"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I like to float around the pool, reading my Kindle. Unfortunately, it's been too hot for that this past week. So it's inside with the A/C.
You are a brave individual. Either that or you have a spare kindle laying around in case you drop that one in the pool.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's most important to keep your head (and the brain therein) cool. Pour the cold water on your head and drink the room temp water.

You first.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't have to, I'm indoors in AC.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout

You are a brave individual. Either that or you have a spare kindle laying around in case you drop that one in the pool.
Lol! I have a waterproof case! Works like a charm. A freezer ziplock works in a pinch too.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

My electric bill last month was the lowest it has been at the farm--$60. Shock! So, I'm running the A/C at night. I keep a spray bottle handy that I fill will cold water--I mist myself all day long...no wonder I feel sticky! I am about to turn on the flash freezer and stuff my pillows in it...it's empty, the pillows will be nice and COLD by the time I go to bed...and I might do the same with the sheets and down duvet and I'll crank the A/C in the bedroom and close the door. But then, I like to sleep in a cold bedroom (with the A/C on I need my summer-weight down duvet). In the winter, the window is open the DH says it is like sleeping in a fridge...(the advantage of heating with wood). I don't know how he knows that...I'll have to ask him if he slept in the fridge when he was a child...I'll be gone most of August, so the electric bill shouldn't break the budget for the time I've been cranking the A/C. The temp is supposed to "drop" to a balmy 27C on Sunday--can't wait!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

Yeah, but cool-to-cold give instant relief. We have only two window air conditioners, and we run one during the day, the other during the night. Neither quite do the job. Stepping outside and back in at least make you realize what work they ARE doing!

I make lots of extra ice cubes. My doggie loves them. I put a couple in her bowl and she is happy, both lapping up the water, then splashing with her paws to get them out, then playing "soccer" with them.

Every morning I get up and make a container of ice, plus add one tray to an extra bag. Don't have an extra freezer, just top of the freezer.

I am normally a really hot shower-taker, and showers are now luke-warm to-cool.

I do laundry, specifically drying, very early in the morning. Ditto any household jobs that require sweat.

Luckily, I am an early riser, so I think of things to cook right around sunrise that I can refrigerate and eat cold later.

Most of my female friends wouldn't dream of leaving the house without makeup and hot-curled and/or blow dried hair. I'm not much on either even in good weather, but what would be the point now?

Before I go to bed, I make sure we have at least a gallon of water in the fridge, and all 6 ice cube trays filled.

Lots of popsicles, preferably low sugar and/or low fat popsicles in the freezer.

Forget gardening. I just go out and water early. If the weeds want the garden, they can have it, I'm not going to fight them! Not in this heat!

It was different when I lived in Florida and had a fully central A/C house and a swimming pool. Then I'd fight it. Here I just say, OK, I give in. Of course it will only last a few weeks here, there it was months on end, but relieve was easier.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #17
Everymom

Come on over for a visit people, I'm still wearing jeans and the occasional hoodie. Its only about 73F right now.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Well--a friend was going to come out to the farm for "girls' night" on Sunday. I called today and she happened to mention her mom is in BC. Mom has an in-ground pool. We've moved girls' night to tomorrow night--she has to do pool chores...I plan on spending as much time as I can in the pool before I have to drive back to the farm Saturday morning. I was tempted to ask if I could "house sit" for her mom until I leave on Thursday...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #19
Executive Chef

one way to beat the heat is to find ways to get the chills. and you don't have to get the flu or run a high grade fever to do it, either. one very pleasant and effective way to do it is to tune in to sytycd on wednesday nights for two hours. you'll be looking for a throw cover in no time. okay, so that was my very lame way to (hopefully) turn somebody on to this really phenom dance show that has had my undivided attention two nights a week for the last four summers.--and goose bumps layered over exquisite thrills are guaranteed....:)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #20
Head Chef

I have a pool, and generally, I swim til I am cool, do garden chores til I heat up, back to the pool, repeat as needed.

This week, the pool is too hot to be refreshing, so I am hanging out indoors. I let myself get heat exhaustion about 2 weeks ago, and the doc said stay out of the heat, period!! Once you suffer from heat exhaustion, you are more susceptible for a while, and I have done it twice already this summer. Dumb.

If you are sweating like a horse, and then get a little dizzy, get your silly butt out of the heat--don't let it progress to nausea and headache and spots in front of your eyes!! (And by the time you get to that point, your brain is not working correctly, so you are in real danger--you don't understand how hot you are.)