"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Dog days are here again, what are you doing/not doing-to cope?

it seems sirius, the dog star, is having its way with us again. how are you spending these dog day afternoons? anyone know the astronomical explanation for our current dog day sufferings? i made extra room in the freezer compartment of my refrigerator yesterday, and put in four extra ice cube trays. while i know that hot drinks are better for you than chilled ones in hot weather, i cannot seem to convince my non-intellectual sweltering self of this practical truth....

Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
it seems sirius, the dog star, is having its way with us again. how are you spending these dog day afternoons? anyone know the astronomical explanation for our current dog day sufferings? i made extra room in the freezer compartment of my refrigerator yesterday, and put in four extra ice cube trays. while i know that hot drinks are better for you than chilled ones in hot weather, i cannot seem to convince my non-intellectual sweltering self of this practical truth....
I swear, when I read your comment; " i made extra room in the freezer compartment of my refrigerator yesterday..." at that point, I was sure I was next going to read "so I could crawl in the freezer to cool off"..., but you fooled me!

I'm hiding inside the house, inside the car or inside some other places with air conditioning. My yard looks like hell, and needs mowing badly, but I just can't bring myself to go out and do it lately. Here in the Southern USA, it's hot and humid. Pretty typical for this time of year.

I'm listening to a duet of my air conditioner running and my wallet sobbing. My last electric bill was the highest one I've ever had in my life ($350). Yikes!!!! My A/C is set on 78F, but it runs, and runs, and runs. I just had it break down and the dual capacitors were replaced and the freon topped off ($218). I now have 57F air at the vents.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Not much different here. I am loving it. I became unemployed a few weeks ago, which was a mixed blessing, so it is sort of like a holiday for me. Shorts, sandals, kayaks, bbq, the odd playing gig, cleaning out a few storage areas around the house, ice cold beverages. I am going to enjoy it until I have to go back to work.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

A/C and fans make it quite comfortable and cooking on the grill helps. The great outdoors-you can have it.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Thank goodness for AC and ceiling fans! I've made coffee ice cubes which facilitates iced coffee, one of my favorite coolers, AND keep plenty of my favorite sodium-free sparkling mineral water in the fridge. So refreshing.

Watermelon helps remove the humidity. Makes a tasty salad with feta, arugula and a lemony vinaigrette.

Avoiding cooking wherever possible. Have nowhere to grill except my stovetop, and even turning on the gas heats up the kitchen.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
while i know that hot drinks are better for you than chilled ones in hot weather, i cannot seem to convince my non-intellectual sweltering self of this practical truth....

I've never seen any substantial medical evidence to back that rumor, so give your non-intellectual sweltering self a pat on the back. :) We were warned against it in the athletic training courses I took in college. While the following may not be from the perfect medical source, it sums up what I was taught in school and have heard from most medical professionals:

"Some doctors suggest that room temperature or body temperature water is better than cold water, because the body has to expend energy to heat cold water to body temperature, resulting in some water loss. On the other hand, some doctors say that after physical exertion, you should drink cold water since it will help cool the body more effectively than room temperature water.What is clear is most people who drink cold water are likely to consume more of it, since it tends to taste better and is more satisfying. Even if drinking cold water results in marginal water loss, the extra water you will probably drink will help make up for this."

As this suggests, the jury seems to be out on room or body temp vs. cold water, but the only arguments I've seen for actual warm/hot drinks is that they are more relaxing and that they make you sweat more. Personally, if I'm already overheated, a hot drink is not going to help me relax. As for the latter, if you can feel the sweat on your skin, you're sweating plenty already. Once you start to feel wet from sweat, (you need to wipe it away to keep from dripping, etc) it means you're sweating faster than it can evaporate (which is how sweating helps your body cool itself), so any more sweat is superfluous and wasteful.Then you just have to drink more water! It's true that warm and hot beverages can aid in digestion of fatty foods, but that has nothing to do with the temperature outside. Sorry, I don't mean to be a know-it-all, it's just one of the things they pounded into our heads in school. I'll step down off my soapbox now.

As for you question, I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant. When I asked my doctor how pregnant women survive during the summer here with the heat. He said "Stay out of it." I was pretty active throughout my first pregnancy, back in WA state, even hiking and such but it's just too hot here! I get my exercise walking around at work, and that's about it. I'm staying indoors, cooking in large batches every couple days so I can turn the stove on as infrequently as possible, and eating far too much ice cream! Like Timothy, I'm allowing my wallet to sob and recently turned up the AC. I ended up having to get IV fluids at the hospital last week, despite my 80+ ounces of water (mostly room temp) a day, because we were trying to tough it out to save on electricity. Now we'll just deal with the higher bill. It's not worth the risk!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

It's most important to keep your head (and the brain therein) cool. Pour the cold water on your head and drink the room temp water.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I've never seen any substantial medical evidence to back that rumor...
Take two people and stand them next to each other in sweltering heat.

Give one some hot tea to drink and have that person drink it up quickly. It will make that person even hotter than they were, initially, and make them sweat profusely. When they have finished their self-torture, they will then be covered in sweat and both stopping that foolishness and the wind cooling them will make them THINK they are cooler than they were to start with.

It's kind of like poking yourself in the eye....it feels so good when you quit!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like to float around the pool, reading my Kindle. Unfortunately, it's been too hot for that this past week. So it's inside with the A/C.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Executive Chef

today i sat down to a double order of my favorite sushi rolls: spicy tuna, calif. roll w/avocado and cucumber, and spicy eel--accompanied by the usual wafer thin ginger slices and wasabi. i'm having this rare sushi treat along with a plate piled high with chilled watermelon wedges cut thickly, and a tall glass of scarcely sweetened ice tea with floating slices of lemon on top. i have turned off the a/c for two hours, but not my trusty little old faithful fan, which is helping to keep me cool while i savor my summer luncheon....okay, here's my deal: i figure my sushi extravagance has been bought and paid for with the electricity i have saved by not running the air conditioner for 2-3 hours...so that's my rationale, and i don't need to hear from any of you math geniuses about how i actually only saved 93c in electric either.... :)