"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

I've never had a professional massage.

But I might...depending on good it was.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I always tip for a massage.
My wife and I used to have our favorite massuse come over to the house... she would her, then me. In that case there was no tip because we were trading out. Our art for her massage.
But more often than that nifty set up, I would go to the massuse's place of business. I normally tipped $5 on a $50 massage.
When at a spa, I usually left a $5 also... just data point

Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

I believe that, if the massage is for genuine medical reasons (physical therapy, with prescription or referral), one needn't tip.

However, if you're going for other reasons (just because it feels good or to loosen tight muscles after a workout or something), the tip should be similar to that which is offered to one's hair stylist.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Z what would you say in my situation? It was for medical reasons, but I did not have a prescription. A doctor did mention to me that it might help, but nothing in writing and insurance surely won't cover it.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #15
Head Chef

Based on what you said earlier... the situation where she was 'independent', it seems that a tip would be in order. It also seems that your doctor could have written a referral for physical therapy so your insurance would have (most likely) covered it.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

My insurance will only cover it if done by an MD. I can't find anyone in the area who does that.

Now it is just my assumption that she is independant. I do not know that for sure, but that was the feeling I got.

I kind of felt that since she was possibly independant then a tip would not be needed since the full price of the massage goes directly to her and she is the one who sets the price. Kind of like when you get your hair cut you tip the hairdresser unless they are also the owner, or at least that is what I have been told.

Tipping is always so complicated and there does not seem to be a right or wrong answer, just what it right or wrong to each invididual and each situation. Thanks for your input everyone!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #17
Master Chef

Never had a massage professionally but I probably would of tipped given your situation. If you happen to get a written referral for any further visits I'd say no tip needed.

But then again I didn't realize the whole thing about not having to tip an owner of a salon till after the fact. I don't know how to go about stopping the tip. I've been going to this guy for at least 5 years and always tip 5.00 for the haircut and 10.00 for the cut/highlight.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I am just curious why the distinction between a referral and no referral. I am not saying you are right or wrong, just trying to understand the thought process.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

gb, if you tipped me 2 bucks, i would have given you my best advice too. ya know, lift with your back, not your legs, with quick, jerky twisting motions...

actually, i agree with alix about tipping getting out of hand. a good business should have a sign or some kind of handout/document describing their policy on tipping, and the appropriate amounts. geebs, i would call the place (anonymously, or speak falsetto and say your name is alix from edmonton ) and ask wht their policy is on tipping.

some jobs are paid low salaries expecting tips to augment them, so you should to tip those people accordingly. but other companies pay an appropriate salary for the work rendered, so tipping is intended for when the worker goes "above and beyond".
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
gb, if you tipped me 2 bucks, i would have given you my best advice too. ya know, lift with your back, not your legs, with quick, jerky twisting motions...

That is actually what I am a little nervous about. I am wondering if/when I go back to her if she will push extra hard on trouble spots or something like that. You know, the massage equivelant of a waiter spitting in your soup