Does your other half go grocery shopping with you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. I spend an hour getting a few things, dreaming of the possibilities I go.

DW gets it done with extreme prejudice.

"Move it, move it! Get the lunchmeat and report back here ASAP, maggot!" is often my orders when we go together.

So I go alone, and plan great things...

and sometimes cook them. Well, good enough to eat, anyway.

Spike picks me up at 7:30 a.m. and we head off. I already have the grocery list cut in half. I go over his half while we are on our way. Market Basket where I shop is HUGE. So he takes one half and I the other. Otherwise even using the electric cart, it could easily take me two or more hours to cover the whole store. I skip the two ethnic aisles. Even the signs are in Spanish. Fine by me.

Unfortunately, I go to the aisle that has all the dairy products. But because the half and half along with the gallon of milk, are too heavy for my hands to pick up, he gets them first.

We usually head for checkout #6. I don't know why, but that always has the shortest line. Home by 9:00, he gets the big shopping cart inside the trash room and loads up from the car. I head upstairs and make sure there is room for the cart to get in and near to the kitchen as possible. He unpacks and puts all the groceries away. I stay out of his way. I would only be a hindrance.

He keeps my food stamps card, and throughout the month will notice I need something. He will pick it up for me. I tell you, that kid is better than having a husband. The hardest part of shopping for me is making up the list.

I generally shop alone. The times when DH is with me, he will skedaddle off to the magazines and browse through them while I shop. He doesn't cook or plan meals so it's all on me to plan, shop and cook. He will go and pick up stuff if I need it or will stop for something on the way from work if I ask. I find it humorous that when I shop, I tend to go for generic, off-brand things but he buys name brand all the time. He's the penny pincher too! If I send him out while I'm cooking, I make sure I have specifics written down for him (2 cans Hunts petite diced tomatoes 16 oz.) or he'll come home with something totally off. When we go to Sam's Club, generally we go in different directions. He'll get the non-food items while I get the grocery things.

I think Whiska's idea of having separate shopping carts on our thrice-yearly forays to Costco is brilliant. That way DH can pick out wine, cheese, browse the menswear at his leisure, and I can get food, cosmetics, and other important stuff. I'll just have to check his phone to make sure he has it turned on.

My ex was notorious for wandering off, and this was before cell phones. If I couldn't find him after a certain amount of time, I'd check the courtesy desk to see if someone turned him in. :LOL: If not, I'd have him paged. He used to hate that. :D

Things have changed - now when I go shopping with my daughters, it's me who wanders off. haha

Last edited:
Mine wasnt with me today so I bought Easter candy 1½ kilo and then ate some on the way home, oh yeah I had a hot dog too. He miss all those treats when he isnt with me.

My ex was notorious for wandering off, and this was before cell phones. If I couldn't find him after a certain amount of time, I'd check the courtesy desk to see if someone turned him in. :LOL: If not, I'd have him paged. He used to hate that. :D

Things have changed - now when I go shopping with my daughters, it's me who wanders off. haha

We were in AZ visiting my dad years ago. Dad's place was across a field to a Walmart. DH and I walked there while it was light out. Then he left, without bothering to tell me. I had him paged at least 6 times. OK, fine. Now it was dark, and I had to navigate the field, in the middle of the desert, and my night vision sucks. Pitch black, no guiding lights. Let me tell you, hell had no fury like mine.

Last edited:
For the most part I do the shopping. When possible, like on the weekends, I will wait for DH to accompany me. Being a small town; 6000 population, and DH living here most of his life, it is a social event for him to go.

Mine wasnt with me today so I bought Easter candy 1½ kilo and then ate some on the way home, oh yeah I had a hot dog too. He miss all those treats when he isnt with me.

It is time for Easter Peeps. My downfall in this world. I have always loved them. I have a friend who every year buys a package for me. Last year my son told her I simply can not eat Peeps. I am a diabetic. So she bought me a big stuffed on instead.

We were in AZ visiting my dad years ago. Dad's place was across a field to a Walmart. DH and I walked there while it was light out. Then he left, without bothering to tell me. I had him paged at least 6 times. OK, fine. Now it was dark, and I had to navigate the field, in the middle of the desert, and my night vision sucks. Pitch black, no guiding lights. Let me tell you, hell had no fury like mine.

:ohmy::mad: Oh man....I'd have been fit to be tied, too!

Last year a candy company tried to get us to eat Peeps, they taste weird to us and they had a lot left, this year they have made a Swedish version named Foamy / weird/ Shady hens , yeah Swedish is weird language. Taste really yummy.

My sister and I always have had different interests in life. Anytime we would go to BJ's, we would agree to meet at a certain time while we wandered our own way. But I still prefer to shop alone. I don't like having pressure on me to hurry while shopping. I read labels, front and back. That takes time.

I lost Shrek in Wal-Mart one trip. It was totally possible he had wandered out of the store, forgetting where he was. Scared me to death. Finally found him in the automotive aisle, after searching the whole store from front to back. I have him wear neon t-shirts so I can see him easily. I also had a bracelet made for him with his name, address, telephone, my parents telephone and police chief numbers.

It is just me and psycho-poodle. He used to go with me to Pet's Mart, until he pooped on the floor. Pet's Mart is cool about that. Kroger, I'm guessing, not so much.

When I was married, my wife and I often went grocery shopping together. No problems. We actually rather enjoyed it.

Now, if I needed some "alone time," all I had to do is go to Home Depot or Lowe's. She hated those places. Then again, I couldn't handle clothes shopping with her -- especially if shoes were involved.

CD

In my family I do more of the shopping and cooking than my wife does. Yes, she sometimes goes with me. Sometimes I go by myself. She has no interest in cooking beyond TV dinners, frozen pizzas, cereal, and bologna sandwiches. I think this is why I got started cooking.

Back
Top Bottom