Does/Has anyone lived in a haunted house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
Does/Has anyone lived in a "haunted" house.

I have had a few "happenings" that I can't brush off. I also remember from a young age, being able to sense the gravity of certain things/places.

Share your experiences, or thoughts on the paranormal.

P.S. Please don't thinnk I'm crazy or something...to many people already do.:)

Hard to say really. Lots of places are spooky. I remember the old 'Unsolved Mysteries' tv show though, and all the recreations lol

In the mid 70's I lived in an apartment on Newbury Street in Boston that was inhabited by the ghost of a cat named Madison.

He was a very friendly guy. you would feel him brush up against your legs, and if I put a bowl of water out for him, it would empty in a day or two. never put out food, tho. many folks thought I had a cat, but no, just Madison.

I live in a haunted house.. LOL sorry to those who are coming to stay with me.

But they are friendly and the castle in my backyard is haunted..BIG time

I dont like to bother them at all i let them be and let them do their thing!

TATTRAT said:
a few views and no posts....don't be scared.
Those views were from ghosts. They can not post though.

We live with a ghost named George. He likes to turn the oven timer on at 3am.

I grew up in a graveyard...truely, dad was clergy and the house was in the middle of the graveyard. I learned to read by fingering the letters on the tombstones and monuments. Seems I get along with the spirits as I've never been bothered by those who have passed from this life, but I have been aware of their presence.

I won't say haunted....because I've been told the spirits I've seen are my own, supposedly with me all the time. So if I move, so do they..

I've been aware of them for some time, but I don't see them very often, actually haven't for a while.

When I travel, especially to someplace for the first time, I am keenly aware of those who have passed the streets well before me. I actually find it comforting and wish I could actually get a clearer view of the past.

We have friends who live north of here a bit, and we went up for a big Christmas party one year. It's a pretty good drive, so we went prepared to spend the night.
It was great fun, but I don't last as long as I used to, and my back, legs and feet were really hurting after a while, so I excused myself and went upstairs to go to bed. Our hostess went up with me, and showed me into a cozy little room under the eaves, where she tucked me in with homemade quilts.
It felt good to lay down, but the pain was keeping me awake. After a while, I heard footsteps coming up the steep wooden steps, and thought perhaps my husband was coming up to check on me. I called out his name, but got no answer. This happened several times, and finally I got up, opened the bedroom door and stepped out into the hallway.
What I saw was a shimmering golden light that took my breath away. It wasn't only what I saw, but what I felt...an energy that literally made my hair stand on end. I stood frozen for a moment, then, feeling a little frightened, I went back to my room and crawled under the covers. I finally went to sleep, and when I awoke the next morning, the pain had abated, and I felt well rested.
As we were sitting over breakfast, I asked our host if he realized his house was haunted. He said, "So you met Barbara!"
Come to find out, they bought that house after a friend of theirs died. The woman had a teenage daughter, and they promised her that they would keep an eye on the young woman, which they had done.
Thing being, the lady died in a bedroom downstairs. I was sleeping in her daughter's bedroom. Evidentally, she somehow sensed my pain and was coming up the stairs to check on me.

I'm so glad to know there are others out there that are experiencing "strange" happenings that can't be explained. My husband died last Novemeber and when he was receiving the Last Rites, the priest told me not to be surprised if things got moved around in my house or if things happened that had no explanation. He said my husband's spirit could live on. I dismissed it as just folklore of an active imagination on his part because I dont' believe in spirits or ghosts or paranormal happenings. I alwasys felt there was and expanation or that the person experience the act was imagining it. Well I had forgotten what the priest told me until I started having things happen that had absolutely NO logical explanation. A heavy 12 inch round wood framed clock fell from the wall with the hanger still intact, but didn't fall DOWN - it fell out about 10 feet into the living room . Gravity dictates that it should have fallen straight down. It has an octagonal frame so it couldn't roll on carpeting. This was the third in strange happenings, but the one that happened a couple of days ago on my husband's birthday really spooked me out. I got a phone call on my cell phone and when I answered it there was no one there. The number registered on my screen so I pressed "call back" and the operator came on and told me the number was disconnected. This wasn't a working number. How can a disconnected phone call me??? My daughter had one of the experiences on her dad's birthday also and called to tell me she was completely freaked out. She hung a picture on her wall with two other small pictures next to it about 4 inches away from the main picture. When she got home from work she almost dropped!!! One of the small pictures was hung 15 inches from the main picture. NO ONE could possibly have moved it. JUST tooo spooky and no explanation. I'm still having a hard time believing that spirits exist but I'm fast becoming convinced.

Ok here goes-my house is not haunted -but, I know and have verified that the spirit of my oldest son Jymm who passed almost 7 years ago at the age of 18 years old- "visits".He has made his presence known to us on many occassions.His most common way of letting us know he is around is our house will fill with the scent of cigarette smoke and no one here smokes.Right before Dennis graduation he was standing in the livingroom looking out the picture window and became emotional about his brother not being here for the milestones in his life.Dennis was standing nowhere near the piano which has pictures of the my three kids on it-Dennis' picture flew to the floor and then came the smell of cigarettes and Den knew his brother would be here for all his milestones.There are so many other incidents that have occurred but, I will only share them if you would like.

In 1981 after my third child was born we lived in a house that I swear had "something". I would put my infant to bed...go to bed myself...and the next thing I knew the light in his bedroom was on. I would get up and go look. He was fine...so I'd turn off the light. This happened at least 3-4 times. The last time it happened though...when I went to his room...his little arm was stuck underneath his crib mattress! There is no way an infant could do this! Is there? After that there were no more "happenings".

GB said:
Those views were from ghosts. They can not post though.

We live with a ghost named George. He likes to turn the oven timer on at 3am.

The name of my ghost was also George. I have many stories to tell about him. It would take forever. Just one is , I was standing by my book shelf, when all of a sudden, for no reason, a book fell on the floor from the top shelf. No one had touched it. I picked it up and on the inside cover written in pencil was the name George. I still have that page. I had called him George for many years before that happened. I think he was saying hi.
We have since moved and he didn't come with me. As strange as this sounds, I miss him. :rolleyes:

Vicki, my daughter died suddenly when she was 25, leaving behind a 3 year old boy, whom we ended up raising. She was by no means ready to go, and she was here a LOT. She also visited frequently with her younger sister.
It's now been over 13 years since she passed, and the visits have become less frequent, but every now and then something happens that lets us know she's still watching out for her child.

(((Constance))))I cherish every one of the "signs" Jymm sends us and he has been known to make himself known to his friends in times of trouble.There is nothing worse for a parent than losing a child as you and I can both attest to but, there is great comfort and solace in knowing that their spirits still live on.Love and energy to you dear friend,Vicki

I don't believe in ghosts, but I have lived in 2 houses, including this one, that the neighbors said were haunted.

The first, in Indiana, had a ghost named George--like GB's. Allegedly, he pulled the covers off people who were sleeping in one bedroom, and opened the closet door. My son slept in that room, and was never bothered. Of course, all of his life he has slept wrapped in his blanket like a cocoon, so maybe the ghost got discouraged. And Rob never closed a closet door in his life. Poor ghost--must have been frustrating.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

When my ex got a new job and told them we were going to move, my sons were heartbroken. Every time someone came to look at the house with the realtor, the boys would tell the people that the house was haunted. :dry: Didnt' work--somebody bought it and we had to move anyway.

The house that I live in now was built in 1872 and was an orchard for quite some time. A former resident of the house told me the orchard owners had a daughter who got into some poison that was used on the trees, and "died, right out there in the back yard, in that spot where nothing ever grows." They had heard this girl crying in one of the bedrooms, and one of their children had "seen" her.

I talked to the orchard owning family--the incident never happened. The family had several daughters, and all of them lived to have families of their own.

We moved into out stone cottage 3 years ago, we rent it. When the real estate agent took us around, my dh was downstairs and the agent took me into the bedroom. I saw a man sitting on the windowsill "oh hello" I say to him and he just smiled, and then vanished. The poor agent, little slip of a thing, about 23, was so scared, she couldn't really see anything.

I met one of our neighbours who asked me right away "so have you met Bernard yet?"

Bernard leaves the house at 9.30 every morning, comes back at 10. He smells of smoke. the first time it happened and I could smell smoke on the stairwell I yelled at dh for smoking in the house! He said "I know better than to do that!" Occasionally at night Bernard will light up outside the bedroom on top of the stairs and I have to go up and ask him not to.

When we first arrived, he had a little tabby cat (ghost cat) that used to play on the stairs, but when we got our own cat, it disappeared. Bernard loves tormenting our cat!

I later met another neighbour who knew Bernard, she was amazed he's kept to the same routines as a ghost!

I don't really have any ghost stories of my own, but I have some pictures of my son's guardian angel. When he was about 4 months old we took some pictures of him on our dark green futon. The angel is not in all the pics, just 2 of them. Then about a year or so later we took some more pics at Christmas time. We chose one of them to use as a Christmas card. When we got the cards made we noticed the angel was back in the picture. I should scan the pictures sometime.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom