"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #21
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by vagriller
I don't really have any ghost stories of my own, but I have some pictures of my son's guardian angel. When he was about 4 months old we took some pictures of him on our dark green futon. The angel is not in all the pics, just 2 of them. Then about a year or so later we took some more pics at Christmas time. We chose one of them to use as a Christmas card. When we got the cards made we noticed the angel was back in the picture. I should scan the pictures sometime.
I would love to see those pics if you get a chance to scan them!!!
Love and energy,Vicki

VickiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #22
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Interesting timing on this thread. Today's (8/26/06) Los Angeles Times carries the obituary of Ed Warren, a self-styled "religious demonologist" who "firmly believed in ghosts, demons and other unworldly creatures and in helping people deal with unwanted visitations."

Warren's cases cases included what would become the basis for "The Amityville Horror." According to the article, Warren continued to insist that the Amityvhille house was haunted even though "the people who lived in the house, and their lawyer, all admitted that it was an elaborate hoax."

Now, THAT'S spooky!

FryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
How much time do you have ?
I HAVE to believe in that stuff
because I've had too many
experiences NOT to.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #24
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
C'mon Middie, do tell, do tell.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #25
Head Chef
This is SUCH a cool thread!

I am amazed that you guys aren't terrified when this stuff happens. I'd be running out the nearest door. Man!

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #26
Head Chef
It depends on what you have experienced; whether you are frightened or not.There are benign spirits, definitely good ones, and very bad ones. There are also the impressions left on places that seem almost like taped loops on places. You just have to be familiar with all of them to know the difference. Growing up in the places I did, you did learn real quick!!! My Grandpa still checks on me and my family at times. A dear friend that passed away about 10 years ago is still around and I get a kick hearing that she is still a spit-fire!!!!!!!! She is not a bad spirit, she just does not tolerate certain people!!! I have to say that I agree with her completely!!!!!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
When we first moved into our house about 8 years ago I woke up at about 3:00 AM with a VERY strong cigarette smoke smell - it was so strong I could not go back to sleep. This is the same night that the cat jumped up in bed and curled lup behind my back - the covers were tight around my back so I put my hand back there to move the cat - NO cat was there. That happened many times and one time there was even jumping on the bed.

The cigarette smoke happened more and more. It was very annoying when we were re-doing the courtyard. Every night strong cigarette smoke. I was telling my neighbor about it (fearful we now would be known as those looney people who live on the corner). She said Oh, that must be Pat. Pat was a heavy smoker and died in your bedroom. Her pride and joy is the courtyard and I bet she's making sure you do it right and she's probably upset you are doing anything at all to it. This went on for several months - the cigarette smoke.

So, one night I decided to talk to her. I told her that I didn't mind if she was here - she was welcome to stay - but the cigarette smoke was really bothering me and could she please stop smoking - like someone turned off a switch the smoke smell went away. Then I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sense her so I told her that when she was around I wouldn't mind smelling just a few puffs. And that's what happened - I would maybe take one or two breaths, smell it, then it would be gone.

Now, she always did this upstairs. One time my husband and I got into a little "tiff". I was at my computer downstairs and was startled because someone was apprently smoking a cigarette right outside the window I was sitting next to. I ripped the blinds up and no one. I smelled it several times so it had to be Pat. Then I realized that when Michael and I argued Pat would follow me around the house smoking!!! We'd make up and she'd leave me alone.

Then, about 1 1/2 years ago I smelled her constantly for a week. For some reason I sensed that she was saying goodbye. I talked to her, told her we would take care of everything (BTW - we are the first people to own this house outside of the original family who built it in 1916) and she could go now and rest - everything would be ok. I've never smelled cigarette smoke since. Occasionally since then (maybe 3 times) I thought I did but I'm just not sure because it wasn't strong enough to really tell.

We also had a cat "follow" us to our last new house. He died in our apartment and we moved a couple weeks later. Well, my husband and I would always see this graying shadow at the front door thinking it was George (funny how that name keeps coming up, huh?) finally back - but then we would actually turn and look and there would be nothing there. We would both see it at the same time. Sometimes we would see him on the stairs as we rounded the corner to go up. OK, so we moved. A couple neighborhood boys came over and we were all in the kitchen. One of them kept brushing the side of his leg but he never really looked down - but you could tell he was being annoyed by something. He finally said something about our gray cat that kept rubbing his leg - well, we didn't have a cat. So, George apparently moved with us.

My latest "sign" was when I was coming back from Ohio after my sister's funeral. I was so tired I pulled into a rest stop to take a 20-minute nap. When I pulled back out onto the highway I was behind a truck with the initials P.A.M. on the side and back - that's my sister's name who passed away. I got some pictures on my cell phone - I thought it was the coolest thing!!!!!

I also need to add that the night my sister passed away my nephew and I were sharing a room at the hotel - as we had been doing our entire stay. Things were falling off the desk that shouldn't have fallen off - there were very loud creeks at the windows and just a bunch of other noises - all really weird. My nephew turned the light on and said, ok, the light stays on but if I hear one more noise I'm sleeping with you!!!!!!!

Forgot to say - No, I was never frightened and found it quite intriguing! Someone went into our downstairs bathroom one time and I heard her say, Oh, excuse me. She asked me who that was in the bathtub - well, I ran in there - it must have been Pat - washing off all that cigarette smoke lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #28
Executive Chef
And here I was just saying that I hadn't seen anyone in a while....One of them was in my room last night, I think just checking on me. I'm in the process of helping my daughter pack for college and the tears just seem to flow at will. I seem to notice them more when things are unsettled in my life.

I have a large tree branch in the corner of my bedroom. It's strung with lights and has unusual ornaments dangling from the smaller branches. I think the spirit must like it, because that's where all the noise was coming from.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #29
Sous Chef
(((VeraBlue)))I know the feelings of both sending the "baby girls" off to college and the feeling of never being alone.Even though Kier's college is only 1/2 an hour away-she's still not here but, at the same time I know she's also not alone,those who aren't physically here watch her there as they do here.I'll be thinking about you today as you move your daughter into another stage in her life.Love and energy, Vicki
VickiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #30
Head Chef
My mom's side of the family has always been famous for their willpower, and even now I get the feelings sometimes that my mom is trying to tell me things, but the best story involves her dad (my grandfather) shortly after he passed away. He passed away before I was born, but we heard this story several times.

Mom and her two brothers were at the house with grandma getting ready for the wake, which was going to be at the house. Donnie was the oldest, and always a bit of a trouble maker (he had a heart of gold though). Grandpa always drove Cadillacs, and Donnie was always trying to get him to let him take the car, which never happened.

Grandma told Donnie to "Take Daddy's car, go get it washed and come right back" Donnie jumped up and walked through the doorway into the kitchen (the dooor to the backyard was at the very back of the house). There was a cross that was hung over the top of the doorway - it fell down only ONCE the entire time it was hung there - right when Donnie was going to go take Grandpa's Cadillac. Hit him right in the head!

My uncle Hank ended up taking the car to get it washed...

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote