Do You Wash Your Clothes With Hot/Warm Or Cold Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only laundry I'll let mine help with is moving stuff from the washer to the dryer. I'll have the dryer setting and time ready to go - all he has to do is put the stuff in, close the door, and "push the button, max!" Anything else and I'd be wearing all pink, too-tight clothes!:LOL:

I am so embarassed to say what I did the first time I did laundry when I moved out on my own. I put my white undies in the wash with jeans. I have no idea what I was thinking, other than saving a little money doing only 1 load. I had grey underwear until I could afford to replace them. LOL You learn from your mistakes!

Carol

I wish there was a clothes line. The apartment complex doesn't have one. Not enough room inside to have a rack and Shrek smokes so that is out. I'm off to do laundry, first time with my homemade laundry soap. I'm going to wash like I normally do, water temp etc. and decide from today if I will be using all cold water. I only want to change one thing at a time.

I wish there was a clothes line. The apartment complex doesn't have one. Not enough room inside to have a rack and Shrek smokes so that is out. I'm off to do laundry, first time with my homemade laundry soap. I'm going to wash like I normally do, water temp etc. and decide from today if I will be using all cold water. I only want to change one thing at a time.
When the weather gets warmer, maybe you can encourage Shrek to smoke outside...use the argument you can save $ on drying clothes if he would smoke outside...

CG, do you find you have trouble with hard, stiff towels with the front loader?
Oh my, when they come out of the washer they're like Berber throw rugs!:ROFLMAO: However, a lot more water is spun out of them than was with my agitator washer. Once they go through the dryer (I dry linens and underclothes) they are fluffy. Not really soft though because, like Claire, I don't want highly softened towels. It seems to take longer to dry off after a shower when the towels are softener laden. Besides, if they were rough when I used them I could pretend I'm getting an exfoliation at an upscale spa.;)

Unfortunately my dryer doesn't have an air dry setting. That would be really handy. I have some clothes that aren't supposed to go in the dryer and I have to get the cat hair off by other means. :(
Maybe if you use the coolest setting, like a delicate, and threw those things in for just a couple minutes you'd get a Fluff-and-Defur" result. We have a cute shedder kitty. When I have a lot of hair to get off fabric chair seats in a hurry I use a rubber glove - one that is older and used not for dishes but for housecleaning scrubbing.

Maybe if you use the coolest setting, like a delicate, and threw those things in for just a couple minutes you'd get a Fluff-and-Defur" result. We have a cute shedder kitty. When I have a lot of hair to get off fabric chair seats in a hurry I use a rubber glove - one that is older and used not for dishes but for housecleaning scrubbing.
A few minutes isn't enough - I've tried. :ermm:

I have one of those lint remover brushes with the weird, sort of velvet fabric. It removes lint, hair, fluff when stroked in one direction and deposits it when stroked the other way. Works pretty well, but takes my time.

I have one of those lint remover brushes with the weird, sort of velvet fabric. It removes lint, hair, fluff when stroked in one direction and deposits it when stroked the other way. Works pretty well, but takes my time.
We have one of those too - one on each floor, that is! I always forget to check which way the nap is pointing and end up furring the thing I'm trying to clean before I get it right. Can't make that mistake with rubber gloves.:LOL:

We have one of those too - one on each floor, that is! I always forget to check which way the nap is pointing and end up furring the thing I'm trying to clean before I get it right. Can't make that mistake with rubber gloves.:LOL:
Do the gloves work as well as the defurring thingee?

Depends on the fabric taxlady, but I can usually get it just as clean most of the time. Word of advice: don't try this on the cat, s/he probably won't like it.:ohmy:

I never use fabric softener with my towels, only white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Softener apparently builds up on towels and makes them less absorbent. I use half a dryer sheet for the clothes.

Oddly enough I have found that using the dryer sheets in the rinse cycle, reduces the amount of softener that stays on the items, yet they do come out soft. And I don't overuse the liquid softener like I was before. I don't use a dryer. Ninety-nine percent of my clothing and home objects are 100% cotton. So I wash them in warm water. I have a skin condition that doesn't do well with manufactured marterial. Nylon, Dacron, etc. :angel:

I wash everything except whites on the "tap cold" setting. Whites are washed in warm water.

I use homemade laundry detergent. It's about $.05/load and I've never ever had cleaner clothes or softer towels, and the funky smell my front loader use to have is GONE.

But I do still use liquid fabric softener for the scent of it.

When the weather gets warmer, maybe you can encourage Shrek to smoke outside...use the argument you can save $ on drying clothes if he would smoke outside...

We are working on getting him to quit altogether. It's worked for me so far, but it seems I get enough second hand that I may as well have not quit. We've been in discussion...:rolleyes:

I am so embarassed to say what I did the first time I did laundry when I moved out on my own. I put my white undies in the wash with jeans. I have no idea what I was thinking, other than saving a little money doing only 1 load. I had grey underwear until I could afford to replace them. LOL You learn from your mistakes!

Carol

My Mom left a pack of cinnamon gum in a white sweater pocket and it went into the dryer. LOL...the dryer still smells like cinnamon and the whole load of laundry was ruined.

We are working on getting him to quit altogether. It's worked for me so far, but it seems I get enough second hand that I may as well have not quit. We've been in discussion...:rolleyes:

PF .. here's a suggestion ... have him switch to Blu.

DH and I have been using Blu for a couple months. He was a heavy smoker .. me more of a when I think about it smoker.

Anyway ... not a single cigarette in the last couple months .. no annoying smells. He breathes better.

You can get different levels of nicotine from heavy down to zero.

He will be able to go through the motions of smoking without so many bad effects AND you won't have to suffer.

It's worth a try and it's a whole lot cheaper than real smokes. And who knows .. you may even get him down to zero nicotine.

That is a tough one!

Check out Chantix, it worked for me.

I carried an unopened pack of smokes in the car for the first year, just in case I freaked out!

The other thing is the need to find some other thing to fill the time spent smoking.

My apartment was spotless for the first six months, now not so much! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

PF .. here's a suggestion ... have him switch to Blu.

DH and I have been using Blu for a couple months. He was a heavy smoker .. me more of a when I think about it smoker.

Anyway ... not a single cigarette in the last couple months .. no annoying smells. He breathes better.

You can get different levels of nicotine from heavy down to zero.

He will be able to go through the motions of smoking without so many bad effects AND you won't have to suffer.

It's worth a try and it's a whole lot cheaper than real smokes. And who knows .. you may even get him down to zero nicotine.

We did try the e-Cigs...makes Shrek cough horribly, I didn't care for them, either.

That is a tough one!

Check out Chantix, it worked for me.

I carried an unopened pack of smokes in the car for the first year, just in case I freaked out!

The other thing is the need to find some other thing to fill the time spent smoking.

My apartment was spotless for the first six months, now not so much! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I quit with Chantix, no problem. Shrek on the other hand turns into a complete...ummm...he gets really mean with the Chantix. So now he is using Zyban and is cutting way back on his cigarettes. I don't go buy them for him and I ask that he only smokes in his office when I am home.

Thanks for the ideas...but just like all smokers, we've tried everything. Shrek is a work in progress.

PF, the only thing that worked for my Mom was when she had her heart attack. Tell Shrek THAT is not the way to do it.;)

Our son's kindergarten teacher was an ex-smoker who was a chocoholic. She said it was easier to give up the cigarettes than to cut back on chocolate. Maybe you could hook him on chocolate...

I try not to have anything white. And even if it was, it isn't.

And yes, I got rid of the pink undies years ago. You can only dust the end tables so many times until pffft, out they go.

I have several friends who have their own houses...and a couple of friends who have his-and-hers duplexes. One of my cousins has a his-and-hers duplex. Their son spends time on both sides and has a bedroom on each side. Unconventional, but it works for those of us who have tried it. I also have a couple of friends who divorced but now live together.

My partner and I have separate bedrooms and bathrooms. We're compatible in just about every way except sleeping. When we found this townhouse with 2 second floor masters, we were sold!

My sister has been divorced from her husband for 10 years. They vacation together and still share a lot of their life together, this works for them.

I think that when two people care about each other and find the best way to make their relationship work, that's awesome. Not everyone's relationship has the same dynamic and fits into the same mold. Unfortunately so many people are trying to keep up appearances and trying to make their relationship look a certain way to other people.

People that get to know us, are shocked that we have separate bedrooms, mostly because we are so close, we are very close, but we've taken the things that we are not compatible about, and minimized their effect on our relationship. We also each maintain a separate checking account, with a joint account, we share the bills, and save toward goals, but whatever is left is ours to do what we please. This may not work for everyone, but it does for us.

Oh and to stay on subject, we also do separate laundry. With 2 guys, our socks and underwear would be forever mixed up! We wash in cold!

Last edited:
Bakechef--you've hit the nail on the head. We have these "rules" about how a couple is supposed to live. We have always maintained separate finances (sometimes I really regret that decision). But many couples do split up because of incompatible spending/budgeting habits (actually, I think that is often cited as the #1 reason). I have good friends who have separate bedrooms, have for years. They are extremely close, they just can't sleep in the same room. She has sleep apnea, he is a very, very light sleeper.

And yes, we both wash our laundry in cold (but I sort mine), and we both use homemade laundry soap, but he does his in his washer, and I do mine in my washer (PF, we also have his-and-hers trailers for our vehicles <g>).

Back
Top Bottom