancer.

Unless you have a diagnosed deficiency, it's better to get your nutrition by eating healthy foods than by taking supplements in isolation.

From Cornell University:

In an article in the journal Nature five years ago, Liu and his colleagues credited phytochemicals -- antioxidants -- in fresh apples with inhibiting human liver and colon cancer cell growth. Antioxidants help prevent cancer by mopping up cell-damaging free radicals and inhibiting the production of reactive substances that could damage normal cells.

"Studies increasingly provide evidence that it is the additive and synergistic effects of the phytochemicals present in fruits and vegetables that are responsible for their potent antioxidant and anticancer activities," Liu says.

"Our findings suggest that consumers may gain more significant health benefits by eating more fruits and vegetables and whole grain foods than in consuming expensive dietary supplements, which do not contain the same array of balanced, complex components," says Liu.

He notes that the thousands of phytochemicals in foods vary in molecular size, polarity and solubility, which could affect how they are absorbed and distributed in different cells, tissues and organs. "This balanced natural combination of phytochemicals present in fruits and vegetables cannot simply be mimicked by dietary supplements," he explains.

Furthermore, Liu notes that the health benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables extend beyond lowering the risk of developing cancers and cardiovascular diseases to include preventive effects for other chronic diseases, such as cataracts, age-related macular degeneration, central neurodegenerative disease and diabetes.

husband buys me vitamins because he's scared I don't eat right and am always exhausted. imagine that? so it's primrose, fish oil, flax oil, magnesium, coral 1 a day for lady's, etc.

my supplements that I take every day are aspirin, motrin, tylenol etc for kidney pain and jaw aches after dentist dilemmas.:( have I mentioned how much I hate dentists yet?:ohmy: <---- Sorry Larry, oh.............no I'm not, you've not yet agreed to see me......... :(

HI, LEFSE. If you're always exhausted, you may be anemic. I would suggest having your blood levels tested by your doctor to check. HTH.

I take the following suppliments at the direction of my Dr.

Multi-vitamin
Folic Acid
B-6
Fish oil
Niacin
Aspirin, 325mg

Let's not get into the Rx stuff...

My walking buddy and I were discussing taking supplements, vitamins, etc. and she disagrees in taking ANY pills whatsoever. And I respect her decision. Of course, she takes great care of herself, eats lots of antioxidant foods and drinks lots of tea. I, on the other hand, take a multi-vitamin, 2 fish oil capsules, 3 flaxseed oil capsules, and a 500 mg Vitamin C chewable everday. Occasionally, I will take an 80 mg aspirin. Am I the only one NUTS about supplements?!:rolleyes: My curiousity is, do you take supplements, which ones, for what purpose and are you feeling the benefits from them?

i take them and i think alot of people should. I highly doubt ANY one gets the daily amount of minerals vitamins fiber etc etc. if you were to eat all the time you would but thats like 3 apples, 2 peaches, 2 salads and some string beans JUST to get enough fiber for one day. Think of the havok it would due to your guts.

Granted people may eat all fruits and vegitable and what not BUT thats not enough to get you what your body needs. I asked my mom this very question.

I take a high vitamin B complex and i have noticed a difference. My reflexes are way more accurate and it made me better at playing Halo back in the day. Quicker reflexes means more kills. LOL that was back in 02. I still take them.

LEFSE - I have kidney "problems" and motrin and tylenol are VERY hard on kidneys. I am not allowed to take any anti-inflammatories at all except in VERY rare instances...and so far that instance hasn't presented itself. I take that back - when I had a baby I took Tylox but don't know how that compares. If you are taking too much motrin and tylenol that may be causing you kidney pain - just a thought. It's a real Catch-22, especially with the jaw pain.

I have never taken supplements, including vitamins in my life except as a child. My mother gave me cod liver oil, I think because someone told her it was healthy. My mom was a very healthy cook, although a peasant cook, and I still, to this day eat a very well balanced diet. I am 68 years old and a few months ago after a complete physical exam and blood work up, my doctor told me I was a "very healthy speciman." Never thought of myself as a speciman, but I guess that's a good thing. :LOL:
Other than 81 mg or aspirin daily and Femara as a breast cancer preventative, I take no so -called health supplements.
As an afterthought, my children and grandchildren don't take vitamins or supplements of any kind either and they are never sick. Both grandkids have received perfect attendance citations for several years running. They are 17 and 12.

I'm wondering if it's in the genes.

Got Garlic, I am. Dr. wants me to eat more red meat. Not a fan for the most part. My BP is always, except when I'm at the doctor, very low. They usually think I'm about to pass out.:ermm: I'm not, I feel fine.

KE, I know. My DIL tells me what the disadvantages are to tylenol and motrin and the organs they play havic with. My back is always sore which is why I take the pills. Is there such a thing as drinking too much? <--- I wonder if that's a problem for me. These crowns aren't properly installed either and my bite has never in my life hurt, but se la vie, dentists that did them don't care.:(

i take 2 fish oil capsules every day. i haven't been to a doc since i started to take them, so i don't know if it's had an effect on my cardio health.

so far, my skin does seem clearer, and i can swim a lot faster, but that's about it. :)

Eat your Fruits and Veggies and take your supplments

Yes...I take supplements: multi-vitamin B-12 Fish oil Flax-seed oil
Calicum vitamin E Aspirin daily.

Got Garlic, I am. Dr. wants me to eat more red meat. Not a fan for the most part. My BP is always, except when I'm at the doctor, very low. They usually think I'm about to pass out.:ermm: I'm not, I feel fine.

Hi, LEFSE. A while ago, we had a thread on how to add iron to one's diet. Do you like shellfish? They're loaded with it :)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/how-can-i-add-iron-to-my-diet-41709.html

This site has great info, too: WHFoods: iron

KE, I know. My DIL tells me what the disadvantages are to tylenol and motrin and the organs they play havic with. My back is always sore which is why I take the pills. Is there such a thing as drinking too much? <--- I wonder if that's a problem for me. These crowns aren't properly installed either and my bite has never in my life hurt, but se la vie, dentists that did them don't care.:(

Have you talked to your doctor about pain management? There may be alternatives that won't harm your vital organs :ermm: And drinking too much can cause liver and kidney problems; in fact, taking too much Tylenol + drinking alcohol can lead to liver failure: UMHS Press Release: Expert warns of overuse Liver and/or kidney problems can present as back pain.

And about the dentists, if they didn't do their job right, I would insist they fix it or report them to the board of medicine in your state.

GG thanks for the info.
I don't drink alcohol at all. I simply meant water, soda, juice, coffee, tea, ff milk etc. I love shellfish. Just ate tons of it in Kauai while on our vacation. I have not talked to my doctor about pain management. I should and also should tell her about my kidneys still hurting me. I am going to try to not involve so much liquid. I just love drinking............
not always thirsty, I know that means something else.
About the dentists, they said they did their job correctly. Although, THEY DIDNT!

GG thanks for the info.
I don't drink alcohol at all. I simply meant water, soda, juice, coffee, tea, ff milk etc.

Oops - sorry for the misunderstanding.

I love shellfish. Just ate tons of it in Kauai while on our vacation. I have not talked to my doctor about pain management. I should and also should tell her about my kidneys still hurting me. I am going to try to not involve so much liquid. I just love drinking............
not always thirsty, I know that means something else.
About the dentists, they said they did their job correctly. Although, THEY DIDNT!

Yeah, being thirsty a lot can be a symptom of diabetes.

Can you see another dentist and get their professional opinion about whether the first ones did a good job? Honestly, if their work left you in pain, I wouldn't just give up, although, of course, I don't know what you've already tried with them. I just feel really bad that you're in constant pain.

Andy, we must be related. I'm not taking niacin or aspirin, but the rest I am, plus condroiten. All of it recommended by my doc. Gee, I hope I'm doing something besides creating very expensive pee.

I wish I could say I don't drink; I do go through abstinence periods. The B-12 and Folic acid are to help offset the drinking.

Back
Top Bottom