Does anyone know what SEGS is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I got my blood test back from the doctor, Although most of the results are a high normal, the SEGS is the only thing that is high. The doctors were all on lunch, so, I couldn't find out what it was.

It's one of the 5 different types of white blood cells. I don't know the significance of its being high.

SEGS is short for segmented neutrophils ... just one of the types of white blood cells. You probably found it listed under the heading of "Differential Count" or "WBC Differential" - it's just the count of different types of white blood cells (WBC).

Depending on how high it was - it could be an indication of an infection - or it could just be normal for you. It could also just be a normal day to day varient. It could also be insignificant - especially if you have sinus or other allergic problems. On the other hand - it could be an indication of a bigger problem.

Nobody can diagnose your problem over the Internet! Not even WebMD. You can find all kinds of medical information online - but only a physician can put all of the pieces together to tell you what is wrong.

So - when is your appointment with the Cardiologist?

I am scheduled for Oct. 3, but, I called to be put on a list to get in sooner if someone cancels. Going to the ER Thursady, scared DH and he's making sure I don't do anything stupid to make it any worse, food, sodas, cigarettes :rolleyes: He took me after having over 150 palpitations in 4 hours. They we real hard this time. Thankfully, the ECG caught everyone of them on the little ticker tape. The nurse practioner that was in there with me was woohooing when it was captured. She said that since I hadn't had a heart attack and my blood pressure stayed down, there wasn't a life threatening situation that would warrant the hospital to keep me and they called to make sure of my appointment with the Cardiologist. I just have to deal with the pressure and being breathless all the time.
I'm scheduled to have the Thallium Stress Test first.
I'll be radio active woman :LOL:

When you mentioned palpitations, I immediately thought of panic attacks. I have panic attacks so I familiar with the palpitations, anxiety, etc. Just a thought.

I thought of that too, but, they are constant all day things now. I'm hoping that it's just something that I can get medication for or that it will go away and get this over with. I still have a little over a week to go to find out. I hate waiting!

Wow - texasgirl, you've had an exciting couple of days! Glad they were able to catch an episode on the ECG - that narrows things down a bit - and eliminates the need for Holter monitoring to catch one. I'm impressed you're getting a Thallium Stress Test - it shows a lot more than a standard stress test. Sounds like you've got a good Cardiologist - and good medical facilities where you live (not every hospital is equipped to do a Thallium study).

Just curious ... did the nurse say anything about PVC's? A run of those will sure make your heart thump out of your chest and leave you short of breath.

mrsmac - knowing such trivia was just part of my job for about 25 years.

Last edited:
actually, she did say some about pvc's , but, I didn't know what she was talking about and she didn't come back in for me to ask. What are they? She was saying something like missing decimals and then talking pvc's.
The only pvc I know about goes in plumbing :eek:)

Ok I read what they are, but, the doctor went through the panic attacks and stress stuff. I have had a panic attack before, I get them when I have to drive on the highways and it starts when I get on the entrance ramp. These are different in a way that I can't describe. Hopefully, they will find that is all it is. I can deal with that.

LOL - yeah - PVC as in Premature Ventricular Contractions, not polyvinal chloride. :LOL:

In a panic attack or stress situation you "probably" just feel your heart racing ... but "probably" what you're feeling with these episodes is more of a heavy thumping in your chest, and secondary shortnes of breath and maybe some dizzyness if they persist for more than a minute. You may not know how to describe them ... but did I get close? :angel:

Just curious - do you live in the DFW area, and did you get the inspiration for your original self-diagnosis of "Supraventricular Tachycardia" from a TV commercial that has been airing recently? I caught part of it this morning and couldn't believe they were airing that!

Just a week to go till you get some real answers ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom