"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #51
Master Chef

I forgot about the voices Middie........kind of feel stupid when you say to someone else "Did you just say something" or "What"? and they look at you like your having a Linda Blair moment and your heads spinning around.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:44 PM   #52
Sous Chef

I am enjoying all of your experiences and so called hauntings. I am a firm believer in the after life- never so much so than after the passing of my oldest son-too many occurances have happened for me not to believe-too much has happened for it just to be a wishful mother's thinking.Could there be anything more comforting than knowing that those we may have lost in the physical sense are still around us- their spirits- our spirits live on-energy cannot be destroyed it has to go somewhere and apparently love cannot be destroyed either it does live on forever.Thank you all again for sharing and especially to TATTRAT who started this link!!! love and energy, Vicki

Old 08-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #53
Senior Cook

We live in a building that was once a nurses home. It hasn't been built that long, 1969. The previous one had been built by the Americans in the second world war when they built a psych. hospital here for the US forces in the Pacific. The Hospital has been closed now for many years, but the nurses home became a rest home for a few years. It was derelict when we bought it. We turned it into a conference centre. I was sitting in the dining room with my daughter when a saw a fellow walk up the windowed foyer/hallway. He was dressed in a long black coat and a hat with a very straight round brim. He looked Jewish. I glanced at my daughter and she was looking too, but she saw him walking out of the building, not in. We both asked to other at the same time if we had seen him, and checked the highways and byways of the building but nothing was seen. We haven't seen him since.

And there was the Costley ghost. He was supposed to have been a surgeon who hung himself after a 12 year old girl died in surgery. The tree was still there when I did my nursing training, as were the old theatres and wards. He got up to all sorts of mischief. Setting up trolleys, banging the theatre doors, footsteps and so on. The building and tree are gone now. Whether he is gone too I do not know. He hung himself in 1912.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Very interesting thread! I dont live in a haunted house, nor am I seeing spirits here, but I love the topic, I've always found it to be interesting.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:13 AM   #55
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
bump

I had the first "run in" with our resident at the hotel tonight. Kind of eerie...Locking up, getting the orders ready for tomorrow, heard whistling and walking in the banquet hall, went to see who I was about to lock in and there was no one. Called Percy, an employee there for the last 31 years, he said, "no biggie, that was the ghost".

I have had a few experiences and I feel glad that after 3 years the local at the hotel finally made itself known to me.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our house is old. Built in 1880. We are the third family to live in the house. The family who had the house built only lived here for a couple of years. The second family (the Harlans) or descendants lived in the house until 1987. It sat empty for several years and was purchased by a couple who restored it and sold it to us. The first Mr. Harlan died in the living room in the '30s. There's a little history.

About 3 weeks after we moved here, there was a knock at our breakfast room door. It was a little old lady who identified herself as Mary Key Harlan Bodkin. She said she came to see who bought her childhood home. We had a nice visit and as she left she said, "Please take care of the ghost."

Buck and I didn't think much about her statement but we'd felt that we weren't the only ones living in the house. Her comment was more of a confirmation of our suspicions.

Since Mrs. Bodkin's visit, we've seen the ghost several times, as has one of our sons and our two dogs. We've determined that the ghost is an adult because of the size. Although we can't tell if it's male or female. However, we've named the ghost "Harlan."

He/she is usually seen in the spring. Around April/May when the yard is full of flowers. Mrs. Harlan was a well-known gardener and there are literally thousands of daffodils in our one-acre yard.

Harlan seems to stay in the front area of the first floor of the house (there are 3 floors). The entry, living room, hallway and dining room. He opens and closes doors (one of which is hard for me to open), turns lights off and on and moves small rugs.

We think the ghost is that of the first Mr. Harlan who died in the living room in the spring of, I think, 1935. We have learned that his casket was covered with a blanket of daffodils from his yard. Buck and I think that Harlan is usually seen in the spring because that's when he died.

Whatever the case, until he does something that pi**es us off or if he damages some of our antique furniture and light fixtures, we're all going to get along just fine. He seems to be quite harmless and I've been here alone with Harlan when Buck has traveled out of town.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #57
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I do not believe in ghosts. Its not logical to me. Im a person that believes in Jesus and the Bible. Im evangelical.
However I do feel that all these experiences are demon-based. And that the person that is dead has nothing to do with any of this. I feel that demons enjoy having 'fun' with the living.
There is either heaven or heck. No in between. And demonic activity acting as though human is not going to trick me.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #58
Master Chef

I cannot say I believe in ghosts, either .... but I also don't disbelieve. Never met one myself, but can't trash the things that my friends have experienced, either. I also live in a very old house (1854), and have lived in other old houses. Never met a ghost or had a scary experience. I have some house guests who swear that room is haunted, but with a benevolent spirit. Those who believe in her think she's a young girl who was a maid here (it is servants' quarters). There is no history to back this up, and I've slept in that room often and felt nothing. According to some who stay there, she's a bit of a poltergeist. Young enough that she moves things. I think they're just making excuses for misplacing items themselves. But if she lives there, I'm happy to have her. Let's just say for me, the jury is out. If she's a teenager who lived there as a maid, I sure as heck wish she'd do more than turn the vacuum cleaner off and on (yes, it does happen) and move it around while she's at it. I also wish she'd quit having her cigarette smoking boyfriends visit. I don't mind the cedar.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #59
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I do not believe in ghosts. Its not logical to me. Im a person that believes in Jesus and the Bible. Im evangelical.
However I do feel that all these experiences are demon-based. And that the person that is dead has nothing to do with any of this. I feel that demons enjoy having 'fun' with the living.
There is either heaven or heck. No in between. And demonic activity acting as though human is not going to trick me.
I think saying "all these experiences are demon based", is a little much.

Though I respect your opinion, there are to many circumstances and alot of evidence to suggest there is a spirit world, or something.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #60
Master Chef

I think that when you live in old houses or communities, which I do and have in the past, there will always be ghost stories. I, personally, think it is more fun to just enjoy them. Believe or not as you wish, but I honestly DO believe that old buildings have some of the spirit of the people who lived & loved there. I've met 3 or 4 families who have lived here or whose ancestors did. Ditto for our quarters at Fort Monroe and a place we rented in Alexandria, VA. I like to think that if the places aren't exactly haunted, that the love and laughter is still lingering around in the corners, and that somewhere in heaven someone is saying "thank you" for bringing life back to these old buildings. If not a ghost, a kindly spirit will be sitting somewhere in a corner while we celebrate the holidays. I cannot afford a maid to replace poor Brigit (the name given to the ghost a couple of my guests believe in). But I do believe old houses retain some of the personality and spirit of previous residents, even if they don't actually "haunt" it.