"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Wink Does your husband have a death wish?

My husband, who is a sweet, kind, and wonderful man, decides to help me out in the kitchen every once in a while. I am very grateful to have such a helpful and considerate mate....but....this is MY kitchen we're talking about. I LIVE in there.

I can appreciate running the dish washer for me, or clearing the plates from the table or packing up the left overs and setting them in the fridge. Taking out the trash, maybe sweeping the floor or wiping the counters clean, thats all great. But the other day he came into the kitchen and decided to move some stuff around the the drawers. He decided that we didn't need some gadgets, or that this fit better here and that looked better there.

I was chewing my nails right down to the nubs and he thought it was hilarious....until....

I went into his gargage locked the doors so he couldn't come in and moved ALL of his tape (duct tape, masking tape, scotch tape, painters tape) to various and hard to reach places of HIS garage. I calmly walked back into the kitchen with a huge smirk on my face and said "figure it out". I do think that will be the last time my husband will be moving my spatulas around!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Head Chef

Way to Go!

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Appropriate "gotcha," snack. However, I never had the kind of experience you describe. I was lucky, in that Buck and I worked like a well-oiled machine in the kitchen. Some of our best times were spent creating dishes together. He was an awesome cook on his own and, together, we were quite a team. Maybe our secret was the number of years we spent in the kitchen together, 32.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My dad never would have touched my mom's kitchen like that. Even after she died he didn't move stuff around AND when he moved to PA, he put every thing in almost the exact spots they were in in California. That was before SHE moved in. SHE (my father's "woman") moved things around but when I'm up there, I actually move them back.

I think your "revenge" is great. I'm going to keep that one handy.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

My hubby does the same thing !
Old 01-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
My husband, who is a sweet, kind, and wonderful man, decides to help me out in the kitchen every once in a while. I am very grateful to have such a helpful and considerate mate....but....this is MY kitchen we're talking about. I LIVE in there.

I can appreciate running the dish washer for me, or clearing the plates from the table or packing up the left overs and setting them in the fridge. Taking out the trash, maybe sweeping the floor or wiping the counters clean, thats all great. But the other day he came into the kitchen and decided to move some stuff around the the drawers. He decided that we didn't need some gadgets, or that this fit better here and that looked better there.

I was chewing my nails right down to the nubs and he thought it was hilarious....until....

I went into his gargage locked the doors so he couldn't come in and moved ALL of his tape (duct tape, masking tape, scotch tape, painters tape) to various and hard to reach places of HIS garage. I calmly walked back into the kitchen with a huge smirk on my face and said "figure it out". I do think that will be the last time my husband will be moving my spatulas around!

You are kidding, right?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Kidding about which part? The title? Yes...that is obviously a joke.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Appropriate "gotcha," snack. However, I never had the kind of experience you describe. I was lucky, in that Buck and I worked like a well-oiled machine in the kitchen. Some of our best times were spent creating dishes together. He was an awesome cook on his own and, together, we were quite a team. Maybe our secret was the number of years we spent in the kitchen together, 32.
WOW 32 years, thats very sweet! Well you were quite lucky indeed because Michael and I cannot be in the same kitchen with each other for more than five seconds before we're screaming at each other.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that our kitchens have always been so small where we've lived. Before at our condo we literally had the space of a small linen closet for a kitchen and now we basically have a large hallway. If it were bigger than maybe we'd work better together. Also Mike isn't much of a cook, he makes several amazing salads and his eggs are amazing but other than that he doesn't cook very often.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
WOW 32 years, thats very sweet! Well you were quite lucky indeed because Michael and I cannot be in the same kitchen with each other for more than five seconds before we're screaming at each other.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that our kitchens have always been so small where we've lived. Before at our condo we literally had the space of a small linen closet for a kitchen and now we basically have a large hallway. If it were bigger than maybe we'd work better together. Also Mike isn't much of a cook, he makes several amazing salads and his eggs are amazing but other than that he doesn't cook very often.
Don't know whether the size of the kitchen has any impact on how you do together. Most of our kitchens could be termed "one-butt" kitchens. Practically had to leave the room to change our mind in one of them. The current one is hilarious it's so impractical.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Errrr-being a bit sexist arent you SP? (just teasing!!) In our house, the kitchen, as well as the garage are my domain!! And yes. I don't care for it when my "stuff" is messed with!!

Mrs does cook occasionally (her beef tenderloin on New Years day was to die for!!!) but out of respect, she doesn't use my knives, my cookware, etc. She could, and it wouldn't be an issue, but I really appreciate the fact that she doesn't out of respect!

But a death wish? (I realize it was tongue in cheek) Nah...we both enjoy life too much!!!