"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I never heard of Vonage, but we do use Skype regularly, actually for Cris, an essential tool for work. It is much more economical and convenient than a regular telephone, especially you tend to spend much of the day in front of the computer.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I have Vonage and love it. My husband is the tech guy in our house so I can only tell you what I know not how it works.
We have 4 cordless phones all plugged into the wall. 911 works fine (don't ask me how I know that, I just do). It rarely goes out and if it does it forwards straight to my cell. Very occasionally there is static in the line. But, I'm saving alot of money each month and if I knew anyone in London, I could talk for free

Old 01-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks RedBedHead. So when you say the phones are plugged into the wall, I am assuming you mean that they are in the normal phone jack, not some special Vonage thing right?

Have you had any problems with their customer service?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
Master Chef

GB, we considered switching to Vonage awhile ago but didn't for a couple reasons. First, the 911 issue made me nervous. I know they've straightened it out in a lot of places, but from what I've read there are still gaps. Also, since we have DSL and satellite TV, we'd have to end up paying for a cable hookup to be able to get internet. That charge would wipe out any savings we'd see from switching to Vonage.

DH's work is setting up a small DC office that will only be used when someone travels down there. They wanted ot have phone service that could be answered in Harrisburg so they're looking into setting up a Vonage account. The last I knew he was responsible for getting it all established so I'll ask him what he thinks so far.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I'm in the Skype camp. I have never had issues with it and like it quite a bit. I was considering Vonage, but like you GB, too many questions and not enough answers...

cell phone is my cheapest line.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Isn't it funny that we used to use our phone lines to connect to the internet.
Now we're using the internet to replace phone lines.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Thanks RedBedHead. So when you say the phones are plugged into the wall, I am assuming you mean that they are in the normal phone jack, not some special Vonage thing right?

Have you had any problems with their customer service?
GB, we have the 4 set of phones with one central base and 3 that plug straight into an electrical outlet. So, I'm assuming that the base is hooked into the Vonage somehow.
I've had no problems at all with customer service.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
Master Chef

Luckily I've never had to call 911 but things like this make me nervous
Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I've had Vonage for about 1 month at both my home office and my restaurant and so far the voice lines have been very satisfactory. I, like others, have attached a 4 phone wireless 5.8 mhz digital phone to the voice line at the home office and have also attached it to my IBM 4 line phone. The fax line is rather problematic making connections and often backs down to 2400 to 4800 baud to make a fax connection. About 25% of the transfers are unsuccessful and have to be repeated. I have my fax line connected directly to my PC server and use an internal USR modem.

The restaurant lines have both worked just fine. I have a simple 2 line phone in the Manager's office for voice and an HP multifunction printer/fax for facsimile. We continue to use a separate telco line for backup credit card/ATM transaction processing. Even Vonage does not suggest using the Vonage lines for credit card/ATM processing or modem to modem transfers.

The cost savings has been well worth the minor facsimile inconvenience. I am very pleased with the voice lines and love the ability to fetch my messages via email.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Don't know Vonage, but moved through Skype and on to Jajah. Nothing to download, no headphones or special equipment, uses regular telephones and land lines, and now for up to an hour a day ("fair use") I'm talking to my sister in the U.S. and to a number of European friends as well ... all for FREE!

It's free between Jajah-registered users within the U.S. and within Europe (and between the two as well) and ridiculously cheap as well. Even though Skype technically allowed you to talk from computer to regular phone, I never got that to work well for me, and even computer-to-computer calls on Skype had greatly varying quality. Jajah quality is amazing and truly, it couldn't be easier. Why mess with anything else?