"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #21
Master Chef

I love cooking (shhh, just don’t tell my wife I always tell her that I do it out of necessity) don’t take me wrong, I really, really do and it is enjoyable, but for stress relieve there only two things that help, cloth shopping, and the other one I’m not going to mention so not to be edited.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
I too prefer to cook for others. But when I am cooking a large meal I rarely eat it. I guess I have had my fill with all the tasting to get it just right!
I really thought I was the only one who was like that. We always have a huge Thanksgiving meal at the farm and by the time meal time arrives I want only a cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea. I don't do a lot of tasting but the smells of such delicious food usually is so satisfying for me. I really enjoy the leftover meal much more.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

I think you'll find many cooks have lost their appetites when they have prepared a big meal such as Thanksgiving.

This came up in an old thread and many cooks stated the same. By the time the meal is served, they have no appetite to eat it because the smells of the kitchen and all the foods cooking have curbed your appetite.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Yup! Slicing, dicing, chopping, mixing, cooking... better than a Valium for me! :)
Well put!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

So, all the things that others find so onerous, chopping, slow or long cooking, large meals...we find soothing. Are we strange???
Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #26
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
So, all the things that others find so onerous, chopping, slow or long cooking, large meals...we find soothing. Are we strange???
No, we are foodies!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #27
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Strange, I don't know about that...many cook because they plain have to, not becasue they like/love to. We make big meals and love to share our love and passion and the fruits of them with others, so to us it is not a chore to cook big meals, dice and chop, saute and slice, it is our passion, it is in our blood, it is part of us and who we are.

It is like having "the theater bug" it can't be explained and no one will understand but others that share your passion. My family never unerstood that, they still don't, and they don't really understand my love of cooking.

So yes, maybe we are strange. Oh, and to answer the origianl question, yes cooking does sooth my soul.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
My family never unerstood that, they still don't, and they don't really understand my love of cooking.
My family doesn't understand, either. They also don't understand why I picked nursing as a career or my love for Science-Fiction...I'm the odd one in my family.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #29
Master Chef

To expand a little about why I love to cook.....I love my own cooking.

I may be selfish, but I simply wouldn't cook something I don't like. That's one of the many reasons I wouldn't do well cooking for wages. If someone requested that I cook something I don't like, I'd simply suggest they learn how to cook it themselves.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #30
Master Chef

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Definitely not baking, too much science and math for me to screw up! But when making a dish I know my friends and/or family will love (or at least enjoy an experience), in a comfortable kitchen with good knives and cooperative guests, yes. Fussy eaters? People who think that toddlers in the kitchen when you're dealing with very hot, very heavy items? Then, no. Cooking out on the grill, almost always yes.