Does/Has anyone lived in a haunted house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vagriller said:
I don't really have any ghost stories of my own, but I have some pictures of my son's guardian angel. When he was about 4 months old we took some pictures of him on our dark green futon. The angel is not in all the pics, just 2 of them. Then about a year or so later we took some more pics at Christmas time. We chose one of them to use as a Christmas card. When we got the cards made we noticed the angel was back in the picture. I should scan the pictures sometime.
I would love to see those pics if you get a chance to scan them!!!:)
Love and energy,Vicki

Interesting timing on this thread. Today's (8/26/06) Los Angeles Times carries the obituary of Ed Warren, a self-styled "religious demonologist" who "firmly believed in ghosts, demons and other unworldly creatures — and in helping people deal with unwanted visitations."

Warren's cases cases included what would become the basis for "The Amityville Horror." According to the article, Warren continued to insist that the Amityvhille house was haunted even though "the people who lived in the house, and their lawyer, all admitted that it was an elaborate hoax."

Now, THAT'S spooky! :eek:

This is SUCH a cool thread!

I am amazed that you guys aren't terrified when this stuff happens. I'd be running out the nearest door. Man!

Lee

It depends on what you have experienced; whether you are frightened or not.There are benign spirits, definitely good ones, and very bad ones. There are also the impressions left on places that seem almost like taped loops on places. You just have to be familiar with all of them to know the difference. Growing up in the places I did, you did learn real quick!!! My Grandpa still checks on me and my family at times. A dear friend that passed away about 10 years ago is still around and I get a kick hearing that she is still a spit-fire!!!!!!!! She is not a bad spirit, she just does not tolerate certain people!!! I have to say that I agree with her completely!!!!!

When we first moved into our house about 8 years ago I woke up at about 3:00 AM with a VERY strong cigarette smoke smell - it was so strong I could not go back to sleep. This is the same night that the cat jumped up in bed and curled lup behind my back - the covers were tight around my back so I put my hand back there to move the cat - NO cat was there. That happened many times and one time there was even jumping on the bed.

The cigarette smoke happened more and more. It was very annoying when we were re-doing the courtyard. Every night strong cigarette smoke. I was telling my neighbor about it (fearful we now would be known as those looney people who live on the corner). She said Oh, that must be Pat. Pat was a heavy smoker and died in your bedroom. Her pride and joy is the courtyard and I bet she's making sure you do it right and she's probably upset you are doing anything at all to it. This went on for several months - the cigarette smoke.

So, one night I decided to talk to her. I told her that I didn't mind if she was here - she was welcome to stay - but the cigarette smoke was really bothering me and could she please stop smoking - like someone turned off a switch the smoke smell went away. Then I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sense her so I told her that when she was around I wouldn't mind smelling just a few puffs. And that's what happened - I would maybe take one or two breaths, smell it, then it would be gone.

Now, she always did this upstairs. One time my husband and I got into a little "tiff". I was at my computer downstairs and was startled because someone was apprently smoking a cigarette right outside the window I was sitting next to. I ripped the blinds up and no one. I smelled it several times so it had to be Pat. Then I realized that when Michael and I argued Pat would follow me around the house smoking!!! We'd make up and she'd leave me alone.

Then, about 1 1/2 years ago I smelled her constantly for a week. For some reason I sensed that she was saying goodbye. I talked to her, told her we would take care of everything (BTW - we are the first people to own this house outside of the original family who built it in 1916) and she could go now and rest - everything would be ok. I've never smelled cigarette smoke since. Occasionally since then (maybe 3 times) I thought I did but I'm just not sure because it wasn't strong enough to really tell.

We also had a cat "follow" us to our last new house. He died in our apartment and we moved a couple weeks later. Well, my husband and I would always see this graying shadow at the front door thinking it was George (funny how that name keeps coming up, huh?) finally back - but then we would actually turn and look and there would be nothing there. We would both see it at the same time. Sometimes we would see him on the stairs as we rounded the corner to go up. OK, so we moved. A couple neighborhood boys came over and we were all in the kitchen. One of them kept brushing the side of his leg but he never really looked down - but you could tell he was being annoyed by something. He finally said something about our gray cat that kept rubbing his leg - well, we didn't have a cat. So, George apparently moved with us.

My latest "sign" was when I was coming back from Ohio after my sister's funeral. I was so tired I pulled into a rest stop to take a 20-minute nap. When I pulled back out onto the highway I was behind a truck with the initials P.A.M. on the side and back - that's my sister's name who passed away. I got some pictures on my cell phone - I thought it was the coolest thing!!!!!

I also need to add that the night my sister passed away my nephew and I were sharing a room at the hotel - as we had been doing our entire stay. Things were falling off the desk that shouldn't have fallen off - there were very loud creeks at the windows and just a bunch of other noises - all really weird. My nephew turned the light on and said, ok, the light stays on but if I hear one more noise I'm sleeping with you!!!!!!!

Forgot to say - No, I was never frightened and found it quite intriguing! Someone went into our downstairs bathroom one time and I heard her say, Oh, excuse me. She asked me who that was in the bathtub - well, I ran in there - it must have been Pat - washing off all that cigarette smoke lol

Last edited:
And here I was just saying that I hadn't seen anyone in a while....One of them was in my room last night, I think just checking on me. I'm in the process of helping my daughter pack for college and the tears just seem to flow at will. I seem to notice them more when things are unsettled in my life.

I have a large tree branch in the corner of my bedroom. It's strung with lights and has unusual ornaments dangling from the smaller branches. I think the spirit must like it, because that's where all the noise was coming from.:ermm:

(((VeraBlue)))I know the feelings of both sending the "baby girls" off to college and the feeling of never being alone.Even though Kier's college is only 1/2 an hour away-she's still not here but, at the same time I know she's also not alone,those who aren't physically here watch her there as they do here.I'll be thinking about you today as you move your daughter into another stage in her life.Love and energy, Vicki

My mom's side of the family has always been famous for their willpower, and even now I get the feelings sometimes that my mom is trying to tell me things, but the best story involves her dad (my grandfather) shortly after he passed away. He passed away before I was born, but we heard this story several times.

Mom and her two brothers were at the house with grandma getting ready for the wake, which was going to be at the house. Donnie was the oldest, and always a bit of a trouble maker (he had a heart of gold though). Grandpa always drove Cadillacs, and Donnie was always trying to get him to let him take the car, which never happened.

Grandma told Donnie to "Take Daddy's car, go get it washed and come right back" Donnie jumped up and walked through the doorway into the kitchen (the dooor to the backyard was at the very back of the house). There was a cross that was hung over the top of the doorway - it fell down only ONCE the entire time it was hung there - right when Donnie was going to go take Grandpa's Cadillac. Hit him right in the head!

My uncle Hank ended up taking the car to get it washed... :)

John

VickiQ said:
(((VeraBlue)))I know the feelings of both sending the "baby girls" off to college and the feeling of never being alone.Even though Kier's college is only 1/2 an hour away-she's still not here but, at the same time I know she's also not alone,those who aren't physically here watch her there as they do here.I'll be thinking about you today as you move your daughter into another stage in her life.Love and energy, Vicki

Vicki, thank you so very much. My dolly actually isn't going all that far. I'm in northern NJ and she's moving to Manhattan... Even if she was moving next door, things are just not going to be the same. I'm so proud of her, yet I know I'm going to miss her, terribly.

Thank you again for such kind thoughts:flowers:

((VeraBlue)) I"m not too far from you- I'm right over the Mahwah border in Rockland-my daughter's school is only in Westchester(SUNY Purchase).Sometimes this small world seems very large!!Love and energy, Vicki

My sister and I lived in a stone house, at the top of a small mountain right smack in the middle of 25 acres. There was a gravel driveway that led up to the house. We had 3 dogs at the time, a Lab, a Great Dane, a Pekeniese (sp) and a cat.

All this started gradually and maybe that's why we weren't scared or nervous.

We'd be sitting in the living room and hear someone walking on the wooden hallway right behind us. The dogs would all jump up and check it out, everytime.

This house was solid stone and you couldn't hear anything from outside. Our doors/windows would be shut and we'd hear a car on the gravel, people would get out laughing and chatting, we'd hear the car doors slamming shut....our dogs would go nuts, we'd open the door and no one was there. We'd have company and they'd get up to open the door and ask, "Are you expecting someone else?". But when someone did drive up, we'd be surprised when they knocked on the door since we didn't hear a thing...not ever the dogs.

We'd wake up to the sounds of a party in the living room. We'd hear the glasses clinking, the laughing and partying, soft music and muffled voices...of course it stopped when we got out of bed.

We had a huge stone covered porch that was attached to the house/front door. I'd be grilling and my sister would be in the kitchen. We'd meet each other in the living room and say, "What?". We had each heard our names being called and assumed it was each other. We'd heard that alot in the house, many times, and would meet each other 1/2 way.

We'd hear digging in the woods that surrounded the house. We could hear a shovel going into gravely dirt and the dirt being thrown. The dogs would take off and as soon as they hit 'the spot', the digging would move about 100 yards and they'd take off after that noise.

My dad came to visit and although he loved animals, he didn't want to sleep with them and our dogs would be all over the beds at night...moving back and forth between our beds. At bedtime, we made sure the 3 dogs and the cat were all locked in our bedroom. My dad was sleeping in mine. In the morning he woke up and was annoyed that we had left the cat out and she played with his suitcase clasps all night long, in the closet. The cat was with us, of course.

Now that closet gave me problems, too. I'd wake up to shoes being dropped and I could hear the hangers moving around, like someone was taking an outfit out and then putting it back in while sliding the other hangers to make room.

The house was alarmed to the hilt. Someone who lived there before us had even alarmed a closet that she kept her furs in. After we went to bed and the alarm was set, we'd wake up when it would go off in the middle of the night. We'd get up and that closet door would be opened.

Oh oh Oh! I forgot to tell you this, about when we moved in the house. We of course, went from top to bottom making sure everything was secured and cleaned out. We only found one thing in that house, one little bitty tiny thing that seemed to set the mood for living there. In the attic, on one of the 2x4s that supported the house, was an old negative. When we held it up to the light, it was a negative of a room with a coffin in it.

Funny, we were never scared in the house. I stayed there alone on many occasions, at night.

Lots of things have happened to me since then but that house really stands out in my mind, of course.

Last edited:
PeppA, my other half, and her Mom, both insist that they heard a lady's voice saying something last year. The previous owner's mother had died in the back yard while mowing it. I've never seen or heard anything "odd". PeppA has also insisted that last summer, she heard someone moving some stuff in out "breezeway", a small covered area between the house and our garage. The breezeway is on the other side of our bedroom wall, and the bathroom window is right there as well.

At the country club I work at, years ago, one of the members, "Clyde" died, in the clubhouse. Every now and then, for no reason, something in the kitchen will fall. One of the other cooks (who's been there for 25 years) claims that he has even seen Clyde.

Oh, how fun! I'm going to keep reading this thread. Ironically, I have had others tell me my house is/was haunted, but never really felt it myself. My house was built in 1854, and my guest room is an old servants' room. Three different people have told me I have a ghost! I've slept in that room often, and she's never visited me. One of my most recent guests told me she talked to her, telling her to not bother her, she needed a good night's sleep, and that she complied. I do have "ghost" aromas -- every once in awhile I smell someone walking by with a cigarette. I've never smoked, and my husband hasn't for decades. Our smoking guests always smoke outside, and there are no smoking neighbors on either side. But I grew up in a smoking family, and this is a very distinctive aroma of a fresh cigarette. Then in one part of the house I occasionally smell cedar. I've scratched every piece of wood there is and none of it is cedar, and I don't own a cedar chest. There is no explanation for either scent, they are fresh.

When we were in the military, we lived in quarters that were supposedly haunted. The story was that a military officer married a very much younger bride. He was away often, and she had an affair with a younger man whenever he was out of town. He came home once and caught them, and shot them both. She is said to walk the alley behind the house with a lantern, signalling to her young lover that it was safe to come and visit her. As with my house now, I never saw her. Varina Davis also was said to haunt our house, although I'm not sure why, since she didn't die there. But several people swore that they'd seen her.

The best ghost, though, was one we did know about. Again, we're talking military quarters dating to antebellum days. But consistently everyone who lived in this house had the same tale. Someone lets their pets out at night. The engineers have been to the house consistently in the past 150+ years and never found a way for the animals to get out. But dozens, if not hundreds, of families have lived in that house and had the same problem. They've been awakened by their pets who they KNOW were NOT left outside.

Hey, Robo, I used to live next to Arlington Cemetary. No one ever bothered me, but I would hear "taps" play and break down and cry like a baby.

I was a funeral director and the haunting sounds of taps and the 'echo' taps (from another room) always brought me to tears. Another one is Amazing Grace on the bagpipes....and Danny Boy, oh my. :(

I had to post a reply because I tried to edit the previous post and the computer froze up...for the first time, I might add since it's brand new. ooooOOOOooooo, spooky. LOL :ROFLMAO:

At the funeral home, sometimes I wouldn't get out of there until 10 or 11 pm. I'd go through all 4 stories and turn out the lights and lamps.

Many many times after going through my routine, I would be in the parking lot and see a lamp turned on in the office. There was no question about it at all. I had turned it off.

I was never ever able to make myself unlock the doors and go up to the 3rd floor office to turn that lamp off again.

I never saw a spirit at the funeral home but several people did. I could feel the presence of people who had passed but I think that was pretty normal given the history of the house.

My great-great-grandmother was known as a healer. There are many stories about her. She has even been written about and the files are sealed by her church. After she was buried in a small cemetery, her granddaughter went to the grave. She said that as she got near the grave, a big black cloud of smoke came up out of the ground. Needless to say she was very frightened.
Has anyone else ever heard of anything like that?

One time I was driving to work on the freeway, and I noticed what looked like a shadow from a cloud move onto the freeway, then it began traveling very fast down the freeway. I tried to catch it (and I was going about 75 mph, about as fast as my Nissan pickup will go!) but it just pulled away from me. That was wierd!

Back
Top Bottom