"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
You would think I don't own any utensils & just use my bare hands or something

You are correct, that is the symbol for Pi

I wish I knew how to avoid those habits and hazards! Sometimes I swear a tornado must've blown through while I was cooking.
The truth is that tomatoes, beets, blueberries, any berry, and any other food that stains got together and came up with your name. "Let's have some fun. Let's get V" I heard them whispering.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
You would think I don't own any utensils & just use my bare hands or something
yes, that is what it looks like

Old 12-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #53
Senior Cook

That's it, Addie!!!!

And all the flours, sugars, breadings & other tiny grained foods got together and decided to throw themselves off the counter onto my floor

Mystery solved
Old 12-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

I wear an apron everyday at work.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I almost miss the days I wore an apron at work everyday. There are days I do wish I was back in food service.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I almost miss the days I wore an apron at work everyday. There are days I do wish I was back in food service.
After 32 years in foodservice I am looking forward to not being in it, especially lately.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #57
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
After 32 years in foodservice I am looking forward to not being in it, especially lately.
It is an odd mix of Love/Hate. The most fun I had was working in the dorm cafeteria while going to nursing school. I went to nursing school to get OUT of foodservce
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It is an odd mix of Love/Hate. The most fun I had was working in the dorm cafeteria while going to nursing school. I went to nursing school to get OUT of foodservce
It truely is a love/hate relationship being in foodservice. I started in 1979-82 with chef's training & HRI mgmt. I did get out of it for 3 years when we moved to florida I went back to college & went into human services. But, when we moved back, same old story. The past 12 years my dh & I have a cafe & catering business, crazy busy with the holidays lately, sometimes I have to remind myself that is a good thing.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've discovered that I wear an apron more than I used to, which is just fine because, occasionally, there'll be an unanticipated splatter or spill that makes me glad I wear an apron.

Also, this week, I was fortunate to snag a wonderful Simplicity apron pattern that I'd been wanting to have. It's a repro of a late '40s, early '50s apron style and I nabbed it at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents. Pretty good deal considering the listed price on the envelope is $14.95!

I can't wait to make it. The version I plan on sewing is the one all the way on the right of this link. I think I might even have enough vintage fabric in my stash to make it. If not, I'll find something appropriate.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I've discovered that I wear an apron more than I used to, which is just fine because, occasionally, there'll be an unanticipated splatter or spill that makes me glad I wear an apron.

Also, this week, I was fortunate to snag a wonderful Simplicity apron pattern that I'd been wanting to have. It's a repro of a late '40s, early '50s apron style and I nabbed it at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents. Pretty good deal considering the listed price on the envelope is $14.95!

I can't wait to make it. The version I plan on sewing is the one all the way on the right of this link. I think I might even have enough vintage fabric in my stash to make it. If not, I'll find something appropriate.
Those are cute, Katie. I would love that, too. Was thinking about making a simple one from my 4-H days and add a bib. Use a pretty calico, just for the heck of it.

Tags
kitchen