"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The only place I encounter toddlers in the litchen is when I cook at my mother's house. Mom has a counter bar and I have the kids sit there where they can watch me and they are quite adept at tearing lettuce, picking grapes, stemming cherries, shucking corn. I've even made refrigerated cookie dough before I start so they can roll and cut out cookies while I run around the kitchen. They are also fantastic taste testers!!! I just set the boundaries, like this line right here ---> and no further, before we start.

I would think a card table set-up in a corner where they could watch would help, too!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #32
Master Chef

I, too, find myself not hungry when I sit down to eat when it is a big meal, especially holiday meals. I've tasted and tasted and really am quite full; I'm sweaty and tired. When I'm hot and tired, my hands shake, which can be embarassing. But mostly I just don't feel like eating, and I love to eat.

The child thing? I guess I didn't make myself clear. We're not talking kids old enough to even think of helping. I mean barely old enough to walk, a year, not even quite two. One time I actually picked up a year old nephew, handed him to his father, and said, I'm about to take the turkey out of the oven, please keep him out of the kitchen for a few minutes, it is over 20 pounds and he'll get hurt. Grabbed the bird, was getting ready to lift it, and the baby was under my feet. And similar things. No, the toddlers old enough to help? Yeah, I give them a job and they're happy and so am I. Like you, it was Mom's kitchen, which has a great , low "peninsula" where the grands (my nieces and nephews) did homework, crafts, and for those so inclined, help cooking. Now they're all in high school and college, and I didn't kill any of them with a slipped 20+ pound turkey, or scald them with juices, but it was a problem for a few years there.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I firmly believe in tying down....er... I mean placing in a highchair and buckling in, those small enough they can't take direction. Or even out on the porch with the dogs and cats.

I'm kidding about the porch, honest! :)