"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I do almost all the cooking but it is our kitchen and we both claim ownership...

It's HIS garage until it's time to clean it and then it becomes OURS. How does that work??

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #12
Head Chef
This is too funny. My dh had some time off and decided, of all places, to rearrange things in the kitchen, a place that is like a foreign planet to him. I suggested that he wouldn't like it at all if I did that to his "area"

elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
Head Chef
My hubby would never EVER rearrange stuff in the kitchen. We lived in this house for 2 years before he even turned the stove on (I was working late that night and he decided he would suprise me by making tacos - it was a suprise all right, its a wonder he didn't burn the house down). My hubby is very good at washing up and loading the dishwasher but he knows better than to mess with my gear.

Katie, you were very lucky. I think it would be wonderful to havea partner who helped in the kitchen (and actually understood the concept of cooking!).
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Okay, after reading this, I think I'm happy I'm single and my kitchen is MINE. :)
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Senior Cook
You post reminded me of a fight my hubby and I had a few month back. I was making nougat -- a bit complicated and a lot of work -- and there he was, sitting back and watching the show. After it was all done and in the pan he-who-can't-boil-water offered me TIPS on how to make it "more efficiently" and "easier".

I was so mad. (lol)
whole milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #16
Master Chef
The kitchen is mine. The garage (with the exception of the area immediately in front of the deep freeze) is his. I don't mess with his stuff, he don't mess with mine. The only "stuff" my guy messes with in the kitchen are the elcetrical things like a broken oven, nonworking garbage disposal, replacing the dishwasher etc, so that I can keep him well fed! Sometimes the kids will unload the dishwasher and then I may have to search a bit for somethings but on the whole, they know not to rearrange things.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #17
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I do not think this exact scenario could happen to me (hopefully), because I would not attempt retaliation (mixing up the tape). When DW and I got together, I cooked, but, not iwht the intensity, n or the creativity that I do now. For that reason, she "built" the kitchen to her liking. I am now doing mot all of the cooking and love it. I have started "making the kitchen mine". I am not getting a lot of resistance or trouble.

All that said DW has no problem rearranging se she sees fit and it is not my favorite. The garage - well it needs a lot of help that it has not gotten in a while. Not an issue there, except she tells me that she is going ot organize it someday. snicker

One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
Master Chef
The wife did that to me, once! LOL. After listening to me spend several days searching for things I needed every time I went to cook, she learned her lesson and never moved stuff around again.
Now if I can just get her to quit hanging over my shoulder when I am cooking, nothing as disrupting as turning around to get something and there she is between me and what I need...
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Head Chef
I've had to laugh lately at my parents: my mom (the total cook, cleaner, organizer, bed maker, etc.) had a total hip replacement in October. She's been recouping for the last couple of months...and in the mean time, Dad tried his best to help out. Uh.......he did the (cough, cough) cooking, feeding the dog, surface cleaning in the house. I checked in daily - but didn't want to intrude if it wasn't necessary. Dad did a lot of changing in the kitchen - "more efficient...convenient". Needless to say, it hurried my mom's health progress! She couldn't wait to get back in charge of "her kitchen!" We're funny, aren't we about our "space."
Practice random acts of kindness.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #20
Head Chef
DH would NEVER presume to move anything in my kitchen. I am a bit obsessive about being able to reach for the right tool and find it right where I put it away. Which brings me to Rufina, the dear young woman who cleans house for me twice a week. I resisted hiring a housekeeper for more than two years, but it leaves so much more time to paint. She is a lively and intelligent young woman, but doesn't speak any English at all. My Spanish sometimes just doesn't cover "please don't put the lemon zester there," or "where the heck is my can opener?" She apparently thinks the way we arrange things is not always appropriiate and moves things around. At first, if I left a book in the bathroom, she would put in back in the bookcase. I have managed to communicate the importance of having a book in the bathroom, but it has become a running joke in our house, i.e., "Rufina hid my_______!" My Spanish is improving, and eventually I'll be able to share the joke with her.

Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote