Does Anyone Own an English Bulldog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
How many of you own an English Bulldog?:ermm:

I fell in love with the one whose owner brings to work with him at the insurance agency up the street in the evening.

He loves to jump on me and lick me in the face! He's also very friendly and affectionate. I see him just about avery day. I thought about getting one before, and now I want one for sure since becoming friends with THIS one He often makes a whining sound when I'm about to leave, as if he's going to cry like a small child!!

The Bulldog is the perfect lazy man's dog! He is so peaceful loving and hardly ever leaves his master's side. All they need is a daily short walk on the beach or in the park in fairly decent weather, a daily brushing of the hair and plenty of attention and tender loving care.

Even though they are said not to be able to tolerate too much heat and exercise, they do well in a comfortable environment.

He is also the perefect companion for apartment dwellers and don't need a whole lot of living space like large dogs do. I wish that I had the one up the street.:)

Last edited:
Corey, maybe you can ask the owner of the one you like if you could pet sit for him sometime so you can get a "feel" for this type of dog. Summer's coming and he might need to go away. You say the dog likes you. It would be a win-win situation for both of you. Well, all three of you. Or offer to walk the doggie a time or two for him.

Funny you should say that. You must have been reading my mind!

I've already mentioned that to the dog's owner. He seemed happy with the idea.

To me, it would be like the joys of babysitting again - much like the times when I babysat with my neices and nephews when THEY were all little!

Even though I'd LOVE to own one, the breed IS quite expensive to buy, costing upwards of about $2,000 because they have very large heads and have to be born by Cesarean section.

Males grow to about 50 - 55lbs and are about 14 inches at the shoulder.

Last edited:
Whoa! You're right...expensive. Have you tried checking foster places and shelters? We were fortunate to get a Bichon Frise ($300/$400) at a shelter for $25 a number of years ago. I would expect your area to have some good resources for adopting pets.

Pets can be obtained and adopted there yes, but the chances of ever finding a pure-bred English Bulldog are a million to one!

I can try, but the chances of finding one there are slim and none. And I'd want a male English Bulldog.

I forgot! Usually, the local paper has ads for this beed as well. Maybe at a cheaper price!

True, I've heard that lots of times.

It would save some money, but English Bulldogs are really expensive and it seems highly unlikely that anyone would just give one up for adoption, knowing that they paid through the nose to get one.

Last edited:
True. Don't think anyone would really give one up. In our case, the Bichon was found by a citizen by a busy road. Flyers were put up, vets contacted, shelters alerted. No one came forward to claim him. In the end he effectively became a ward of the state via the county animal shelter. That's how we came to own him. We were delighted and had him for 15 years. He was truly an angel.

My daughter was given a Corgi by a family that just didn't want it any more. Free with all the doggy stuff people have like a cage and food, etc.

Corey, anything is possible. A Tonkinese kitten was abandoned on a plot of scrub land next door to where we live (all kinds of animals get "dumped" there in the summer). An absolute beauty and upwards of 300 dollars if you wanted to buy her. When I went to the local vet to see if he knew of anyone local who owned the cat and might have lost it, he said that people very often abandon expensive pets. They buy them for their kudos value and then can't look after them properly, especially when the summer holidays come. I put up notices and posters but no-one claimed the kitten so we kept her. All our cats have come to us this way.

Try the local pound or cat and dogs home. Even if you don't come across a pure breed, you might find another dog who will love you just as well.

The other thing to do is call the Breed asscociation and ask if they have a rescue themselves. Despite the breed of dog my family have the breed society rescue get a few needing rehoming each year. Usually they go to people who are breeders or have ghad the breed before, but if you get pet sitting experience and love them they would probably consider you. I'm sure there must be something similar in USA breed societies?

Also, don't rule out a retiring dog/***** from breeding from a stud. *****es, when spayed make GREAT pets, and getting an older dog means it will be past the destructive stage. Dogs from a breeding background are often thrilledd to be in a one dog situation and really loved, and become devoted pets in my experience. Maybe talk to a few llocal breeders about this option.

Yes, they are.

Ok, just about any dog might make a wonderful pet. But I think, to have an English Bulldog for a pet is something really special!

I really like the one whom I've seen many times at the insurance agency! He is really a very lovable dog!

I've always wanted an English Bulldog ever since Day One! They are truly devoted to their owners, and unlike other dogs that might run away, the Buldog more then likely won't - because once he gets to know you, you have a friend practically for life.

I even told his owner that if there comes a time when he doesn't want him any more, that I'd like to have him!

He enjoys a daily walk on a loose leash, but if the weather is bad and you don't want to go out other than for him to relieve himself, you and him can become perfect couch potatoes for the day.

Wherever you go, he'll follow. He'll NEVER leave you alone and he'll stick by you through thick and thin. That is, until he thinks he's satisfied and has enough petting and holding for a while and will find a cozy spot to get a little shuteye.

He has a very docile temperment and he also loves children.

Last edited:
Corey, I am no expert as I never owned a dog, but I have known a few bulldogs of other people, and I truly hope you can find one of this amazingly adorable creatures for yourself... They are one of the sweetest, most affectionate dogs I have ever came across and I love them to death!!

Andy M. said:
My daughter was given a Corgi by a family that just didn't want it any more. Free with all the doggy stuff people have like a cage and food, etc.
Ahhh, too bad they are so far away...I would have been so glad to take the doggy!! Corgi is another one of my favourite canine breeds!! I hope he/she will find a great home very soon!!

Yes, I think so!

The Bulldog IS, in my opinion, one of the most gentle, loving and affectionate dog breeds I know. The one that I see almost every day is proof of that. He starts jumping up and puts his lovable warm wrinkled face right into mine! And if I don't see him, I miss him as if he's my child!

His sometimes sad eyes look right into mine and seem to be sending a message to me; "Take me home with you".

Dogs and cats, in a way, are like small children. You love and raise them to adulthood.

Only they don't move out on their own. You become their friend and master for life. At least for all of THEIR lives.

Last edited:
Corey if you google English Bulldog Rescue you will find a number of resources like The Bulldog Club of America Rescue Network. My husband works with a Bulldog breeder. Every time one of her dogs has puppies she's off work for two weeks (or more!). But they sure are adorable!

Rescue is an excellent way to get a dog that will love you to death. We have 3 rescue Pugs and one we purchased - the 3 rescues are the best! All four a sprawled around my feet now, along with the cat.

Of course rescue also means that there can be behavior problems, or other reasons the dogs were given up. You might check into fostering - that will truly "test your mettle". The rescue organization usually provides all medical care (unless you wish to donate). We fostered close to a dozen Pugs, not all at once, and the warmth it brings to your heart is amazing.

Thank you, Harborwitch!

I checked out the site and found some good prospects and a lot of interesting stuff!

Now is this supposed to be cheaper than buying a Bulldog from a pet store or other place?

I'm finding out more and more about this amazing dog. Even though they become adults, they really act like a small child. And he WILL give you a ton of warm wet kisses and licks - a true way of expressing his intense and undying love for you, so if you want one, this is one of the things that he loves and expects to do! And you'll have to put up with it, and him wanting your completed undevided attention.

Once he knows his way around his new home, he'll become accustomed to having things his way. In other words, you must let HIM be the boss, not you. He will act like a spoiled and selfish child, but in a very loving, friendly and affectionate way.

He'll become quite comfortable at home, but he WILL dominate things at times. I guess this is their way of saying; "If you let me live with you, then I
must have these things on a regular basis."

He also likes to be held and get cozy on your lap - just like a baby would. He LOVES being pampered and spoiled. He's like a king in his castle!:king:

Last edited:
Corey, I'm sorry I haven't been around - busy and internet problems!

Usually going through an adoption from a rescue does require a fee - but the fee is usually much lower than buying a dog. It is also, usually, tax deductible because it's a charitable donation. Fostering usually doesn't involve any fees.

English Bulldogs can be all the things you describe - but they can also become selfish, spoiled, possessive brats. Please keep in mind that dogs are pack animals - they have to know who the leader of the pack is - and this is for everyone's comfort and safety - YOU have to be the pack leader. Then you can pamper, spoil, snuggle, and absolutely adore your Bulldog - and he will adore you and respect you. That's very important.

Harborwitch said:
Corey, I'm sorry I haven't been around - busy and internet problems!

Usually going through an adoption from a rescue does require a fee - but the fee is usually much lower than buying a dog. It is also, usually, tax deductible because it's a charitable donation. Fostering usually doesn't involve any fees.

English Bulldogs can be all the things you describe - but they can also become selfish, spoiled, possessive brats. Please keep in mind that dogs are pack animals - they have to know who the leader of the pack is - and this is for everyone's comfort and safety - YOU have to be the pack leader. Then you can pamper, spoil, snuggle, and absolutely adore your Bulldog - and he will adore you and respect you. That's very important.

No problem, and I'm glad that you told me that.

So, in a way, this is almost like adopting a child. Yes, I DO realise that the Bulldog can become selfish, spoiled and possessive.

Once he gets used to his home, he won't like the idea of any other pet moving in on his turf, that is unless maybe it's a female companion, and I'm not about to let that happen, or I'll have a house full of unexpected "babies" running around. So, it will be just him and I, and he'll just have to get used to the fact that there won't be a mate around for him to make babies and become sexually active with!

And according to the website, some of them, especially an older one approaching his senior years, will get jealous if there's another pet in the house besides himself.

I'm willing to give one a try! But once we get to know each other and learn each other's ways and habits, there's no parting from him at all. He'll be with me forever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom