"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Does anyone here use Vonage?

What do you think? It is as good as traditional phone companies. Is it better? Worse? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I keep seeing the commercials and it looks like I can cut my phone bill in half if I switch. The one thing that looks like it is keeping me from doing it is that I would need another piece of hardware that would hook into my cable modem and that is what the phones hook into. I have phones in many different rooms and on different floors so I do not know how that would work unless I wanted to do a lot of work and run wires through the walls which I really do not feel like doing. Do I have this right or am I missing something?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm not sure how it works, GB. The ideal situation is to put that box near the phone box and feed throughut the house via existing lines.

I cut back my basic phone service to the cheapest possible rate for my area and we use our cell phones for all outgoing calls. Since we have the cells anyway and the minutes are adequate, that's the cheapest route for us.

One caution. I live in a townhouse condo complex. Residents who sign up for cable phone (via Comcast) cause a problem because the cable company will not run wires inside the walls. They run the cables up the outside of the building! Then they have to have them removed when they get caught.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
GB, I use the same idea as vonage, Skype. I have a Skype-In phone number and I have Skype running on 3 PC's throughout my house, so I can answer whenever needed.

While I don't have a regular 'phone' it does ring, and the latency relies solely on how fast your internet connection is. I really like it!

As for vonage, I have no direct experience. You may want to search the web for other people's thoughts.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Andy and stinesmates.

I do have a friend who has it and she really likes it, but she lives in a small apt in NYC so she only has one phone. Where I have a two story house with lines in most rooms my situation is a bit different than hers. I just called Vonage, but the woman I spoke with was less than trustworthy. I would ask her a question and she would tell me one thing. Then I would say that I saw something different on the website and she would say that what I saw was right. I never know which response was the right one.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
I think it works well for a main phone household, but for multiple phones it could/would be rather tough.

The only way around it I could see would be if they had wireless 'extra' phones, maybe you could ask them about it?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

What she told me (but I am not sure if I believe her yet) is that as long as it is one phone number then I just need to plug their adapter in between the internet connection and one phone jack. Then all the other phones in the house can use the existing jacks. I am going to call back and talk to someone else to make sure before I do anything.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Hmmmmmmm,

I can see how that would work with DSL, but certainly not Cable connection (from a technology perspective) Hopefully the next rep will be more credible.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I sure hope so. So far they are not filling me with confidence.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

The Globe (I think) did a story on Vonage recently and they have a lot of unhappy customers apparantly. Also, their customer service is said to be very bad. But that's just waht I read and have heard.

Make sure you get regular 911 emergency service. Not sure if you recall the woman last year in MA who died because her internet phone service did not have 911.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah I have read a lot about the 911 problems. Those have been taken care of (from what I have read). You just need to fill out a form when you sign up otherwise 911 won't work. It also depends on where you live, but I know that in my area I would be able to use the E911 system otherwise I would never even think about considering a switch.

That does not surprise me about their customers service Jenny. From just my one phone call, I was quite underwhelmed. Chances are i will be sticking with what I have now, but saving 50% is still what is keeping me from ruling it out completly.