Dog Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
It seems to be taking me too long to get another dog! My dog is so alone when I leave to go anywhere. Constantly on my mind. I am looking but not too much as I could go to more shelters or websites than I do. I thank you all for understanding and making me feel better.

I wrote a vet in our paper and he responed to my dilimma by telling me to euthanise the dog. No dog should live in fear he said. Even though I made suggestion of another dog he told me to put him down. Here I am again feeling depressed about it. As you all have advised me to find another one. He is deaf and going blind but I don't think this is something that we both can't live with. If he can't make it to go outside I don't think I would want to be here either. What a way to start the day! My own vet has never really advised me to put a dog down. I imagine he feels the owner knows when it is time. Wonder how many people do what he says? He is all of the country not just here in Missouri.

I am grateful you all love animals else I would feel odd. Thanks for all your advice.

Gosh Kitchen, I wish I could help. I have dealt with all sorts of animals and have even put some down, when it was time. I just don't know your situation.

But your vet does. You stated he has not suggested euthanasia, and perhaps for very good reasons. But you could broach the question with him. Tell him you are confused because of the advice you have been given, and make sure he knows that all you want is what is best for your pet.

Am getting older and my sight sure isn't what it was and I don't hear all that well but I would hate to be put to sleep just for those flaws.

All I can suggest again is talk to your vet, not some impersonal guy in the paper.

And good luck and God bless.

:) I once read in a book that it doesnt matter if they go blind,deaf cant control bladder etc as long as the dog is still getting joy out of things like their favorite toy or when you come home and so on.When they get absolutley no happiness out of anything then it may be time.Only you can dedide that.Other than that I say quit screwing around and get another dog for your dog and see what happens.

Just don't be selfish.
Sometimes it is just time to let them go over the
Proverbial "Rainbow Bridge".

My 2 labs ARE my children, and I do not relish the
day when I have to make the decision.

Big cyber hug to you!

If your dog is still happy and not in a lot of pain, then it's just a matter of how much you're willing to deal with. I think I could deal with quite a bit for my little Chloe.

ITK, as you may know, I had to make this very hard decision with my precious friend Buster. When it came time for Buster, I knew in my heart it was time to let him go. The pain he was suffering was in his eyes. He was laying there, unable to get up, unable to relieve himself, just tired and frail. I knew that the right decision was to let him go, to have him put down. So that night, I just loved on him and loved on him. Then the next day, I held him in my arms as we laid him to rest.... sorry stop for a cry.... Such a hard decision to make, but trust me, you WILL know... your heart will tell you when it is time to let your friend go, and your friend will tell you... and you wont feel bad or have remorse about it. But you will miss your friend and hurt from that.

Search your heart, take time with your friend, is he telling you it is time to go? And if you are searching for a companion, perhaps an older dog... I figure a puppy would be way to much activity for a dog that is deaf and blind. Or even a kitty as someone mentioned earlier.

Please keep us posted..

It all depends on whether the dog is happy and otherwise healthy. Our neighbors' dog is old, deaf, and blind, and she is happy just to be near them. She has occasional wetting accidents, but overall she is a happy dog. If not another dog to keep her company, how about a cat? Our dog and cat get along fine, as most really do. You might even be able to find an older, proven placid cat.

:) Barbara

:) An older cat might be good but a kitten will hang around the dog,sleeping with it and so on I would be worried an older cat would just ignore the dog.

I put my last dog down when I couldn't stand to see her pain. The Vet knew her very well, so there was no question of it being a right decision. Hubby and I brought her and held her until the vet told us she was gone. She was walking into walls and falling over on her side. It was obvious that she was getting no joy from life, only misery. You will know when the time is right. When Keiki goes there won't be any more dogs for awhile. I want to travel and sleep. Cats are quite a bit more independent. But it is a personal choice. I just don't want any more puddles or land bombs, which I have been living with for a few years now. I wouldn't acquire a dog just to keep Keiki company. As it is we go nowhere for more than a few hours to make sure she is OK. Yes, us dog lovers are sympathetic. I did used to be a cat owner, and they are easier (you cannot leave a dog for a day, they need constant company; I've left cats for up to three days and they didn't even miss me for a minute). Anyway, my advice is to only get a pet you love, not to keep your dog company. If YOU want companionship, then that is one thing. Otherwise, cuddle and love your doggie until his time comes.

jpmcgrew said:
:) An older cat might be good but a kitten will hang around the dog,sleeping with it and so on I would be worried an older cat would just ignore the dog.
Yeah, I thought about that too. Just like dogs and people, cats and kittens are all different too, so it would depend on the personalities of all involved. Also, when I said older, I meant a young adult, or even an older kitten--young enough to adapt well but old enough to be a little calm. Come to think of it though, a young kitten would probably be more likely to take right to the dog without being afraid. :cool:

Also, Claire was right about the reasons for getting another pet. If the second pet is just to keep the first one company, a second one should not be gotten. It has to be just as loved as the first one.

:) Barbara

Love

From all of your posts, I can sure tell how much love you give your pets, cats or dogs. This sure makes me feel good to know all of you care for your precious ones. It is truly humbling to have all of you take the time to share your thoughts with me about my precious China. (Name grandma gave him when she got him. Even though I took the dog a short time later as she thought she would roll over him w/her wheelchair, the family said the name stays) So the dog is very special as, mom passed shortly after she gave the dog to me. Some kind of connection in my heart, I guess.

Each and every comment is so special to me. The loss of the pet is so personal. I had to take him to vet yesterday as I thought he was losing one of his teeth due to the smacking of his mouth so often. The vet said his mouth okay. I told him about the comment in the paper and he said this man formally was president of Humane Society of America. The vet felt his thoughts are really not how most vets feel. Said to form my own conclusion about giving up a pet. (I wish our vet was my doctor. So sincere and more important he allows you to think about what you want to say)

Thanks for all the personal opinions and advice. You all must relate. aunt dot I feel the same way. Just because someone has few limitations, don't turn out the lights. Woman in the office yesterday t old me she always gives her dogs away when they are six years old. I could hardly stand to talk to her after she said that. What if someone stopped talking to her at certain age? I guess I am odd but I put myself in others place.

Thanks once again and wish me luck in finding the ONE or Two or take them all!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom