Does Costco Take Credit Cards Other Than American Express?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
We will soon be getting a Costco within reasonable driving distance, and I plan to get the basic Gold membership for $55. I looked online and on Costco's website, and still can't get a straight answer. Does Costco accept Visa credit card, or are they still strictly AmEx? I saw where they will accept debit cards and checks, and I think you can buy gas with a regular Visa CC. We get cash back with our Visa CC, and would prefer to use that instead of our debit card. We don't have an AmEx card.

Thanks for any tips!

Here in MA and NH, Costco has a deal with Amex. It's the only CC they accept. Debit cards are accepted.

Here in Canada the only credit card they accept is American Express. They accept debit cards, cash, and cheques. Most retail places here in Canada don't take cheques.

I have the executive membership and get back 2% on most stuff other than tobacco and wine. The year I signed up for that, they gave me a money back guarantee that I would save back at least as much as the extra membership cost.

Last edited:
Shoot. Just as I thought. Thanks, guys.

Oh, well, on the bright side, we will get a Costco! 45 minutes away is better than 3 1/2 hours!

yup, only amex. they even have their own sposored amex card, where you get an additional fraction of a discount if you use their amex.

i tried to morph my amex, of which i've had since the 80's, into theirs but they wouldn't allow it. if i wanted the extra discount, i'd have to get their card and end up having two amex accounts.

no thanks. one is bad enough when dw gets her talons into it. :ermm:

have fun eating the samples lunch, dawg. :)

yup, only amex. they even have their own sposored amex card, where you get an additional fraction of a discount if you use their amex.

i tried to morph my amex, of which i've had since the 80's, into theirs but they wouldn't allow it. if i wanted the extra discount, i'd have to get their card and end up having two amex accounts.

no thanks. one is bad enough when dw gets her talons into it. :ermm:

have fun eating the samples lunch, dawg. :)
Grazing is one of the best things about going to Costco! :mrgreen:

heck, yeah! a little trail mix, a pizza roll, some crab dip, a teeny quiche, a cube of cheese, a tiny pita wedge or two, ... and you get to wash it down with a shot of a chondroitin/glucosamine drink, lol.

no mini poutne, doughnuts, maple candies, or back bacon, taxy?

he hee, just kidding.

do the exit signs say "oot"? :mrgreen:

sorry, couldn't help it.

We have their AE card and it gives back 1-1 1/2 percent credit at the store at the end of the year if I am not mistaken. A big screen or two and regular trip can make make a difference. The benefits have been worth it! My wife deals with it But that is what I remember for what it is worth.

1.5% of what equals $50 or $75? i suck at basic math.

unless you make big purchases every year, or buy a ton of small things for a group, you lose a few bucks. it's a genius idea tailored to the numbers. costco ain't in the business of losing money. not $1.

if they make a buck, their formula worked.

Last edited:
I could be totally wrong with the math but I remember getting about 350.00 in store credit the year we bought a tv for around 1800.00 and we shoppped their for diapers and formula pretyy regularly.I bet it it at least covered the membership for the year.(I could be wrong)

My wife handles the finances........I handle the kitchen!...It works for us!
We spend a few thousand yearly there and anything back is appreciated as well as the immediate savings.

We find the Costco Executive membership (AMEX card) well worth the price of the membership, I was skeptical at first, but we bought a tv the first year and the rebate paid for the membership, and more. Then we started using the card for everything, we put all of our purchases on it, gas, food, entertainment, vacations, utilities etc. even insurance and I have even been known to pay the real estate taxes with it. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out how to pay on it is the mortgage and believe me if I figure that out its going on there
too! You get a percentage back from AMEX and as an executive member of Costco you get a dividend back from Costco ( that one has to be redeemed at Costco).
DISCLAIMER: I don't advocate using credit cards anywhere, by anyone, unless you use them responsibly. The total balance of this card is auto-debited from our checking account each month. If we didn't have this done it would be far too easy for it to get out of control, since most of our monthly expenses are on the card the monthly balance is substantial. On the other hand we can track our monthly expenses rather easily tho there are a few places that don't take American Express. If you are folks who pay off your credit card debt monthly, then I highly recommend this card and if you are okay with auto pay for your living expenses, I also recommend this method. :)

We find the Costco Executive membership (AMEX card) well worth the price of the membership, I was skeptical at first, but we bought a tv the first year and the rebate paid for the membership, and more. Then we started using the card for everything, we put all of our purchases on it, gas, food, entertainment, vacations, utilities etc. even insurance and I have even been known to pay the real estate taxes with it. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out how to pay on it is the mortgage and believe me if I figure that out its going on there
too! You get a percentage back from AMEX and as an executive member of Costco you get a dividend back from Costco ( that one has to be redeemed at Costco).
DISCLAIMER: I don't advocate using credit cards anywhere, by anyone, unless you use them responsibly. The total balance of this card is auto-debited from our checking account each month. If we didn't have this done it would be far too easy for it to get out of control, since most of our monthly expenses are on the card the monthly balance is substantial. On the other hand we can track our monthly expenses rather easily tho there are a few places that don't take American Express. If you are folks who pay off your credit card debt monthly, then I highly recommend this card and if you are okay with auto pay for your living expenses, I also recommend this method. :)

We don't have the Costco Amex, but do have another rewards card. Even with our modest expenses, we usually net $200 a year in rewards, it's free money! I've known so many people that didn't realize that if you pay it off in full by the due date, then there is no interest!

Current membership is $55. for basic and $110 for exec. where you get 2% rewards. You'd have to spend $2,750. at Costco in a year to offset the added membership cost. Anything you spent over the $2,750 would give you actual financial benefit.

Current membership is $55. for basic and $110 for exec. where you get 2% rewards. You'd have to spend $2,750. at Costco in a year to offset the added membership cost. Anything you spent over the $2,750 would give you actual financial benefit.
I usually get back more than I pay extra for the executive membership. One year I didn't so I didn't renew, but they wanted to give me some sort of deal on renewing the executive part. The first year, I had a money back guarantee that I would at least make my money back.

I buy a lot of my groceries there. I buy the occasional big box of computer paper, cat litter, and not much else that isn't groceries. BTW, it's only two of us here.

Back
Top Bottom