"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
(((VeraBlue)))I know the feelings of both sending the "baby girls" off to college and the feeling of never being alone.Even though Kier's college is only 1/2 an hour away-she's still not here but, at the same time I know she's also not alone,those who aren't physically here watch her there as they do here.I'll be thinking about you today as you move your daughter into another stage in her life.Love and energy, Vicki
Vicki, thank you so very much. My dolly actually isn't going all that far. I'm in northern NJ and she's moving to Manhattan... Even if she was moving next door, things are just not going to be the same. I'm so proud of her, yet I know I'm going to miss her, terribly.

Thank you again for such kind thoughts

Old 08-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #32
Sous Chef

((VeraBlue)) I"m not too far from you- I'm right over the Mahwah border in Rockland-my daughter's school is only in Westchester(SUNY Purchase).Sometimes this small world seems very large!!Love and energy, Vicki

Old 08-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #33
Executive Chef

My sister and I lived in a stone house, at the top of a small mountain right smack in the middle of 25 acres. There was a gravel driveway that led up to the house. We had 3 dogs at the time, a Lab, a Great Dane, a Pekeniese (sp) and a cat.

All this started gradually and maybe that's why we weren't scared or nervous.

We'd be sitting in the living room and hear someone walking on the wooden hallway right behind us. The dogs would all jump up and check it out, everytime.

This house was solid stone and you couldn't hear anything from outside. Our doors/windows would be shut and we'd hear a car on the gravel, people would get out laughing and chatting, we'd hear the car doors slamming shut....our dogs would go nuts, we'd open the door and no one was there. We'd have company and they'd get up to open the door and ask, "Are you expecting someone else?". But when someone did drive up, we'd be surprised when they knocked on the door since we didn't hear a thing...not ever the dogs.

We'd wake up to the sounds of a party in the living room. We'd hear the glasses clinking, the laughing and partying, soft music and muffled voices...of course it stopped when we got out of bed.

We had a huge stone covered porch that was attached to the house/front door. I'd be grilling and my sister would be in the kitchen. We'd meet each other in the living room and say, "What?". We had each heard our names being called and assumed it was each other. We'd heard that alot in the house, many times, and would meet each other 1/2 way.

We'd hear digging in the woods that surrounded the house. We could hear a shovel going into gravely dirt and the dirt being thrown. The dogs would take off and as soon as they hit 'the spot', the digging would move about 100 yards and they'd take off after that noise.

My dad came to visit and although he loved animals, he didn't want to sleep with them and our dogs would be all over the beds at night...moving back and forth between our beds. At bedtime, we made sure the 3 dogs and the cat were all locked in our bedroom. My dad was sleeping in mine. In the morning he woke up and was annoyed that we had left the cat out and she played with his suitcase clasps all night long, in the closet. The cat was with us, of course.

Now that closet gave me problems, too. I'd wake up to shoes being dropped and I could hear the hangers moving around, like someone was taking an outfit out and then putting it back in while sliding the other hangers to make room.

The house was alarmed to the hilt. Someone who lived there before us had even alarmed a closet that she kept her furs in. After we went to bed and the alarm was set, we'd wake up when it would go off in the middle of the night. We'd get up and that closet door would be opened.

Oh oh Oh! I forgot to tell you this, about when we moved in the house. We of course, went from top to bottom making sure everything was secured and cleaned out. We only found one thing in that house, one little bitty tiny thing that seemed to set the mood for living there. In the attic, on one of the 2x4s that supported the house, was an old negative. When we held it up to the light, it was a negative of a room with a coffin in it.

Funny, we were never scared in the house. I stayed there alone on many occasions, at night.

Lots of things have happened to me since then but that house really stands out in my mind, of course.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #34
Executive Chef

PeppA, my other half, and her Mom, both insist that they heard a lady's voice saying something last year. The previous owner's mother had died in the back yard while mowing it. I've never seen or heard anything "odd". PeppA has also insisted that last summer, she heard someone moving some stuff in out "breezeway", a small covered area between the house and our garage. The breezeway is on the other side of our bedroom wall, and the bathroom window is right there as well.

At the country club I work at, years ago, one of the members, "Clyde" died, in the clubhouse. Every now and then, for no reason, something in the kitchen will fall. One of the other cooks (who's been there for 25 years) claims that he has even seen Clyde.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #35
Master Chef

Oh, how fun! I'm going to keep reading this thread. Ironically, I have had others tell me my house is/was haunted, but never really felt it myself. My house was built in 1854, and my guest room is an old servants' room. Three different people have told me I have a ghost! I've slept in that room often, and she's never visited me. One of my most recent guests told me she talked to her, telling her to not bother her, she needed a good night's sleep, and that she complied. I do have "ghost" aromas -- every once in awhile I smell someone walking by with a cigarette. I've never smoked, and my husband hasn't for decades. Our smoking guests always smoke outside, and there are no smoking neighbors on either side. But I grew up in a smoking family, and this is a very distinctive aroma of a fresh cigarette. Then in one part of the house I occasionally smell cedar. I've scratched every piece of wood there is and none of it is cedar, and I don't own a cedar chest. There is no explanation for either scent, they are fresh.

When we were in the military, we lived in quarters that were supposedly haunted. The story was that a military officer married a very much younger bride. He was away often, and she had an affair with a younger man whenever he was out of town. He came home once and caught them, and shot them both. She is said to walk the alley behind the house with a lantern, signalling to her young lover that it was safe to come and visit her. As with my house now, I never saw her. Varina Davis also was said to haunt our house, although I'm not sure why, since she didn't die there. But several people swore that they'd seen her.

The best ghost, though, was one we did know about. Again, we're talking military quarters dating to antebellum days. But consistently everyone who lived in this house had the same tale. Someone lets their pets out at night. The engineers have been to the house consistently in the past 150+ years and never found a way for the animals to get out. But dozens, if not hundreds, of families have lived in that house and had the same problem. They've been awakened by their pets who they KNOW were NOT left outside.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #36
Master Chef

Hey, Robo, I used to live next to Arlington Cemetary. No one ever bothered me, but I would hear "taps" play and break down and cry like a baby.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I was a funeral director and the haunting sounds of taps and the 'echo' taps (from another room) always brought me to tears. Another one is Amazing Grace on the bagpipes....and Danny Boy, oh my.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #38
Executive Chef

I had to post a reply because I tried to edit the previous post and the computer froze up...for the first time, I might add since it's brand new. ooooOOOOooooo, spooky. LOL

At the funeral home, sometimes I wouldn't get out of there until 10 or 11 pm. I'd go through all 4 stories and turn out the lights and lamps.

Many many times after going through my routine, I would be in the parking lot and see a lamp turned on in the office. There was no question about it at all. I had turned it off.

I was never ever able to make myself unlock the doors and go up to the 3rd floor office to turn that lamp off again.

I never saw a spirit at the funeral home but several people did. I could feel the presence of people who had passed but I think that was pretty normal given the history of the house.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #39
Master Chef

My great-great-grandmother was known as a healer. There are many stories about her. She has even been written about and the files are sealed by her church. After she was buried in a small cemetery, her granddaughter went to the grave. She said that as she got near the grave, a big black cloud of smoke came up out of the ground. Needless to say she was very frightened.
Has anyone else ever heard of anything like that?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #40
Head Chef

One time I was driving to work on the freeway, and I noticed what looked like a shadow from a cloud move onto the freeway, then it began traveling very fast down the freeway. I tried to catch it (and I was going about 75 mph, about as fast as my Nissan pickup will go!) but it just pulled away from me. That was wierd!