Does your husband have a death wish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snack_pack85

Washing Up
My husband, who is a sweet, kind, and wonderful man, decides to help me out in the kitchen every once in a while. I am very grateful to have such a helpful and considerate mate....but....this is MY kitchen we're talking about. I LIVE in there.

I can appreciate running the dish washer for me, or clearing the plates from the table or packing up the left overs and setting them in the fridge. Taking out the trash, maybe sweeping the floor or wiping the counters clean, thats all great. But the other day he came into the kitchen and decided to move some stuff around the the drawers.:huh: He decided that we didn't need some gadgets, or that this fit better here and that looked better there.

I was chewing my nails right down to the nubs and he thought it was hilarious....until....:innocent:

I went into his gargage locked the doors so he couldn't come in and moved ALL of his tape (duct tape, masking tape, scotch tape, painters tape) to various and hard to reach places of HIS garage. I calmly walked back into the kitchen with a huge smirk on my face and said "figure it out". I do think that will be the last time my husband will be moving my spatulas around! ;)

Appropriate "gotcha," snack. However, I never had the kind of experience you describe. I was lucky, in that Buck and I worked like a well-oiled machine in the kitchen. Some of our best times were spent creating dishes together. He was an awesome cook on his own and, together, we were quite a team. Maybe our secret was the number of years we spent in the kitchen together, 32.

My dad never would have touched my mom's kitchen like that. Even after she died he didn't move stuff around AND when he moved to PA, he put every thing in almost the exact spots they were in in California. That was before SHE moved in. SHE (my father's "woman") moved things around but when I'm up there, I actually move them back.

I think your "revenge" is great. I'm going to keep that one handy.

My husband, who is a sweet, kind, and wonderful man, decides to help me out in the kitchen every once in a while. I am very grateful to have such a helpful and considerate mate....but....this is MY kitchen we're talking about. I LIVE in there.

I can appreciate running the dish washer for me, or clearing the plates from the table or packing up the left overs and setting them in the fridge. Taking out the trash, maybe sweeping the floor or wiping the counters clean, thats all great. But the other day he came into the kitchen and decided to move some stuff around the the drawers.:huh: He decided that we didn't need some gadgets, or that this fit better here and that looked better there.

I was chewing my nails right down to the nubs and he thought it was hilarious....until....:innocent:

I went into his gargage locked the doors so he couldn't come in and moved ALL of his tape (duct tape, masking tape, scotch tape, painters tape) to various and hard to reach places of HIS garage. I calmly walked back into the kitchen with a huge smirk on my face and said "figure it out". I do think that will be the last time my husband will be moving my spatulas around! ;)

You are kidding, right?

Appropriate "gotcha," snack. However, I never had the kind of experience you describe. I was lucky, in that Buck and I worked like a well-oiled machine in the kitchen. Some of our best times were spent creating dishes together. He was an awesome cook on his own and, together, we were quite a team. Maybe our secret was the number of years we spent in the kitchen together, 32.

WOW 32 years, thats very sweet! Well you were quite lucky indeed because Michael and I cannot be in the same kitchen with each other for more than five seconds before we're screaming at each other.:LOL:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that our kitchens have always been so small where we've lived. Before at our condo we literally had the space of a small linen closet for a kitchen and now we basically have a large hallway. If it were bigger than maybe we'd work better together. Also Mike isn't much of a cook, he makes several amazing salads and his eggs are amazing but other than that he doesn't cook very often.

WOW 32 years, thats very sweet! Well you were quite lucky indeed because Michael and I cannot be in the same kitchen with each other for more than five seconds before we're screaming at each other.:LOL:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that our kitchens have always been so small where we've lived. Before at our condo we literally had the space of a small linen closet for a kitchen and now we basically have a large hallway. If it were bigger than maybe we'd work better together. Also Mike isn't much of a cook, he makes several amazing salads and his eggs are amazing but other than that he doesn't cook very often.

Don't know whether the size of the kitchen has any impact on how you do together. Most of our kitchens could be termed "one-butt" kitchens. Practically had to leave the room to change our mind in one of them. The current one is hilarious it's so impractical.

Errrr-being a bit sexist arent you SP? (just teasing!!) In our house, the kitchen, as well as the garage are my domain!! And yes. I don't care for it when my "stuff" is messed with!!

Mrs does cook occasionally (her beef tenderloin on New Years day was to die for!!!) but out of respect, she doesn't use my knives, my cookware, etc. She could, and it wouldn't be an issue, but I really appreciate the fact that she doesn't out of respect!

But a death wish? (I realize it was tongue in cheek) Nah...we both enjoy life too much!!!

I do almost all the cooking but it is our kitchen and we both claim ownership...

It's HIS garage until it's time to clean it and then it becomes OURS. How does that work??

This is too funny. My dh had some time off and decided, of all places, to rearrange things in the kitchen, a place that is like a foreign planet to him. I suggested that he wouldn't like it at all if I did that to his "area"

My hubby would never EVER rearrange stuff in the kitchen. We lived in this house for 2 years before he even turned the stove on (I was working late that night and he decided he would suprise me by making tacos - it was a suprise all right, its a wonder he didn't burn the house down). My hubby is very good at washing up and loading the dishwasher but he knows better than to mess with my gear.

Katie, you were very lucky. I think it would be wonderful to havea partner who helped in the kitchen (and actually understood the concept of cooking!).

You post reminded me of a fight my hubby and I had a few month back. I was making nougat -- a bit complicated and a lot of work -- and there he was, sitting back and watching the show. After it was all done and in the pan he-who-can't-boil-water offered me TIPS on how to make it "more efficiently" and "easier".

I was so mad. (lol)

The kitchen is mine. The garage (with the exception of the area immediately in front of the deep freeze) is his. I don't mess with his stuff, he don't mess with mine. The only "stuff" my guy messes with in the kitchen are the elcetrical things like a broken oven, nonworking garbage disposal, replacing the dishwasher etc, so that I can keep him well fed! Sometimes the kids will unload the dishwasher and then I may have to search a bit for somethings but on the whole, they know not to rearrange things.

I do not think this exact scenario could happen to me (hopefully), because I would not attempt retaliation (mixing up the tape). When DW and I got together, I cooked, but, not iwht the intensity, n or the creativity that I do now. For that reason, she "built" the kitchen to her liking. I am now doing mot all of the cooking and love it. I have started "making the kitchen mine". I am not getting a lot of resistance or trouble.

All that said DW has no problem rearranging se she sees fit and it is not my favorite. The garage - well it needs a lot of help that it has not gotten in a while. Not an issue there, except she tells me that she is going ot organize it someday. snicker

AC

The wife did that to me, once! LOL. After listening to me spend several days searching for things I needed every time I went to cook, she learned her lesson and never moved stuff around again.:LOL:
Now if I can just get her to quit hanging over my shoulder when I am cooking, nothing as disrupting as turning around to get something and there she is between me and what I need...:glare:

I've had to laugh lately at my parents: my mom (the total cook, cleaner, organizer, bed maker, etc.) had a total hip replacement in October. She's been recouping for the last couple of months...and in the mean time, Dad tried his best to help out. Uh.......he did the (cough, cough) cooking, feeding the dog, surface cleaning in the house. I checked in daily - but didn't want to intrude if it wasn't necessary. Dad did a lot of changing in the kitchen - "more efficient...convenient". Needless to say, it hurried my mom's health progress! She couldn't wait to get back in charge of "her kitchen!" We're funny, aren't we about our "space." :LOL:

DH would NEVER presume to move anything in my kitchen. I am a bit obsessive about being able to reach for the right tool and find it right where I put it away. Which brings me to Rufina, the dear young woman who cleans house for me twice a week. I resisted hiring a housekeeper for more than two years, but it leaves so much more time to paint. She is a lively and intelligent young woman, but doesn't speak any English at all. My Spanish sometimes just doesn't cover "please don't put the lemon zester there," or "where the heck is my can opener?" She apparently thinks the way we arrange things is not always appropriiate and moves things around. At first, if I left a book in the bathroom, she would put in back in the bookcase. I have managed to communicate the importance of having a book in the bathroom, but it has become a running joke in our house, i.e., "Rufina hid my_______!" My Spanish is improving, and eventually I'll be able to share the joke with her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom