Does Costco Take Credit Cards Other Than American Express?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
1.5% of what equals $50 or $75? i suck at basic math.

unless you make big purchases every year, or buy a ton of small things for a group, you lose a few bucks. it's a genius idea tailored to the numbers. costco ain't in the business of losing money. not $1.

if they make a buck, their formula worked.

Right, simple math lesson Bucky.
1.5% of something is 50 translates to
1.5% * x = 50 x being the variable
1.5% =.015 in straight numbers
So now we have
.015 * x = 50
Divide both sides of the equation to isolate x, the figure you are trying to determine.
Now we have
x = 50/.015
Now you can just use the calculator on your computer to get your number and next time you run into this problem you don't have to make TL and Andy do your math for you.

So now that I'm done being a smart alec, the hubby and I have been trying to figure out if a Costco membership is worth it for us. On the one hand, the savings on gas would likely at least come close to covering the cost of the membership. On the other, there are only two of us and we just have a small appartment freezer and fridge. We do have a relatively large pantry though. I'm just not sure if the buying in bulk would be worth it for us.

Last edited:
I usually get back more than I pay extra for the executive membership. One year I didn't so I didn't renew, but they wanted to give me some sort of deal on renewing the executive part. The first year, I had a money back guarantee that I would at least make my money back.

I buy a lot of my groceries there. I buy the occasional big box of computer paper, cat litter, and not much else that isn't groceries. BTW, it's only two of us here.

Over the years, I check periodically with customer service. they can tell you how much you've spent in the last year. For me it's never enough to cover the added membership cost.

I'm actually going there later today.

So now that I'm done being a smart alec, the hubby and I have been trying to figure out if a Costco membership is worth it for us. On the one hand, the savings on gas would likely at least come close to covering the cost of the membership. On the other, there are only two of us and we just have a small appartment freezer and fridge. We do have a relatively large pantry though. I'm just not sure if the buying in bulk would be worth it for us.
There's only two of us here too and I find the more expensive membership is worth it for me, though mine is about $10 cheaper because I am a business member. We don't even have Costco gas here.

Some of the stuff I buy: whole pork loin, ground pork, ground beef, cheeses, Folgers coffee in a huge container, big bag of "stir fry style" frozen vegis, coffee cream in litre containers, eggs by the 1.5 dozen, bacon in 3 or 4 500 g (~1lb) packs, dishwasher soap, almonds, walnuts, pecans, vanilla, passata, organic whole grain baguettes, ... A pantry is helpful.

I cut the pork loin into roasts and serving sized chunks and freeze them (I buy the plastic wrap at Costco too). I buy the ground beef in pre-shaped patties. They are about 1/2 lb each patty (the ones in the meat, not freezer, section are just plain ground beef at the same price as the big lump of ground beef). I freeze those individually and take out two or three for a meat loaf, etc. We did this before we got the chest freezer.

Tell the people at the customer service desk that you aren't sure that it is worth it for you. Sometimes they can arrange something, like letting you shop once or giving a satisfaction guarantee for 30 days. It's worth talking to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
taxlady, how did you get my name on pag's quote? I normally don't mind but the line about 'hubby and I' could send an inaccurate message...

lol, tax. at least they don't charge you to go see the "egress".

thanks andy and pag. i was too tired to try to do a math problem. ask me to calculate in hex or differential calculus, and i'm your man.

but yes, that was my point. we don't spend a few grand a year at costco, so it wasn't worth it.

lol, tax. at least they don't charge you to go see the "egress".

thanks andy and pag. i was too tired to try to do a math problem. ask me to calculate in hex or differential calculus, and i'm your man.

but yes, that was my point. we don't spend a few grand a year at costco, so it wasn't worth it.
As Andy mentioned, you can ask the customer service people to see how much you have spent in the past.

I think I'll get the basic membership. We will be taking a trip to Minneapolis, and they too have a Costco! (Everyone has a Costco but us, it seems. :grumble: )Will bring the debit card.

Thanks for all the info and tips!

Last edited:
bakechef said:
We don't have the Costco Amex, but do have another rewards card. Even with our modest expenses, we usually net $200 a year in rewards, it's free money! I've known so many people that didn't realize that if you pay it off in full by the due date, then there is no interest!

Agreed, BakeChef . Our expenses are modest as well, in fact...... We are just plain cheap! We like free money!

Somebunny said:
Agreed, BakeChef . Our expenses are modest as well, in fact...... We are just plain cheap! We like free money!

I'm kinda cheap myself, and I like earning money on money that I have no choice but to spend!

Luckily, my work pays for my membership...I have to spend my time on a Saturday buying supplies for our work kitchen a few times a year, but they do pay me mileage to go there. Hubby gets a free membership. We would not spend enough on our own to justify joining.

And the grazing is good on Saturdays...other times, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom