"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
Head Chef

The other thing to do is call the Breed asscociation and ask if they have a rescue themselves. Despite the breed of dog my family have the breed society rescue get a few needing rehoming each year. Usually they go to people who are breeders or have ghad the breed before, but if you get pet sitting experience and love them they would probably consider you. I'm sure there must be something similar in USA breed societies?

Also, don't rule out a retiring dog/***** from breeding from a stud. *****es, when spayed make GREAT pets, and getting an older dog means it will be past the destructive stage. Dogs from a breeding background are often thrilledd to be in a one dog situation and really loved, and become devoted pets in my experience. Maybe talk to a few llocal breeders about this option.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
Master Chef

check out this site too...... Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.. I found my boston terrier in the classified section for a really great price because the person just really wanted to find him a good home.

Good Luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Oh I'd LOVE to have a bulldog !!! They're so gosh darn cute. But man are they expensive dogs !
Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Yes, they are.

Ok, just about any dog might make a wonderful pet. But I think, to have an English Bulldog for a pet is something really special!

I really like the one whom I've seen many times at the insurance agency! He is really a very lovable dog!

I've always wanted an English Bulldog ever since Day One! They are truly devoted to their owners, and unlike other dogs that might run away, the Buldog more then likely won't - because once he gets to know you, you have a friend practically for life.

I even told his owner that if there comes a time when he doesn't want him any more, that I'd like to have him!

He enjoys a daily walk on a loose leash, but if the weather is bad and you don't want to go out other than for him to relieve himself, you and him can become perfect couch potatoes for the day.

Wherever you go, he'll follow. He'll NEVER leave you alone and he'll stick by you through thick and thin. That is, until he thinks he's satisfied and has enough petting and holding for a while and will find a cozy spot to get a little shuteye.

He has a very docile temperment and he also loves children.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:23 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Corey, I am no expert as I never owned a dog, but I have known a few bulldogs of other people, and I truly hope you can find one of this amazingly adorable creatures for yourself... They are one of the sweetest, most affectionate dogs I have ever came across and I love them to death!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
My daughter was given a Corgi by a family that just didn't want it any more. Free with all the doggy stuff people have like a cage and food, etc.
Ahhh, too bad they are so far away...I would have been so glad to take the doggy!! Corgi is another one of my favourite canine breeds!! I hope he/she will find a great home very soon!!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Yes, I think so!

The Bulldog IS, in my opinion, one of the most gentle, loving and affectionate dog breeds I know. The one that I see almost every day is proof of that. He starts jumping up and puts his lovable warm wrinkled face right into mine! And if I don't see him, I miss him as if he's my child!

His sometimes sad eyes look right into mine and seem to be sending a message to me; "Take me home with you".

Dogs and cats, in a way, are like small children. You love and raise them to adulthood.

Only they don't move out on their own. You become their friend and master for life. At least for all of THEIR lives.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Corey if you google English Bulldog Rescue you will find a number of resources like The Bulldog Club of America Rescue Network. My husband works with a Bulldog breeder. Every time one of her dogs has puppies she's off work for two weeks (or more!). But they sure are adorable!

Rescue is an excellent way to get a dog that will love you to death. We have 3 rescue Pugs and one we purchased - the 3 rescues are the best! All four a sprawled around my feet now, along with the cat.

Of course rescue also means that there can be behavior problems, or other reasons the dogs were given up. You might check into fostering - that will truly "test your mettle". The rescue organization usually provides all medical care (unless you wish to donate). We fostered close to a dozen Pugs, not all at once, and the warmth it brings to your heart is amazing.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Thank you, Harborwitch!

I checked out the site and found some good prospects and a lot of interesting stuff!

Now is this supposed to be cheaper than buying a Bulldog from a pet store or other place?

I'm finding out more and more about this amazing dog. Even though they become adults, they really act like a small child. And he WILL give you a ton of warm wet kisses and licks - a true way of expressing his intense and undying love for you, so if you want one, this is one of the things that he loves and expects to do! And you'll have to put up with it, and him wanting your completed undevided attention.

Once he knows his way around his new home, he'll become accustomed to having things his way. In other words, you must let HIM be the boss, not you. He will act like a spoiled and selfish child, but in a very loving, friendly and affectionate way.

He'll become quite comfortable at home, but he WILL dominate things at times. I guess this is their way of saying; "If you let me live with you, then I
must have these things on a regular basis."

He also likes to be held and get cozy on your lap - just like a baby would. He LOVES being pampered and spoiled. He's like a king in his castle!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Corey, I'm sorry I haven't been around - busy and internet problems!

Usually going through an adoption from a rescue does require a fee - but the fee is usually much lower than buying a dog. It is also, usually, tax deductible because it's a charitable donation. Fostering usually doesn't involve any fees.

English Bulldogs can be all the things you describe - but they can also become selfish, spoiled, possessive brats. Please keep in mind that dogs are pack animals - they have to know who the leader of the pack is - and this is for everyone's comfort and safety - YOU have to be the pack leader. Then you can pamper, spoil, snuggle, and absolutely adore your Bulldog - and he will adore you and respect you. That's very important.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
Corey, I'm sorry I haven't been around - busy and internet problems!

Usually going through an adoption from a rescue does require a fee - but the fee is usually much lower than buying a dog. It is also, usually, tax deductible because it's a charitable donation. Fostering usually doesn't involve any fees.

English Bulldogs can be all the things you describe - but they can also become selfish, spoiled, possessive brats. Please keep in mind that dogs are pack animals - they have to know who the leader of the pack is - and this is for everyone's comfort and safety - YOU have to be the pack leader. Then you can pamper, spoil, snuggle, and absolutely adore your Bulldog - and he will adore you and respect you. That's very important.

No problem, and I'm glad that you told me that.

So, in a way, this is almost like adopting a child. Yes, I DO realise that the Bulldog can become selfish, spoiled and possessive.

Once he gets used to his home, he won't like the idea of any other pet moving in on his turf, that is unless maybe it's a female companion, and I'm not about to let that happen, or I'll have a house full of unexpected "babies" running around. So, it will be just him and I, and he'll just have to get used to the fact that there won't be a mate around for him to make babies and become sexually active with!

And according to the website, some of them, especially an older one approaching his senior years, will get jealous if there's another pet in the house besides himself.

I'm willing to give one a try! But once we get to know each other and learn each other's ways and habits, there's no parting from him at all. He'll be with me forever.