Do you take supplements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG thanks for the help.
I know, I need to recontact the dental group that did this to me.
It's so annoying and yes, constant pain in my jaw.
They of course want to fit me for that adorable mouth piece you wear at night, as they say it's a grinding issue, problem is I DON'T GRIND my teeth.
So???????????
God forbid they admit they're at fault.
A very good friend of mine started drinking like a fish.
She soon found out it was blah blah blah, don't remember the proper name of it, some kind of diabetes. She is now and has been ever since finding that out, on needles a couple times a day. I don't have that. I just like liquid is all.:wacko:

i take them and i think alot of people should. I highly doubt ANY one gets the daily amount of minerals vitamins fiber etc etc. if you were to eat all the time you would but thats like 3 apples, 2 peaches, 2 salads and some string beans JUST to get enough fiber for one day. Think of the havok it would due to your guts.

Granted people may eat all fruits and vegitable and what not BUT thats not enough to get you what your body needs. I asked my mom this very question.

I take a high vitamin B complex and i have noticed a difference. My reflexes are way more accurate and it made me better at playing Halo back in the day. Quicker reflexes means more kills. LOL that was back in 02. I still take them.

Fish oil will also enhance mental abilities and concentration.

I used to take vitamins. I really should start again. When my dad was alive, he was a great believer in vitamins. Whatever ailed ya, he came up with a combo of vitamins to do the "trick". There was a time when I was very ill. My dad had me filling seven empty presciption viles (from the pharmacy) - one vile for each day of the week - with about 7 different vitamins in each vile - in mega doses. A few I remember - Niacinamide (made my skin/body burn for several minutes), B-complex, zinc, potassium & on and on and on. He also wanted to make me a concoction with lecitin etc. He and my stepmother swore by vitamins. She claimed her eye doctor told her she had the eyesight of a 25-year-old. :rolleyes: Know as much salad as I try to eat, still don't get enough of those green leafy veggies, & probably could use some calcium. As much as I balked (in my head), I must admit, I had an over all sense of well being & more energy.

I take them because I got a lecture from the doc for forgetting to take pre-natals after the baby was born. So now I take them faithfully for the sake of Abbie, who is nursing.

LT72884 I believe you when you say vitamin B makes difference. I always t ake supplements as to eating fresh vegetables everyday cannot supply you with the proper amount of vitamin necessary for your body. I also read that frozen vegetables are better than fresh for this simple fact the time involved to get them to the store is important. However, I do notice when I eat organic produce I don't suffer any problems as I do when buying regular produce. I know the money factor is important but so is the way my body reacts.

I have also heard that the government wants to try and control the supplements we take like they do prescribed medicine. Won't that be great? Not. Our choices are cert ainly getting limited everyday. Only my opinion

I saw a 20/20 episode a few months ago about a girl who took a lot of supplements. A doctor on the show talked about how most of them weren't necessary, but he said that everyone (repeat, everyone) should be taking Vitamin D. He said you don't get enough just from diet alone. I talked to our doctor about it, and she said that was good advice.

I take Vitamin D, B-Complex (recommended by doctor), niacin (to prevent migraines, and it helps with cholesterol), iron (recommended by doctor because I am anemic), chromium picolonate (because of a study I read about how it helps with blood sugar levels--approved by doctor), and low dose aspirin. I also take Metformin for diabetes and Lisinopril/"something" for high blood pressure.

My urologist said to take Tylenol for my kidney stone pain, and when they are really bad, I take Hydrocodone.

:)Barbara
P.S. About Vitamin D, I read that many kids today are getting rickets because they are spending so much time inside (parents at work, playing video games and watching TV all the time, etc.). They are not getting out in the sun and are not getting enough natural Vitamin D.

Last edited:
I have also heard that the government wants to try and control the supplements we take like they do prescribed medicine. Won't that be great? Not. Our choices are cert ainly getting limited everyday. Only my opinion

And you're entitled to it, as I am to mine :) I wish the government would take control of the supplement industry. Those supplement manufacturers aren't in it for their health, or yours - they're in it for a profit (not that there's anything wrong with that, until people get too greedy - witness the bank failures over the last couple of weeks). And if they can convince people they need x, y and z when they don't, or x will cure y when there's no evidence that it will, more money for them.

Also, when you take commercial supplements, there is *no way to know* what the dosage really is, because they're not regulated. The bottle might say it has x mg of calcium, but studies have shown that it's not always the case. Which is apparently why the FDA last year approved new regulations on that point: FDA OKs Dietary Supplement Regulations

Nope.. don't take any, probably would be good for me though.

I take no supplements... probably should... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
i take potassium fer my electrolytes & to keep my ticker at bay, multivitamin, & calcuim, those being prescribed cause i don't eat enough.
on my own, valerian fer my anxieties, melatonin fer my sleepy-bye & both to give my prescriptions a boost.
i notice if i don't take my potassium, cause my ticker flutters & flops.
others i don't notice if i've taken them, except valerian. with my prescription, it eases my anxiety.
oops, & my doc put me on zinc & another vitaman, i'm defiecient.

Unless my doctor or blood work showed that I needed something, I wouldn't. Just curious how someone (not doctor ordered) decides what to take and why?

I don't call Rx medications suppliments...I take a good multiple vitamin daily, plus fish oil....

elaine l said:
Unless my doctor or blood work showed that I needed something, I wouldn't. Just curious how someone (not doctor ordered) decides what to take and why?

Miss Elaine, I choose to take a multiple vitamin every day just to make sure I'm getting everything I need vitamin/mineral wise....They are water soluble, so if my body needs something...then it uses it....if not... it eliminates it. No harm!

I take Centrum Silver daily to be sure that I'm getting enough vitamins and minerals.

I also take Lutein 20 mg softgels daily for my eyes. Once in a while I used to have my cornea start to tear away before I took Lutein. Jagged lightning tears would suddenly appear in one eye. Sometimes in both eyes. I'd close my eyes and gently press on my eyelids. About 15 minutes later it would clear up. I'm very near-sighted. Now with daily Lutein capsules it never happens. I'm a believer.

My doctor has me taking four softgels daily of fish oil softgels to help lower my triglycerides.

:chef:

And you're entitled to it, as I am to mine :) I wish the government would take control of the supplement industry. Those supplement manufacturers aren't in it for their health, or yours - they're in it for a profit (not that there's anything wrong with that, until people get too greedy - witness the bank failures over the last couple of weeks). And if they can convince people they need x, y and z when they don't, or x will cure y when there's no evidence that it will, more money for them.

Also, when you take commercial supplements, there is *no way to know* what the dosage really is, because they're not regulated. The bottle might say it has x mg of calcium, but studies have shown that it's not always the case. Which is apparently why the FDA last year approved new regulations on that point: FDA OKs Dietary Supplement Regulations

You are soooo right. I sometimes wonder what makes people decide for themselves what they THINK they need. So much of what they take goes right into their urine because the body takes what it needs and gets rid of the rest of it. There is a ton of money going into the toilet, literally. Vitamin A in large doses is a dangerous thing because the body stores it. Overdoses can result is serious problems.

I have a friend whose son and daughter in law take huge doses of supplements - 13 daily to be exact - and give them to their four kids ages 3 and triplets 4. The kids are constantly sick with stomach aches, diarrhea, and vomiting. No one know why. Can't be the stuff they're taking can it??? :rolleyes: The man at the health food store loves to see them come in . He sells them "today's new find every time they do. I want to be a health food store owner. ;)

One tv guy who takes supplements and wouldn't be without them is Regis Philbin? I can't even tell you what tv station he was on. Never watched the show, read this info somewhere. Oh, another piece of info I read was that Jack LaLanne fitness guru almost 100 years old never eats meat anymore. Claims it rots in your gut and causes problems. Only fruits, vegetable, fish, I don't think dairy either. Strange what works for some and not for others. Your body truly is your own so you got to work with it.

I take brewers yeast mixed with a bit of skim milk. It's all natural and full of B vitamins and minerals. I mainly do it because I'm still breastfeeding my 19 month old son, I want to make sure my milk is of a high quality so that he also gets the nutrients (breast milk is FULL of vitamins, and the better the mother's nutrient intake, the more vitamins the milk will have).

If I get a cold I take synthetic vitamin C for a few days to help shorten the duration of the cold. Other than that I have a very healthy diet and my blood tests have always shown me to be VERY healthy (BTW I'm 30 years old).

I was a big believer in "if you eat right you don't need vitamins". Now look at me! I don't know what the rest of that poop is doing, I do know that glucosomine/condroitin IS doing something for my knees. The rest of it? Probably just, as I said, expensive urine. I'm a very healthy cook, grew up that way. Since the diabetes scare w/hubby, maybe even more so.

Back
Top Bottom