"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #31
Master Chef

I'd say ours does, since we designed it ourselves. My husband, the engineer, designed the general shape (dutch coop), layed out the electrical, plumbing, etc, and I layed out the interior. We hired a professional house framer, because our design involved a lot of different angles and cantilever stuff, but it really is "our house", and we love it.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I like everyone's place! I just feel best when I know my housework is done!

(what I failed to mention is that my kids are both doing the "beyond-lived-in" look in their rooms. They get good grades, and are nice kids. I give them quite a bit of leeway.)
as long as you can close the door, you don't have to look at it! and hopefully one day they'll get sick of the mess.
Did someone say Pet Hair????? Ms Julia Child Kitty rules this roost, and since the day she came to live here, the house has been renamed "Chez Julia," because it is definitely HER house, and she let's no one forget that.

No matter how hard I try, kitty hair is an ever present "accessory!" might as well laugh, its a fact of life!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgiver
The decor in my home is early attic. Nothing matches. Dear Hubby and I are very laid back people. When you come to visit us you come to visit us, not what we have. We have many ppl come to see what we are up to all the time. One time we moved all the furniture out of the kitchen and living room and put in orange crates. Gosh did we really have fun.
I'm coming to your house, goodgiver, and you can come to mine anytime! I bet my "early shabby" trumps your "early attic".

My dream is to have ocean-front property some day, so I've been saving for that horrendous expense all of my adult life. In the meantime, my total disregard for home decor and material goods is evident in my townhouse. Also, I'm a rather "casual" cleaner.

But, hey, it's presentable, comfortable, and it's very much "home" to me!

Lee
Old 03-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #34
Head Chef

Pet hair relieves me in a home I visit: makes me feel less bad about the stuff I arrive with on my clothes, siamese cats: pale hair shows on dark clothes, the dark hair on pale clothes....you cannot win ;)
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 AM   #35
Head Chef

Absolutely not. I don't think I could manage jkath's level of tidiness, but I would like it significantly tidier than it is... We're moving in the next few weeks, so we're surrounded by boxes. Each room is not much more than a corridor amid stuff piled high on all sides.

But even under normal circumstances, our home reflects my partner's personality. Mess, chaos, disorder, randomness... he claims it helps his creativity. We both work from home. His 'office' has been described by a good friend as an 'indoor garage'. Though you couldn't get a bicycle in there, let alone a car. Even the cats find it a daunting trying to find floor space to walk on.

But you know the weird thing is that in fact he's doing most of the packing. I guess because most of the stuff is actually his. But his packing is so neat and so well ordered. Boxes of just the right size for items swaddled in bubble wrap cut just so. Each box protected at the edges and corners (the number of times I've heard "you could stand that in a puddle and it wouldn't matter" is beyond belief) and... labelled in the neatest handwriting with full details of what's inside. This will be the first time in I don't know how long that I have some idea where things are. Some of these boxes are likely to stay sealed for several years, so it's just as well. But what a strange contrast - total and utter chaos on the one hand and meticulous order on the other!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 AM   #36
Sous Chef

In a way our home is linked to America. We live in a bungalow which was formerly the married quarters for USA Officers.

RAF Sculthorpe Alumni Page

We live very close to all the 'local interest places'

Our home would fit several times into some of yours but it's our 'nest' and we love it.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #37
Hospitality Queen

Snoop - your partner's 'messy here, organized there' sounds like my sister.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #38
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Pet hair relieves me in a home I visit: makes me feel less bad about the stuff I arrive with on my clothes, siamese cats: pale hair shows on dark clothes, the dark hair on pale clothes....you cannot win ;)
lulu, you are welcome in my house ANYTIME. I can furnish all the pet hair you want. LOL. (And FYI, grey fleece or flannel will hide nearly any colour hair. The fleece is particularly forgiving.)
Old 03-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
(And FYI, grey fleece or flannel will hide nearly any colour hair. The fleece is particularly forgiving.)
Been there. Done that. Last night.

I had on a pair of black sweat pants and sat down in the recliner to watch some TV. I was joined by Ashley (my avatar), Miss Augie, Miss Rodeo, Chessie Lou and Tigger. By the end of the evening, I was wearing grey, white and orange shag sweat pants. All part of being owned by a cat.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #40
Senior Cook

I'm laughing looking around about my home! It's a disaster!!!! It seems a whirpool just came in to visit us! I've a 3 years old daughter who always jumps, and runs, and drops whatever she finds! The kitchen is the room she prefers, with all tools to be used for toys...I think that my home reflects my life now: always running and always in a hurry..and always desperatly in disorder!! :-)
But I like it!!! Simona