"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #101
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...I have good friends who have separate bedrooms, have for years. They are extremely close, they just can't sleep in the same room. She has sleep apnea, he is a very, very light sleeper....
I didn't know we've been friends for years. My SIL is appalled, appalled! that her brother and I sleep in separate bedrooms. We were married about 25 years when Himself had back issues - a ruptured disc. He slept wherever it was comfortable for him until he had surgery; I played musical beds since he slept best alone during that time. He healed, back to one bed. Then he broke collarbone #1 (after #2 I made him give up his bike keys) and I moved down the hall again. By the time he broke the other collarbone I realized that I wasn't getting leg cramps at night if I wasn't on our king mattress. As a plus, I was sleeping through the night since I couldn't hear him snore. All other aspects of our lives are now better since we each sleep better. Besides, once one of us falls asleep there isn't much else to do but go to sleep.

Oh, and getting back on topic, I wash our sheets in warm water and dry with little sachet bags filled with dried lavender flowers.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

The new washing machine is very good!

We now do a soak in our washing cycle and we also rinse 4 times.....

Although, we are still having trouble with the towels, they are still coming out, drying a bit stiff and roughed up...when we had our top loader, the towels would come out so soft and fluffy

Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #103
Assistant Cook

Wool wash helps with towels. So does setting the spin speed a bit lower, and drying longwise on the line.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #104
Senior Cook

My mom and I wash everything in cool water except for sheets. Our sheets get washed in warm water. We have one of the new machines that use less water and you have to use the special HD detergent. It works really good. We dry everything in the dryer. For undies, socks, and my moms uniforms they are dried on the perma-press cycle for no more than 30 minutes to keep her uniform tops from wrinkling. Lighter-weight wearing clothes are dried for about 35 minutes on the perma press cycle. Jeans and sweatpants are dried for 45 minutes. Towels get dried on a auto dry cycle, no timer used. Sheets are done on the same as lighter-weight wearing clothes.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We did try the e-Cigs...makes Shrek cough horribly, I didn't care for them, either.

I quit with Chantix, no problem. Shrek on the other hand turns into a complete...ummm...he gets really mean with the Chantix. So now he is using Zyban and is cutting way back on his cigarettes. I don't go buy them for him and I ask that he only smokes in his office when I am home.

Thanks for the ideas...but just like all smokers, we've tried everything. Shrek is a work in progress.
Chantix is not for everyone. I started to have some strange dreams. I thought they were so funny. Like taking my baby down to Aus. and giving it to a kangeroo to baby sit. The roo could carry the baby in her pouch. And it could nurse in there. There were days when I would only smoke four or five cigs a day. I could have easily quit on any one of those days. But the truth was I didn't really want to. Now I do, but because of the studies finding heart problems, the doctor won't put me back on.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #106
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Funny, my cardiologist is the one who has put me on Chantix. She said she'd write the prescription for the rest of my life if that's what it took for me to stop smoking. I will always be a smoker, I just have lots of time in between my last one and the next.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Funny, my cardiologist is the one who has put me on Chantix. She said she'd write the prescription for the rest of my life if that's what it took for me to stop smoking. I will always be a smoker, I just have lots of time in between my last one and the next.
My PCP said that there were reports coming out of England showing that it was causing some heart problems. I can't help wonder if he is reluctant to put me back on because of the cost. I take my meds for granted because I don't have to pay for any of them. Not even a copay.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #108
Master Chef

Quote:
I will always be a smoker, I just have lots of time in between my last one and the next.
I'm with you!

I have not smoked in five or six years and I miss it!

I feel the same about some of the foods I have given up to lose weight!

I guess I will always have a fat smoker trapped inside of me!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #109
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm with you!

I have not smoked in five or six years and I miss it!

I feel the same about some of the foods I have given up to lose weight!

I guess I will always have a fat smoker trapped inside of me!

I think I am always sick now...but it's just the anxiety of no cigarettes...

Having to deal with so much, I get so tired of hearing "no, you can't have that" makes it even harder to stick to no smoking and my diet.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #110
Sous Chef

I always wash in cold water, may be in our country normal tap water is always warm.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water