Does anyone use a garbage disposal anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a disposal, but most of its "food" is whatever I rinse from the dishes after the bulky stuff goes into the garbage can. We don't have a compost pile because there isn't a convenient place to put it...and I'm too lazy to bother with it anyway,

This is us just about 100%. Disposal in the small side of the double sink, gets small scraps and stuff that rinses off dishes and pans. Bulky scraps just go in the trash. We got in the habit just scraping it all into the trash when we lived in the Bahamas without a disposal for 2½ years.

Miley, our rescue mutt, gets a few bits of meat occasionally, but we are selective about that because we don't want him to get fat, and when they live on table scraps, they always seem to gain weight. Miley has weighed right at 40 pounds since he reached full size, and that hasn't changed in 3 years. The same was true of our previous baby. He was locked in at a trim and active 50 pounds his whole life, and passed at just shy of 15 years.

We don't garden enough to warrant hassling with compost. Easier to just get some for free each spring when the brothers who rent my father-in-law's land dump a pile of composted feed lot manure (we have cattle feed lots all over the countryside around here) in the corner of one field to spread for fertilizer. We just ask and they say sure, so we take about 20-30 gallons of that for our small veggie garden. Takes about 1/2 hour to fetch and spread, then my brother-in-law comes by a few days later with his rototiller and turns it in.

This is us just about 100%. Disposal in the small side of the double sink, gets small scraps and stuff that rinses off dishes and pans. Bulky scraps just go in the trash. We got in the habit just scraping it all into the trash when we lived in the Bahamas without a disposal for 2½ years.

Miley, our rescue mutt, gets a few bits of meat occasionally, but we are selective about that because we don't want him to get fat, and when they live on table scraps, they always seem to gain weight. Miley has weighed right at 40 pounds since he reached full size, and that hasn't changed in 3 years. The same was true of our previous baby. He was locked in at a trim and active 50 pounds his whole life, and passed at just shy of 15 years.

We don't garden enough to warrant hassling with compost. Easier to just get some for free each spring when the brothers who rent my father-in-law's land dump a pile of composted feed lot manure (we have cattle feed lots all over the countryside around here) in the corner of one field to spread for fertilizer. We just ask and they say sure, so we take about 20-30 gallons of that for our small veggie garden. Takes about 1/2 hour to fetch and spread, then my brother-in-law comes by a few days later with his rototiller and turns it in.

I'm with you pretty much all the way. I also dump big stuff in the trash, and rinse the plate into the small side of my sink, which has a GD.

I used to have two dogs, one was the world's biggest Sheltie. Actually, a sheltie/border collie mix. She looked like a pure sheltie, but was 75 pounds, and not fat. She was just big. We called her "75 pounds of love in a fur coat." :LOL:

The city I live in takes bagged yard waste, like grass clippings and tree and bush trimmings, and composts it. Taxpaying homeowners get a certain amount free each year. They sell the rest at Home Depot and Lowe's stores in the area.

The free stuff is not bagged, so you need to have a truck, which I don't. I have to buy it in bags.

CD

OMG, the worm thing. That would bother me, too, although I don't know why. I've had mice and rats in my kitchen (the pet kind, in their cages) and my friends who have horses are even worse. They take blood from their horses to be tested and there's only one place where you can keep the blood cool until it's dropped off. You haven't lived until you open up the fridge and see...

Speaking of worms, I have to share a funny story with you all. My friend Becky and I were up at her pasture once in the barn and while we were there, some guy drove up and hopped the fence with a bucket and a shovel. I asked Becky who he was and she said she didn't know.

So we watched him and then realized that he was collecting the horse poop to bring home to his worms. Becky watched him go and then she said, "If he had been polite and asked before trespassing, I would have told him not to use that poop. We dewormed all the horses yesterday."

So all that horse poop the guy collected had dewormer in it and would kill his worms as soon as it hit them.

And Casey Dog, before I forget, you are pardoned. LOL

Last edited:
RR, when I was in college, I had a hamster. My dorm room-mate was cool with it, and that hamster was well known around the dorm, and well loved. It was a coed dorm, and the women loved that hamster. He would escape now and then, but people would find him and bring him back, because everyone knew who owned it. I had a pretty elaborate Habitrail setup for the hamster, and we never got caught having a pet. Not sure how we got away with it -- for two years.

We also had a dog for a while... a stray we adopted. We found a good home for the dog, but we had a dog living in our dorm room for about three weeks. I can't believe we got away with that. It was a German Shepherd. Not an easy dog to hide. We named him Fred.

CD

RR, when I was in college, I had a hamster. My dorm room-mate was cool with it, and that hamster was well known around the dorm, and well loved. It was a coed dorm, and the women loved that hamster. He would escape now and then, but people would find him and bring him back, because everyone knew who owned it. I had a pretty elaborate Habitrail setup for the hamster, and we never got caught having a pet. Not sure how we got away with it -- for two years.

We also had a dog for a while... a stray we adopted. We found a good home for the dog, but we had a dog living in our dorm room for about three weeks. I can't believe we got away with that. It was a German Shepherd. Not an easy dog to hide. We named him Fred.

CD
You must’ve gone to some really strict college, or had more sense than I did in those days, if keeping a hamster or rescuing a dog were the biggest no-nos you took part in! I’m betting it’s the latter.

I think GD's, DW's, and TC's are just an American thing. The rest of the world does fine without them...

TC = Trash Compactors (if you were wondering)

I never really understood TC's for residential use.
Our first home came with one and we used it but there was no need for compacting as we had a 90 gallon city trash bin which was plenty large enough for a week's worth of trash.

TC = Trash Compactors (if you were wondering)

I never really understood TC's for residential use.
Our first home came with one and we used it but there was no need for compacting as we had a 90 gallon city trash bin which was plenty large enough for a week's worth of trash.
Until you get to pay as you throw, where you pay by the bag.

Back
Top Bottom