"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Do you take supplements?

My walking buddy and I were discussing taking supplements, vitamins, etc. and she disagrees in taking ANY pills whatsoever. And I respect her decision. Of course, she takes great care of herself, eats lots of antioxidant foods and drinks lots of tea. I, on the other hand, take a multi-vitamin, 2 fish oil capsules, 3 flaxseed oil capsules, and a 500 mg Vitamin C chewable everday. Occasionally, I will take an 80 mg aspirin. Am I the only one NUTS about supplements?! My curiousity is, do you take supplements, which ones, for what purpose and are you feeling the benefits from them?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Master Chef

I don't take any supplements whatsoever, I don't think they do me any good if I took them.
I'm like your friend, I don't take any pills, unless I'm really sick and miserable, I'll on occasion take some over-the-counter remedies.
I used to take supplements during the vitamin craze of the early 80's. The Vitamin Bible was a very popular book back then and I've experimented with different vitamin formulas. I wasted a lot of money and I smelled like a walking pharmacy.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I only take potassium and magnesium as I have electrolyte issues due to fluid pills. I probably SHOULD take more but I'm terrible about keeping up with it and I have an issue with the size of those pills!!!! ...and the taste of them. They stink!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Probably should, but don't. The five I take every morning are enough for me !!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Master Chef

I take prescription potassium for my electrolyte issues, stress formula vitamin B+folic acid to help with my neuropathy, and MSM for arthritis pain.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Executive Chef

husband buys me vitamins because he's scared I don't eat right and am always exhausted. imagine that? so it's primrose, fish oil, flax oil, magnesium, coral 1 a day for lady's, etc.

my supplements that I take every day are aspirin, motrin, tylenol etc for kidney pain and jaw aches after dentist dilemmas. have I mentioned how much I hate dentists yet? <---- Sorry Larry, oh.............no I'm not, you've not yet agreed to see me......... :(
Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't take supplements either, though it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. And I too don't like the smell of the natural ones. Not to mention I like the color of my urine right where it's at
Whoa! What's this?! Oh yeah, I took those couple vitamins a few hours ago.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I take a lot of supplements, but I have a medical issue that makes it difficult for me to absorb nutrients from food properly, so some are prescription and all are recommended by my doctors. Before this happened, though, my family doctor told me he thought everyone should take a multivitamin because most people simply don't eat enough fruits and vegetables.

Taking large amounts of specific supplements can be counterproductive, though. For example, in the '60s, Linus Pauling advocated taking huge doses of Vitamin C to prevent colds; scientific studies have shown that this does not work and Linus Pauling himself died of cancer.

Unless you have a diagnosed deficiency, it's better to get your nutrition by eating healthy foods than by taking supplements in isolation.

From Cornell University:

Quote:
In an article in the journal Nature five years ago, Liu and his colleagues credited phytochemicals -- antioxidants -- in fresh apples with inhibiting human liver and colon cancer cell growth. Antioxidants help prevent cancer by mopping up cell-damaging free radicals and inhibiting the production of reactive substances that could damage normal cells.

"Studies increasingly provide evidence that it is the additive and synergistic effects of the phytochemicals present in fruits and vegetables that are responsible for their potent antioxidant and anticancer activities," Liu says.

"Our findings suggest that consumers may gain more significant health benefits by eating more fruits and vegetables and whole grain foods than in consuming expensive dietary supplements, which do not contain the same array of balanced, complex components," says Liu.

He notes that the thousands of phytochemicals in foods vary in molecular size, polarity and solubility, which could affect how they are absorbed and distributed in different cells, tissues and organs. "This balanced natural combination of phytochemicals present in fruits and vegetables cannot simply be mimicked by dietary supplements," he explains.

Furthermore, Liu notes that the health benefits of consuming fruits and vegetables extend beyond lowering the risk of developing cancers and cardiovascular diseases to include preventive effects for other chronic diseases, such as cataracts, age-related macular degeneration, central neurodegenerative disease and diabetes.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
husband buys me vitamins because he's scared I don't eat right and am always exhausted. imagine that? so it's primrose, fish oil, flax oil, magnesium, coral 1 a day for lady's, etc.

my supplements that I take every day are aspirin, motrin, tylenol etc for kidney pain and jaw aches after dentist dilemmas. have I mentioned how much I hate dentists yet? <---- Sorry Larry, oh.............no I'm not, you've not yet agreed to see me......... :(
HI, LEFSE. If you're always exhausted, you may be anemic. I would suggest having your blood levels tested by your doctor to check. HTH.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I take the following suppliments at the direction of my Dr.

Multi-vitamin
Folic Acid
B-6
Fish oil
Niacin
Aspirin, 325mg

Let's not get into the Rx stuff...