"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #81
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The only laundry I'll let mine help with is moving stuff from the washer to the dryer. I'll have the dryer setting and time ready to go - all he has to do is put the stuff in, close the door, and "push the button, max!" Anything else and I'd be wearing all pink, too-tight clothes!
I am so embarassed to say what I did the first time I did laundry when I moved out on my own. I put my white undies in the wash with jeans. I have no idea what I was thinking, other than saving a little money doing only 1 load. I had grey underwear until I could afford to replace them. LOL You learn from your mistakes!

Carol

Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #82
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I wish there was a clothes line. The apartment complex doesn't have one. Not enough room inside to have a rack and Shrek smokes so that is out. I'm off to do laundry, first time with my homemade laundry soap. I'm going to wash like I normally do, water temp etc. and decide from today if I will be using all cold water. I only want to change one thing at a time.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I wish there was a clothes line. The apartment complex doesn't have one. Not enough room inside to have a rack and Shrek smokes so that is out. I'm off to do laundry, first time with my homemade laundry soap. I'm going to wash like I normally do, water temp etc. and decide from today if I will be using all cold water. I only want to change one thing at a time.
When the weather gets warmer, maybe you can encourage Shrek to smoke outside...use the argument you can save $ on drying clothes if he would smoke outside...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #84
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
CG, do you find you have trouble with hard, stiff towels with the front loader?
Oh my, when they come out of the washer they're like Berber throw rugs! However, a lot more water is spun out of them than was with my agitator washer. Once they go through the dryer (I dry linens and underclothes) they are fluffy. Not really soft though because, like Claire, I don't want highly softened towels. It seems to take longer to dry off after a shower when the towels are softener laden. Besides, if they were rough when I used them I could pretend I'm getting an exfoliation at an upscale spa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Unfortunately my dryer doesn't have an air dry setting. That would be really handy. I have some clothes that aren't supposed to go in the dryer and I have to get the cat hair off by other means.
Maybe if you use the coolest setting, like a delicate, and threw those things in for just a couple minutes you'd get a Fluff-and-Defur" result. We have a cute shedder kitty. When I have a lot of hair to get off fabric chair seats in a hurry I use a rubber glove - one that is older and used not for dishes but for housecleaning scrubbing.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Maybe if you use the coolest setting, like a delicate, and threw those things in for just a couple minutes you'd get a Fluff-and-Defur" result. We have a cute shedder kitty. When I have a lot of hair to get off fabric chair seats in a hurry I use a rubber glove - one that is older and used not for dishes but for housecleaning scrubbing.
A few minutes isn't enough - I've tried.

I have one of those lint remover brushes with the weird, sort of velvet fabric. It removes lint, hair, fluff when stroked in one direction and deposits it when stroked the other way. Works pretty well, but takes my time.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #86
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have one of those lint remover brushes with the weird, sort of velvet fabric. It removes lint, hair, fluff when stroked in one direction and deposits it when stroked the other way. Works pretty well, but takes my time.
We have one of those too - one on each floor, that is! I always forget to check which way the nap is pointing and end up furring the thing I'm trying to clean before I get it right. Can't make that mistake with rubber gloves.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We have one of those too - one on each floor, that is! I always forget to check which way the nap is pointing and end up furring the thing I'm trying to clean before I get it right. Can't make that mistake with rubber gloves.
Do the gloves work as well as the defurring thingee?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #88
Master Chef

Depends on the fabric taxlady, but I can usually get it just as clean most of the time. Word of advice: don't try this on the cat, s/he probably won't like it.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Depends on the fabric taxlady, but I can usually get it just as clean most of the time. Word of advice: don't try this on the cat, s/he probably won't like it.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I never use fabric softener with my towels, only white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Softener apparently builds up on towels and makes them less absorbent. I use half a dryer sheet for the clothes.
Oddly enough I have found that using the dryer sheets in the rinse cycle, reduces the amount of softener that stays on the items, yet they do come out soft. And I don't overuse the liquid softener like I was before. I don't use a dryer. Ninety-nine percent of my clothing and home objects are 100% cotton. So I wash them in warm water. I have a skin condition that doesn't do well with manufactured marterial. Nylon, Dacron, etc.

Tags
water