Does the Ice Cream man still come around ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
When my sons were young, we lived in a town in NJ , the ice cream man used to come to our block . I am wondering if the ice cream trucks still come around ringing the bells and the kids go buy ice cream from him. I live in the country , no sidewalks or ice cream trucks.

yeah, all th etime and it drives me nuts with there loud circus music because i start to sing and dance to it. thats when the humiliation starts

Three four times a day, I think there are at least two different trucks that come around. The only thing I don't like is when they come around after dark, too dangerous in my opinion.

They even come around our little back roads here in Mexico - playing THE SAME SONGS that used to drive DH crazy, e.g., Turkey in the Straw, The Entertainer, etc. Isn't that amazing?

yup...could you imagine driving around,. listening to that darn jingle all day!!!!!!!!!!!! it's a wonder you don't hear of the workers going postal...or "ice cream man"

We have one here in Wamego! It never fails, he comes around the ball diamond, while the children under 12 are SUPPOSED to be playing a ballgame.... yeah, quite distracting. They all want to go running off the field to chase it!! hahaha :LOL:

i know how distracting they can be around the ball diamond...last night i was up to bat and one drove right by us! it was hard to concentrate...:LOL:

I haven't seen one in probably 15 years! With the price of gas these days - I doubt they can afford to just drive up and down street after street every day like they used to do. I think my son said they show up out at the ballparks - but they are not allowed to play their music.

I grew up in northern NJ and fondly remember the Good Humor man. If we had a lemonade stand out in front of the house, he'd trade us a glass of our lemonade for any ice cream we wanted.:w00t2:

He came every day. He always came around the same time, too, so you could be prepared. I still live in northern NJ, but don't see any Good Humor trucks any longer. Occasionally, some generic truck will come around, but there is no rhyme nor reason to his trips down my street. The truck doesn't look as wholesome as the Good Humor truck, and the driver is surely not wearing that white outfit and hat.

I see Mr. Softee in front of the Stock Exchange every day, now that it's hot out. I always thought of Mr. Softee as the competition and don't have any loyalty to his confections and treats. Although, the Red Devil:devilish: did have a really cool name....

A full size Good Humor, almost twice the size of what you get in the market today was between a dime and a quarter in the 60s...:huh:

yeah, all th etime and it drives me nuts with there loud circus music because i start to sing and dance to it. thats when the humiliation starts

"sing like no one is listening, and dance like no one is watching" You go, girl!

yup...could you imagine driving around,. listening to that darn jingle all day!!!!!!!!!!!! it's a wonder you don't hear of the workers going postal...or "ice cream man"

I just heard a happy news story about a contest between ice cream truck drivers.... The one with the best skill at ringing the bells, making the best music without a tape recorder won. Pretty nifty..

haven't seen or heard an ice cream man in years. since about 1980 i think.my grandkids and now their children will never know the joy, of buying a popcycle in the heat of summer. how sad. babe

Last edited:
They generally drive 35mph down the street here. By the time we get outside with the kids they are longgone! hahaha

Back
Top Bottom