"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Does Anyone Own an English Bulldog?

How many of you own an English Bulldog?

I fell in love with the one whose owner brings to work with him at the insurance agency up the street in the evening.

He loves to jump on me and lick me in the face! He's also very friendly and affectionate. I see him just about avery day. I thought about getting one before, and now I want one for sure since becoming friends with THIS one He often makes a whining sound when I'm about to leave, as if he's going to cry like a small child!!

The Bulldog is the perfect lazy man's dog! He is so peaceful loving and hardly ever leaves his master's side. All they need is a daily short walk on the beach or in the park in fairly decent weather, a daily brushing of the hair and plenty of attention and tender loving care.

Even though they are said not to be able to tolerate too much heat and exercise, they do well in a comfortable environment.

He is also the perefect companion for apartment dwellers and don't need a whole lot of living space like large dogs do. I wish that I had the one up the street.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Corey, maybe you can ask the owner of the one you like if you could pet sit for him sometime so you can get a "feel" for this type of dog. Summer's coming and he might need to go away. You say the dog likes you. It would be a win-win situation for both of you. Well, all three of you. Or offer to walk the doggie a time or two for him.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Funny you should say that. You must have been reading my mind!

I've already mentioned that to the dog's owner. He seemed happy with the idea.

To me, it would be like the joys of babysitting again - much like the times when I babysat with my neices and nephews when THEY were all little!

Even though I'd LOVE to own one, the breed IS quite expensive to buy, costing upwards of about $2,000 because they have very large heads and have to be born by Cesarean section.

Males grow to about 50 - 55lbs and are about 14 inches at the shoulder.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Whoa! You're right...expensive. Have you tried checking foster places and shelters? We were fortunate to get a Bichon Frise ($300/$400) at a shelter for $25 a number of years ago. I would expect your area to have some good resources for adopting pets.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Pets can be obtained and adopted there yes, but the chances of ever finding a pure-bred English Bulldog are a million to one!

I can try, but the chances of finding one there are slim and none. And I'd want a male English Bulldog.

I forgot! Usually, the local paper has ads for this beed as well. Maybe at a cheaper price!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yeah, but ya know what...nothing ventured, nothing gained. We were blown away with our Bichon find. Maybe you'll "step in it," too. Get used to that phrase if you're considering getting a pet.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

True, I've heard that lots of times.

It would save some money, but English Bulldogs are really expensive and it seems highly unlikely that anyone would just give one up for adoption, knowing that they paid through the nose to get one.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

True. Don't think anyone would really give one up. In our case, the Bichon was found by a citizen by a busy road. Flyers were put up, vets contacted, shelters alerted. No one came forward to claim him. In the end he effectively became a ward of the state via the county animal shelter. That's how we came to own him. We were delighted and had him for 15 years. He was truly an angel.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

My daughter was given a Corgi by a family that just didn't want it any more. Free with all the doggy stuff people have like a cage and food, etc.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Head Chef

Corey, anything is possible. A Tonkinese kitten was abandoned on a plot of scrub land next door to where we live (all kinds of animals get "dumped" there in the summer). An absolute beauty and upwards of 300 dollars if you wanted to buy her. When I went to the local vet to see if he knew of anyone local who owned the cat and might have lost it, he said that people very often abandon expensive pets. They buy them for their kudos value and then can't look after them properly, especially when the summer holidays come. I put up notices and posters but no-one claimed the kitten so we kept her. All our cats have come to us this way.

Try the local pound or cat and dogs home. Even if you don't come across a pure breed, you might find another dog who will love you just as well.