"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Does your home reflect your personality?

Our neighbours have a home that is very light and elegant in its decor and furniture etc. The wife in this couple is the same, cheerful, elegant and bubbly. Her presence is everywhere , so is her husband's because he just adores her.

Our home is homely, peaceful, plain and cared for with objects treasured by both of us around the place. We are pretty much the same. ( I have a short fuse at times!) BH (Beloved Husband) is a tranquil easy going man. His family treasures are important to him. He is important to me, so I enjoy keeping our home well cared for.
The kitchen is mostly 'my domain' and I do have a need for that to be clean to my standard of clean! We have other friends whose home also reflects their personalities.
How about you?

Old 02-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I would hope that everyone's home would reflect their personalities and tastes. It's impossible to describe my home, but if you based it on my personality, the match would be perfect. Whimsical, magical, playful, mysterious....that about sums it up.

On the other hand, my mother in laws home was decorated by a professional decorator. With the exception of a few pieces that were in the family, nothing reflected my mother in laws personality...so as a result, I never really knew the woman. You learn about a person when you can see the things that make them smile. When it's just a collection of things that look good together, that tells you nothing.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
If our flat is to be expressed in a few words, "chaos and disorder"... is that me as well!!?

Well... our flat is extremely small and "the stuff" we have is now totally exceeding the saturation point which the available space allows... let's see what comes out when we move to our new flat which is almost 3 times bigger...
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
Head Chef

one of the reasons I find it har to settle in rented is the restrictions one has in personalising! The first home I bought was a very very old cottage, completely irregular in shape with lots of rooms and even thought was small it was possible to get lost in it, and because it was t shaped the rooms were private and held their own light and personality.. I have been doodling the same house in the margins of my notes through school, university and adult life, I hope one day I get the oppertunity to buil it. Even in rented I have to replace with my own curtains, in this case saris as they are easy to hang and transport internationally and can be styled to fit any window.

I strongly believe that we are influenced by what is around us. My b-i-l has a lot of imo negative imagery in posters in his rooms, and has anger control issues and depression. I might occasionally listen to the same sort of music and watch the films etc, but I much prefer to surround my self with things that make me smile, and happy and that I believe to be beautiful. In the same way, one of the main things I love about DH is he inspires me to be a better and happier person: whereever I live the decor will have to match him because he is a fixture, lol.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Iam pretty much a laid back person, easy going wearing earth colors, my home reflects the same, browns, dark blues, and wine colors. No bright colors, which I do not wear either. Lots of warm oak trim, mini blinds. Pictures of family on the mantle, anyone could come in here, lay on the couch an take a nap !
Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
If our flat is to be expressed in a few words, "chaos and disorder"... is that me as well!!?

Well... our flat is extremely small and "the stuff" we have is now totally exceeding the saturation point which the available space allows... let's see what comes out when we move to our new flat which is almost 3 times bigger...

You still won't have enough space every extra cupboard I've ever had I've managed to fill and need more!!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Where I live now is the first place I have ever owned, so, altho I always made every apartment my own, one way or another, that was nothing in comparison to what is happening now in my beautiful apartment. There are no longer any white walls in my place. Every room is either warm or restful. I am having such fun decorating it to be my little piece of France in Jersey City... altho I can't wait to be finished, operating on a budget means "finished" will not be next week, or even next month. It's fun to anticipate each new piece.

I inherited a wonderful Art Deco chair from my folks that was very much in need of tlc. Monday the upholsterer picked it up and I am so excited because when it comes back it will be red silk embroidered with gold bees! That's the latest change. Then, a good friend who is a decorator is making me an ottoman of the same red silk with bees fabric!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csalt
You still won't have enough space every extra cupboard I've ever had I've managed to fill and need more!!
You are such a prophet Csalt... I was fearing just the same thing!!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Yes and No,

you can easily tell there are 2 Very different adults living here (and a child).
My side of the bed(room) wouldn`t take a Genius to work out, it`s all very neat and tidy, Zero Clutter and purely functional.

the rest of the house is a combo of us both, but my array of book shelves would give me away also.

my Lab is where it`s really at, there`s no guesswork involved there :)
Everything has a Place, and I can go grab almost anything in there even if blindfolded.
it only gets a mention in here because I spend a good 12 hours a day here, and at home 8 of the remaining 12 are spent asleep.

happily it`s an Annex to the house so I can still do all my cooking duties without issue :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
Head Chef

I think the very fact you lab is an annex to the house speaks volumes YT!