Do You Tip A For A Massage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can always count on you two to start my day with a giggle, chuckle or belly laugh. My computer monitor thanks you for its daily coffee shower I am sure.

GB, I think in the case you describe it would be OK not to tip. If she is independent, then all the money you pay for your massage goes to her. If she is an employee, then I think the tip might be in order.

I have also noticed that sometimes places like salons set their prices so that the "change" that would be offered is roughly equivalent to a tip, so you can just leave the change. For example, a haircut that costs $16 so you can leave the change from a $20.

GB, I think in the case you describe it would be OK not to tip. If she is independent, then all the money you pay for your massage goes to her. If she is an employee, then I think the tip might be in order.

I agree with Alix.
$50.00 per hour is darn good pay. Here if you are an employee it is a 50/50 split.

Thanks everyone. OK so now here is the next question for those of you who think tipping was not needed in this case.

Do you think my measly $2 tip was insulting?

GB said:
Tipping is always such a cloudy issuse. When it comes to restaurants I feel I am a very good tipper. I almost never leave less than 20% and often times leave more than that. What about tipping for a massage though? Are you supposed to tip and if so what percent? I know there is no right answer here so Tell me what you do.

Unclear. Are you talking about a private masseuse, a spa, doctor's office? Hopefully not a private massage parlor in Hollywood :rolleyes: If it's a business establishment (not a doctor's office), I would have a conversation with the masseuse and ask what is customary - what do his/her client's usually pay for services rendered. Um, IMO, $2 tip - not good. If they own their own establishment, I figure, they still have costs, paying a staff, rent etc...but it's a personal decision that is comfortable for you.:)

Last edited:
If it's not an owner, and she/he just works there, I always tip $5.00....no matter what the cost of the massage....do the same for a pedicure, at the same spa, where it's not an owner....$5.00

Mish from what I can tell it is a one woman show. She is in business for herself and rents a back room out of a hair salon.

And no it is not one of THOSE massage places :LOL:

GB said:
Mish from what I can tell it is a one woman show. She is in business for herself and rents a back room out of a hair salon.

And no it is not one of THOSE massage places :LOL:

Keep your wallet close by, in case you change your mind. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom