Does anyone dress vintage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My name is jkath, and I am a vintage rhinestone addict....

sizz, if you ever are in So Cal, we must shop!

Jessica - I had aa old great piece with jet crystal beads, but the silk thread was falling apart. So, rather than re-string, I gave many of the beads a new life, so to speak, by making many new sets of earrings. (I used to make/sell a lot of my jewelry) I still have some beads left, but those are going to be in a pin I design, I think.

It's odd.... I've got lots of clothes that may be considered 'vintage' - but the items are all things that I bought from new (or were my Mum's from the 50s and 40s). I have never bought second-hand clothes for myself!

jkath said:
The sad part is that now "vintage" can even apply to that odd stuff we wore in the 80's!

The 80's!?!?!?!?!?!

Please tell me no. I dated girls in the 80's who had outfits with bigger shoulder pads than I have EVER worn playing hockey!!! :glare:

John

John, did you know that the whole shoulder pad/peplum look was the "retro look" from the 40's? True! Of course the big hair was another story....

jkath said:
John, did you know that the whole shoulder pad/peplum look was the "retro look" from the 40's? True! Of course the big hair was another story....

Shoulder pad yes, but the "Linebacker" look was definitely an 80's thing! :ROFLMAO:

John

The cool thing is, I seem to be wearing Vintage clothing all the time, and I wasn't even trying!

What concerns me is that the clothes were brand new when I bought them!:ohmy:

--J

I have several dresses that were tailored maid for me when we were in Korea (1963-1965) that I just can't part with. They no longer fit but the Brocade fabric is so beautiful. My favorite is Gold Brocade with Pattern on Pattern (or so I was told ) Gold with a bronze chrysanthemum flower woven in..fulley lined with a matching short jacket.

As far as jewelery goes..I have a framed Christmas tree made out of old jewelery..the top piece is from the "40's"

I also have the suit that we were (me) married in..1954)

Don't think I could get it past my big toe now..:LOL:

I knew you'd find this thread, Dove!
Do keep those treasures! What a lovely remembrance of an earlier time! As for the jeweled Christmas Tree, my Grandma and her sister in law each made one years ago. I always thought they were quite pretty, but when Grandma moved to a smaller place, mom thought it wasn't attractive and got rid of it!

I've recently inherited some (what I think of as) beautiful jewellery from my Gran and Aunts that none of my cousins wanted, deeming them too old fashioned. Being "overseas", I'm last in line, but I don't care about that. The pins and earrings are marcasite (sorry about the spelling) and jet, and there are two evening bags and a few really dainty monogrammed handkerchiefs (the hankies are such a personal item - I am honoured). I adore them. I've been wearing the pins on my winter coat, and have recieved so many compliments. I treasure these items - I think they are absolutely gorgeous, and I wish we could dress with the ceremony that our mom's and grannies and aunties enjoyed.

My Dad was an officer in a Highland Regiment of the British Army. This meant he and my Mum had to attend a lot of regimental events in full evening dress or sometimes my Mum would wear wonderful cocktail dresses. I remember her coming into my bedroom to say goodnight before they left - she smelt so nice and looked so pretty and my dad looked wonderful in either his kilt or dinner jacket. I WISH I'd kept some of those dresses. I have kept some evening bags and a couple of 'stoles', as they called wraps in those days! She wore wonderful hats, too. All gone now:(

I am so jealous. I'm very tall, very broad shouldered, and not slim (not obese either). BUT that pretty much makes vintage clothing a wash for me ... they simply didn't make women like me in those days. But I love the look, and do go shopping with friends who buy vintage clothing. I have to say, though, that bell-bottoms and tie-dye are best left in the past.

Oh, Ishbel, I, too, am a military brat. Daddy was "just" a sergeant, but Mom and he dressed to the nines for balls, dinings in, dinings out, cotillions, etc, on a regular basis. I think back very fondly of the days when I'd sit on their bed (as eldest child I was the babysitter), helping to pick out her jewelry and perfume, checking to see if her hose seams were straight and the back of her hair just so. I think we miss a lot by not having that for our children. You can go to the very classiest restaurant in my town wearing jeans. This is an improvement?

Back
Top Bottom