Does your home reflect your personality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
Our neighbours have a home that is very light and elegant in its decor and furniture etc. The wife in this couple is the same, cheerful, elegant and bubbly. Her presence is everywhere , so is her husband's because he just adores her.

Our home is homely, peaceful, plain and cared for with objects treasured by both of us around the place. We are pretty much the same. ( I have a short fuse at times!) BH (Beloved Husband) is a tranquil easy going man. His family treasures are important to him. He is important to me, so I enjoy keeping our home well cared for.
The kitchen is mostly 'my domain' and I do have a need for that to be clean to my standard of clean!:) We have other friends whose home also reflects their personalities.
How about you?

I would hope that everyone's home would reflect their personalities and tastes. It's impossible to describe my home, but if you based it on my personality, the match would be perfect. Whimsical, magical, playful, mysterious....that about sums it up.

On the other hand, my mother in laws home was decorated by a professional decorator. With the exception of a few pieces that were in the family, nothing reflected my mother in laws personality...so as a result, I never really knew the woman. You learn about a person when you can see the things that make them smile. When it's just a collection of things that look good together, that tells you nothing.

If our flat is to be expressed in a few words, "chaos and disorder"... is that me as well!!?:wacko: :ohmy:

Well... our flat is extremely small and "the stuff" we have is now totally exceeding the saturation point which the available space allows... let's see what comes out when we move to our new flat which is almost 3 times bigger...:cool:

one of the reasons I find it har to settle in rented is the restrictions one has in personalising! The first home I bought was a very very old cottage, completely irregular in shape with lots of rooms and even thought was small it was possible to get lost in it, and because it was t shaped the rooms were private and held their own light and personality.. I have been doodling the same house in the margins of my notes through school, university and adult life, I hope one day I get the oppertunity to buil it. Even in rented I have to replace with my own curtains, in this case saris as they are easy to hang and transport internationally and can be styled to fit any window.

I strongly believe that we are influenced by what is around us. My b-i-l has a lot of imo negative imagery in posters in his rooms, and has anger control issues and depression. I might occasionally listen to the same sort of music and watch the films etc, but I much prefer to surround my self with things that make me smile, and happy and that I believe to be beautiful. In the same way, one of the main things I love about DH is he inspires me to be a better and happier person: whereever I live the decor will have to match him because he is a fixture, lol.

Last edited:
Iam pretty much a laid back person, easy going wearing earth colors, my home reflects the same, browns, dark blues, and wine colors. No bright colors, which I do not wear either. Lots of warm oak trim, mini blinds. Pictures of family on the mantle, anyone could come in here, lay on the couch an take a nap !

urmaniac13 said:
If our flat is to be expressed in a few words, "chaos and disorder"... is that me as well!!?:wacko: :ohmy:

Well... our flat is extremely small and "the stuff" we have is now totally exceeding the saturation point which the available space allows... let's see what comes out when we move to our new flat which is almost 3 times bigger...:cool:

You still won't have enough space:LOL: every extra cupboard I've ever had I've managed to fill and need more!!:rolleyes:

Where I live now is the first place I have ever owned, so, altho I always made every apartment my own, one way or another, that was nothing in comparison to what is happening now in my beautiful apartment. There are no longer any white walls in my place. Every room is either warm or restful. I am having such fun decorating it to be my little piece of France in Jersey City... altho I can't wait to be finished, operating on a budget means "finished" will not be next week, or even next month. It's fun to anticipate each new piece.

I inherited a wonderful Art Deco chair from my folks that was very much in need of tlc. Monday the upholsterer picked it up and I am so excited because when it comes back it will be red silk embroidered with gold bees! :D That's the latest change. Then, a good friend who is a decorator is making me an ottoman of the same red silk with bees fabric!

csalt said:
You still won't have enough space:LOL: every extra cupboard I've ever had I've managed to fill and need more!!:rolleyes:

You are such a prophet Csalt... I was fearing just the same thing!!

Yes and No,

you can easily tell there are 2 Very different adults living here (and a child).
My side of the bed(room) wouldn`t take a Genius to work out, it`s all very neat and tidy, Zero Clutter and purely functional.

the rest of the house is a combo of us both, but my array of book shelves would give me away also.

my Lab is where it`s really at, there`s no guesswork involved there :)
Everything has a Place, and I can go grab almost anything in there even if blindfolded.
it only gets a mention in here because I spend a good 12 hours a day here, and at home 8 of the remaining 12 are spent asleep.

happily it`s an Annex to the house so I can still do all my cooking duties without issue :)

I think the very fact you lab is an annex to the house speaks volumes YT!

well it`s Safer that way, and I get Zero Interferance shall we say :)

although it`s only door is from inside the house, that suits me, it`s still a NO-GO area :)
it`s a Skywalk building, so only held up at 2 ends (less noise that way).

Mine Mine Mine I tell you!!!!! :)

Last edited:
What a cool thread! I'm almost afraid to answer this one because it will reveal so much about me! ;)

YT, your description of your bedroom made me laugh. Its like you were describing my room. Ken's side is orderly and neat, and my night table makes him cringe. There are books piled high all over it and around it. Neat IMO, but not his. LOL.

ChefJune, we don't have any white walls left either. I noticed a while ago that every bedroom is painted a different shade of blue. The girls each picked an ocean colour. (One has Spongebob decor, and the other an undersea/dolphin motif). Our bedroom colour was matched from a photo of us on a catamaran on our honeymoon. Sigh, I loved that trip. The living areas of the house are different earth tones. The kitchen (which you can see on the Kitchen thread) is a creamy colour with a hint of peach in it to go with the swirls in my floor tiles. The living room and hallway are Monroe Bisque (love that name) which is a bit darker. And the basement is a dark gold with navy accents.

As to the decor, well I guess you could call it "comfortable". I grew up in a place where it was OK to put your feet up and thats how I want people to feel when they come in. Kick off your shoes, let me get you a drink and some munchies and snuggle down on the couch so we can chat. Its always a bit untidy, and there is pet hair everywhere despite my best efforts, but you can feel the love and peace in our house and thats just how I like it.

I love this thread! Alix - I love the idea of colormatching from your trip! WOW!

My home is still a work in progress, but with the rooms that are pretty much done, they reflect us! My formal living room is a beautiful pale aqua ...well, here - you can see it:

img_408500_0_ad35d8e82d1479595a63afce09b48200.jpg

My office upstairs is a match to the living room as well.

My kitchen and family room is the color of when the sunshine hits a pale wall. It's warm and sunny, more casual. Black couches with chocolate accents, and pine wood. The bar is near there too, and it's coordinating as well.

My bedroom's got black iron furniture (kinda swirly), white trim and deep red linens. We're thinking of changing them out to white and painting the walls the deep red instead. (The walls are 16' high, so I'm kind of putting it off!) The fireplace is old brick, but I'd like to put a white mantle over it.

I like to have everything organized and in it's place. The only exception is my stack of paperwork on one of the office tables. It's always there!

I like everyone's place! I just feel best when I know my housework is done!

(what I failed to mention is that my kids are both doing the "beyond-lived-in" look in their rooms. They get good grades, and are nice kids. I give them quite a bit of leeway.)

Does my home reflect my personality? Very interesting question!
Never thought about it.
Or maybe does my home reflect my life?
Are they the same?

Have to think about this...Maybe drink some bourbon tonight and ponder these questions..

Very beautiful living/dining room Miss Jkath...elegant, refined, very graceful..I approve!

Last edited:
the entire Footprint of our house would fit inside her one room!

and I`m NOT joking!

*sigh*

jkath, that is real elegance, we coiuldn't hold a candle to it!!

http://Come into the garden instead :)

Back
Top Bottom